34 years old man and almost completely bald?

TeeZee

Reaction score
34 years old man here. My friend told me a couple of weeks ago that he thinks I'm almost completely bald. I know my hair has been thinning for quite of a while. Maybe for some 10-15 years but I didn't think it was a big deal since about all men in my family are either completely bald or very much balding. I thought I had been lucky until now.

So I took a picture of back of my head as it is quite difficult to see it myself from the mirror:
240620131725 (Small).jpg

After taking the picture I now could see the bald spot there. But I didn't really think the situation were that hopeless. So I went to the doctor to see what he could give me. And he gave a recipe of this Finasteride stuff 1,25mg a day.

Is this the way to go? My hair is like very thin and fragile so it breaks easily when combing. I read about this stuff and it should thicken the hair? So do you guys think I still have a chance to maintain my hair? Maybe even cover the bald spot?

TeeZee

Reaction score
Good advice from QC. How is your hairline holding up?

Well it has been receding for past 10 years or so but very slowly.

Here's my current (2013) hairline:
240620131727 (Small).jpg

Here's my hairline in 2003 (I don't have many old photos of myself):
2003.jpg

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well it has been receding for past 10 years or so but very slowly.

Here's my current (2013) hairline:
View attachment 20482

Here's my hairline in 2003 (I don't have many old photos of myself):
View attachment 20484

Like you I don't have many older pictures to compare. Your hairline doesn't appear to be drastically different to when you were 24 in all honesty :) I'd either get some concealer for your crown or cut the hair shorter, as the length you have emphasises the loss you have. finasteride should all being well thicken what you have, and if after a year it hasn't, I'd consider minoxidil. In the meantime get some Nizoral shampoo and use that twice a week. But ensure you condition afterwards as it tends to dry your hair out.

TeeZee

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I'm thinking of getting that Nizoral shampoo and see how it goes from there.

One thing I have noticed that I don't seem to lose that much hair after showering or any other times. Maybe a few hairs now and then. But the hair overall is very thin and won't grow very long from the top. That is about 60-80mm.

What I didn't mention earlier is that I have been on a vegetarian diet for about that 10 years. I haven't eating any additional vitamins at all during this time period. I read somewhere that I should have be eating B12-vitamines because not eating meat but it probably has nothing to do with the hair. And as the doctor said that this is typical male pattern baldness.

Are there any vitamins I am missing that could improve my hair quality?

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I'm thinking of getting that Nizoral shampoo and see how it goes from there.

One thing I have noticed that I don't seem to lose that much hair after showering or any other times. Maybe a few hairs now and then. But the hair overall is very thin and won't grow very long from the top. That is about 60-80mm.

What I didn't mention earlier is that I have been on a vegetarian diet for about that 10 years. I haven't eating any additional vitamins at all during this time period. I read somewhere that I should have be eating B12-vitamines because not eating meat but it probably has nothing to do with the hair. And as the doctor said that this is typical male pattern baldness.

Are there any vitamins I am missing that could improve my hair quality?

You won't necessarily have lots of hair falling out. That isn't how balding works. As to supplements, I'd take a multi vitamin that contains iron.

TeeZee

Reaction score
4 weeks of Finasteride. And of Nizoral for one week (thanks Chris).

June 5th 2013:
050620131636 (Small).jpg

June 30th 2013:
290620131795 (Small).jpg

Any progress do you think? I'm not sure but I'm usually too positive about everything and get excited of nothing. I think my hair takes longer to dry now than before.

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like you've made some noticeable progress in the crown area. If it continues to thicken up you'll be looking good a the six month mark.

greathair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was experiencing significant, rapid hair loss along the temples and top of the scalp (just behind hairline) at 34 too. My crown was relatively unaffected. Crown: The same, maybe better Top of scalp: Exceptional. Considerable regrowth, hair came back thicker. Hairline/Temples: Considerable re-growth. Not back to "normal", but still very impressive. Propecia has shown the most benefit in clinical studies + real world practice in the crown area. Its benefits are less pronounced as it nears the hairline. This has been my experience. Hair loss stopped within 6 months, significant re-growth @ 9 months. Re-growth continued thru 18 months, then has pretty much slowed down / stopped. I have 3 close friends who also take it, all have had excellent. results. For all who take Propecia, wait a full year before making a decision to discontinue. Easy, one tab in the AM. That's it.
prop24.png

Last edited: