4-5 month second shed, terriblee on the big 3

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Yo guys I've been on finasteride for 13 months and minoxidil for 9 months. After the initial shed I had great results for 2-3 months then a terrible second shed. My 2nd shed has been going on for about 5 months. My temples have come back a little and am getting some decent regrowth there after the second shed. However, my hairline is looking terrible. I mean I've lost soooo much density it sucks. I'm considering stopping minoxidil on the hairline cause there's no regrowth but I like how the foam makes my hair thicker and easier to style. I hate this and am still shedding bad. I've never seen anybody post about a 5 month second shed and the shed shouldn't be going on that long. Why won't anybody post about their sucesses getting through a second shed?

The only things I can think of are that I experienced a second shed from minoxidil thenmonth or two later a second minoxidil shed. Also about 6 months ago I switched from propecia to generic c finesteride (so from 1mg to 1.25mg) a day. Other than that I have NO other explanations. Maybe since my hairline has gone back I've been applying the minoxidil even farther back causing a shed further back.

Someone who has gotten through a bad second shed please post. Its rare to have good results then resume BAD shedding after that for 5 months. Something is wrong and I can't figure it out.

And guys please stay on subject...

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Never went through a "second minoxidil" shed. More likely you're suffering a second finasteride shed IMO. They are powerful treatments give it at least 18 months before evaluating.

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Never went through a "second minoxidil" shed. More likely you're suffering a second finasteride shed IMO. They are powerful treatments give it at least 18 months before evaluating.

The only thing is I'm only shedding where I apply the minoxidil I believe. This is true especially on the hairline and the inner temples...

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how many hairs are you losing a day? I remember reading your post somewhere and its 15 -20? i have been on The Big Three since Feb this year and my hair has been suffering from the second shedding since this July/August. I was losing like 100 - 200 hairs a day. I was so distraught to see my hairs falling everywhere and shaved my head in early Nov. I think I am still shedding, not as many as before but I can still see short hairs falling on my pillow and when I apply minoxidil....sorry there is nothing I can do to help you but I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone...

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
I appreciate it homie. This hairloss/ uncertainty of medication thing is tough to swallow. We just need to continue to be strong. It has stabilized a tad as in the fact that I'm not shedding 20 hairs every time I apply minoxidil but I still see tons of thick hairs go. The shed I've been going through this time around has been nothing but thick hairs which is odd. I hope we have a weird case of a super long second shed. Hopefully it's from the fact that I experienced a year finasteride shed followed by a 7th month minoxidil shed. My hairline has taken a big hit and the temples are thinner but moving up and closing the gap. If **** hits the fan then I'm going to stop applying minoxidil to myhairine and keep it only in the temples and vertex. I just hope something turns around. I'll be hopeful if I get any positive change even if it doesnt take my hair to what is was before.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Still in a rut myself, brah. I've eased my nizoral use to 1-2 times a week as opposed to 3-4 times a week, see if it helps. Man, when I started finasteride and noticed great results at the 3 months mark I was thinking I'd be in for a treat by this time, not suffering another shed, lasting almost 5 months! Left side of my hairline is still haunting me. Don't know whether to jump on minoxidil come the year mark (February 2013) or wait until 18 months before deciding ....

:crazy: