5 1/2 months post op.

rascalflatt24

Reaction score
Ok I know what the majority of responses to my post are gonna be before I even finish this. Patience is a virtue, ha!

Anyways, I am currently 5 1/2 months post op and have some concerns. I have a few sprouts that I can feel popping through, but there are several that I know have not popped through yet. At this point I am very concerned that some of the grafts did not take. I have alot of little red spots on my scalp, which I have been told means that there is activity under the skin and to just be patient. With that being said, I have a bad feeling that this is going to wind up being a disaster. From things I have read, I should see more results then what I have at this point. I know everyone is different but still. At what timeline should I be concerned that the transplant did not take fully? Anyone else on here been a late bloomer? Thanks for any insight or comfort for that matter.

vayder

Reaction score
Be patient..Do not think about it too much..im nearing 5 months post up myself...give it another 3-4 months before you even think of panicking. Have you been taking monthly post up pictures. How many grafts have you done and with whom.

fnlostish

Established Member
Reaction score
my Doctor told me 12-18 months before the full effects of a hair transplant are known.
took about 1 year in my case
2005 transplant.

G

RF24,

You are going on 9 months post-op at this point. Any improvement? Hope things are well with you.

vayder

Reaction score
I'm at 7 months with Dr. Armani. 4000 FUE. I just cut my hair as short as I can without buzzing it to see the changes up close and clearer. Can't wait until results.

G

You must already be seeing lots coming in at 7 months right?

vayder

Reaction score
gillenator said:

It getting darker but not that much increase in hair density. I'm hoping to see more density by the next 2 months before I start calling Dr. Armani a genius. But, to answer your question. NO!

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
foozwooz said:
gillenator said:

It getting darker but not that much increase in hair density. I'm hoping to see more density by the next 2 months before I start calling Dr. Armani a genius. But, to answer your question. NO!

How's your results so far compared to "Hooray For Hair" who had his procedure done with Umar:

http://www.hoorayforhair.com/My%20Pics.htm

vayder

Reaction score
Matt27 said:
foozwooz said:
gillenator said:

How's your results so far compared to "Hooray For Hair" who had his procedure done with Umar:

http://www.hoorayforhair.com/My%20Pics.htm

Nice to see that my hair progress is nicely compared to his. To clarify one thing beforehand, I'm currently 15 days away from 7 months. My progress seems to correlate well with this guy. Dr. Armani says 9 months is main marker and growth continues for the rest of the year. Cheers!

reynoldskris

Reaction score
I am glad it can take longer than everyone seems to say. I feel like everyone preaches "3-5 months" It has been 4 months for me and pretty much nothing has happened. Very little at least. I received 2100 grafts. So you all believe I DONT need to freak out? Because i was beginning to. When you spend that kind of money on something so important to you, its hard not to expect miracle results. Thanks for the post though, i am new to the site

vayder

Reaction score
reynoldskris said:
I am glad it can take longer than everyone seems to say. I feel like everyone preaches "3-5 months" It has been 4 months for me and pretty much nothing has happened. Very little at least. I received 2100 grafts. So you all believe I DONT need to freak out? Because i was beginning to. When you spend that kind of money on something so important to you, its hard not to expect miracle results. Thanks for the post though, i am new to the site

It's good someone has replied to this thread. I was confident that I will see continued hair growth through out the year. As 4-5 months past I saw the small little hairs and felt other ones as I ran my hand through my front and middle area. I noticed sharp strong hairs, they felt like stubble at times. Now I'm 8 months post op and I have begun to worry a little bit BUT I still won't lose hope that easily AND I still won't go into panic either. My front and middle area are still very bad ( hasn't changed from 4-5 months post op) and I see very little growth in the area where I had my work done. I been buzzing my sides ever since and cutting my front and crown as short as possible using scissors only then switching to a shaver with a guard 6-7 months post op. Now I only have 3-4 months left to a year so maybe my growth is late and will pick up just before. I will definitely start to panic 10-11 months post op. I have hope until then. I'm supposed to be 70 percent growth now with my hair thickening but none of this has happened yet. I took care of my hair and scalp, proper medication and all. I took 25 days off after the operation. Sacrificed all the sports I love and did not go out to clubs or bars for 3 months (no drinking either). And not to mention the money and loans I have to pay for the next 3 years. But money isn't the real problem here, not having hair growth IS. I don't care about the money, I just want hair. I will care about the money ( as it will certainly depress me) if it's gone to waste. MY only possible wrong doing is that I started playing soccer 7 months post op and tennis 5 months post op. But I never strained myself doing these sports. I also starting working out regularly 6 months post op.

My story is honest and I'm just try to explain my current situation. Btw, I had a procedure of 4000 grafts FUE done on only my frontal sections and hoping for growth ( actually praying for it). I'm keeping my head high on this as I could be very disappointed in the near future. Some close people to me already think I got screwed and that I will see little to no growth. Others are hoping I get growth because I'm like a laboratory rat for them, they want to see a successful operation before they jump on the boat and spend all that money on a FUE procedure.

SOrry if the post was too long....

disco_stu

Reaction score
Re: 5 1/2 months post op. - Some things to consider

Are you taking Propecia? You should have been on Propecia for at least one year prior to the hair transplant. Any hairs that fall out following the transplant due to shock loss has a better chance of growing back if you were already on Propecia. Remember, DHT is what shrinks the hair follicle.

You should also be on a high dose of Biotin and Zinc to help with fast hair regrowth after the transplant. Give the Laser Comb a try also.

I'm just curious, what prompted you to get a 4000 FUE surgery?

FUE in this high graft range is too risky. FUE is time consuming and a painstaking surgery. The doctor and technicians spend more time removing/harvesting the grafts rather than placing them. For a 4000 graft FUE procedure, this will definitely cause fatigue even among the most skilled physicians and staff, which can increase the transection rate. FUE is good for small surgeries.

Woods, from Australia, invented the technique. It was Rassman and Bernstein who were the first US surgeons to commercially practice FUE in the states; however, they don't perform a lot of FUE surgeries. It's not a viable option for many patients. Have you ever read Rassman's blog? He wrote a post on fue:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/11/17/w ... about-fue/

vayder

Reaction score
Re: 5 1/2 months post op. - Some things to consider

disco_stu said:
Are you taking Propecia? You should have been on Propecia for at least one year prior to the hair transplant. Any hairs that fall out following the transplant due to shock loss has a better chance of growing back if you were already on Propecia. Remember, DHT is what shrinks the hair follicle.

You should also be on a high dose of Biotin and Zinc to help with fast hair regrowth after the transplant. Give the Laser Comb a try also.

I'm just curious, what prompted you to get a 4000 FUE surgery?

FUE in this high graft range is too risky. FUE is time consuming and a painstaking surgery. The doctor and technicians spend more time removing/harvesting the grafts rather than placing them. For a 4000 graft FUE procedure, this will definitely cause fatigue even among the most skilled physicians and staff, which can increase the transection rate. FUE is good for small surgeries.

Woods, from Australia, invented the technique. It was Rassman and Bernstein who were the first US surgeons to commercially practice FUE in the states; however, they don't perform a lot of FUE surgeries. It's not a viable option for many patients. Have you ever read Rassman's blog? He wrote a post on fue:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/11/17/w ... about-fue/

I have diffuse thinning on top. I received 4000 FUE on only the frontal sections. My procedure has clearly been a failure in my eyes now. I was excited 4 months ago when I saw the sharp hairs growing but now they don't even appear. I made my decision because the doctor was a good salesman. The guys he uses as models had full heads from FUE? and now I know that's not the case. Most of the salesman models had the FUSS procedure done on them. I'm going to meet the doctor soon and discuss my situation. Now why did I opt for the FUE in high dosage

1. The Doctor used salesman models with full heads pretending they only had FUE procedures when most had combinations of both FUE and FUSS.

2. I was advised to do 4000 by the doctor and I agreed because I did not want to have multiple small surgeries through the year.

3. I believed that I would be fine with 4000 grafts. I was clearly misled and used. I should have done 2000 FUE only and tested it out because I was a first timer. But that's too late now.

4. I really believed I would have a successful operation because the doctor was well known and the best around when coming to FUE.

I have a small chance that I might get new hairs ( to make the front area appear full) by the time one year goes by since the procedure.

and I do NOT use propecia anymore because its unhealthy and screws with your hormones. I do not want to use drugs ever again. I was on it once and it affected me in serious ways. I never want these side affects anymore. But I do use MSM 1000, Amino, minoxidil, Betnovate, Fish Oil tablets, and coconut oil. But what about Zinc, I think I get that from my diet and current supplements.

Btw, thanks for Rassman's link.

disco_stu

Reaction score
zinc promotes hair growth along with Biotin. Were battling hair loss on a few fronts:

1. Reduce DHT levels - DHT shrinks our hair follicles and we need to reduce DHT production - Propecia is your best option as it's currently the only FDA approved drug to treat male pattern baldness

2. Proper scalp hygiene - Try Tea Tree Oil shampoo. I use organic shampoos without sulfates. You will definitely notice an improvement in that your scalp is less oily, less dry, and that you shed less hair

3. Proper hair nutrition - Since we suffer from male pattern baldness, our hair follicles are much more sensitive to DHT and needs more nutrition for healthier growth than someone who doesn't suffer from male pattern baldness.

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
disco_stu said:
zinc promotes hair growth along with Biotin. Were battling hair loss on a few fronts:

1. Reduce DHT levels - DHT shrinks our hair follicles and we need to reduce DHT production - Propecia is your best option as it's currently the only FDA approved drug to treat male pattern baldness

I thought Minoxidil was also FDA approved drug for treating male pattern baldness. Is that not true?

disco_stu

Reaction score
Minoxidil is a man made substance whereas Zinc occurs naturally.

Minoxidil may or may not work. It works for some of us whereas in others it does nothing more than produce dry/flaky irritated scalp.

We need to reduce DHT levels because we have a genetic predisposition in which DHT will shrink and eventually destroy our hair follicles. I'm finding that a diet with NO red meat but high in soy protein along with fruits/vegetables, biotin, zinc, beta sitosterol, saw palmetto, vitamin E, and fish body oils is keeping my hair intact.

I also only wash my hair with organic and all-natural tea tree oil shampoo with NO sulfates.

I also user the laser comb every other night.

I do take finasteride - 1.25 mg.

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
disco_stu said:
Minoxidil is a man made substance whereas Zinc occurs naturally.

Minoxidil may or may not work. It works for some of us whereas in others it does nothing more than produce dry/flaky irritated scalp.

We need to reduce DHT levels because we have a genetic predisposition in which DHT will shrink and eventually destroy our hair follicles. I'm finding that a diet with NO red meat but high in soy protein along with fruits/vegetables, biotin, zinc, beta sitosterol, saw palmetto, vitamin E, and fish body oils is keeping my hair intact.

I also only wash my hair with organic and all-natural tea tree oil shampoo with NO sulfates.

I also user the laser comb every other night.

I do take finasteride - 1.25 mg.

Thanks for the info. I'll try out some of these natural diet stuff and see.

vayder

Reaction score
Gents,

It has been a long time since I posted. I just wanted to say my FUE procedure has been a failure and no growth whatsoever. I kind of wish I was one of the lucky few who had a successful transplant. 1 year of hopes and dreams of some degree of thick hair are now over.