3 year old losing what little hair she had.

Saphire2

Reaction score
My daughters hair has never really grown, still bald on sides and front but had a few inches on crown. Last few weeks this has been falling out and can see her scalp again all over. Took her docs thet said she seems healthy, her scalp looks fine her diets ok so they are sure it's just normal. I haven't seen any other 3 year olds with such little hair though. Any ideas why it doesn't grow or what I could do to help?

beaner

Reaction score
I'm not sure that you'll really find any answers here as the vast majority of folks on this site are young men experiencing hair loss. If it makes you feel any better, my niece's hair took a very long time to grow in normally. She turned 4 a few months ago and it's just started to grow in thick and full. How is your hair and her father's hair? It could be just hereditary if one or both of you have thin/fine hair. Try to find some pics of yourself and her father at a young age and compare to how her's looks.

Saphire2

Reaction score
Update

Hi I thought I'd post an update on here.

over the last year my daughters hair has continued to shed and thin out and then thicken up again for a bit. It hasn't grown more than a couple of inches in length in any part, her hair is fine,curly and dark brown. We have no history of slow growth or hair loss in the family.

she is happy, healthy, full of energy, very petite but always has been! apart from the hair issue I can't see that anything could be wrong! like thyroid issues or low iron,

we have seen a trichologist! she did not seem concerned! and said it could be loose anagen syndrome! she said this was more common in very blonde girls. There is no treatment for it. Just normally grow out of it with age and you need to be as gentle as possible with the hair.

we have also seen a dermatologist , who said it was telogen elluvium and would pass with time. As it's been nearly a year I am doubtful of this. They advised using a mild shampoo and that was it. They checked her nails and teeth which were all fine, and said as she is otherwise healthy they didn't feel that blood tests were necessary,

I have tried all kinds of things, natural remedies

- - - Updated - - -

... Like coconut oil or olive oil massaged into the scalp , fast shampoo, nioxin vitamins, biotin, washing more regularly washing less regularly, brushing more, brushing less, and nothing seems to make a difference.
A satin pillowcase helps I think as I don't see hairs on her pillow anymore. And I don't ever attempt putting little pony tails in or hair clips.

i don't really feel that it's normal for a nearly 4 year old to keep shedding hair, but I am now stuck as to what I can do to help her. If anyone has any ideas I would love to know,
i have decided to focus no building her confidence, and not making a big deal about the hair and I know really that it has been bothering me more than her, I would love it to never bother her, but as she starts school in a few months. She is often confused for a boy so only wants to wear dresses and be girly, she loves to wear a headband.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about the stressful situation you and your precious daughter may be experiencing. I don't believe there can be anything much more rewarding or frightening as the care and responsible maintenance of one's own child. Can I assume that she's been thoroughly tested by a qualified and respected physician? Please keep us updated and I'll keep her in my prayers. All the best.

Last edited:

Saphire2

Reaction score
Thank you!

Yes it has been hard, but she does seem happy which is the most important thing.

Well we have been doctors who referred us to a dermatologist and separately to a trichologist, they all said not to worry as she is young and will grow out of it.

I said I think she needs blood tests to check there is nothing wrong but the doctor said he would recommend we didn't as it can be very traumatic for a child and as she is otherwise healthy he didn't feel it was necessary! They said leave it another year.

I am not convinced.... Yes she seems healthy but losing her hair doesn't seem normal. Stuck as to what to do really, whether to insist on tests for peace of mind or just carry on waiting !

kidscuts

Reaction score
During these early years, I've found your children's hair can be a bit unpredictable. My child was born with a full head of hair, but soon after his hair began to thin out, almost in the pattern of male pattern baldness. I took him to the childrens hair salon regularly to even out his hair length, so he didn't look like an old man! lol. Now the hair at his crown seems to be filling in (he's now 3) and there is no noticeable hairloss, just still thinner than on the sides. Blood tests came out fine, and he is otherwise a happy healthy boy. I had a similar experience when I was young (judging by pictures), and by the time I was in grammar school, was fine. Unless there are any serious medical issues, I'd just wait it out. Good luck!

Saphire2

Reaction score
Thanks it's nice to hear that someone else has gone through similar!
I am going to wait it out for a while longer. The positive side of all of this is I really do ensure she eats so healthy and understands it's not looks that make people beautiful :) x