2x to 1x a day?

briancl

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has switched to 1x a day application. It just becomes too much of a pain to do in the morning. If my hair is gonna fall out, then I'll stick to the 2x, but anyone ever make the switch?

Thanks,
Brian

SE-freak

Reaction score
One common strategy is 2 years of dual daily applications to reach peak regrowth and then 1x daily for maintenance. My estimation is that this "milk first chill later" strategy works well. I believe that even occasional minoxidil application if you just want to keep things anagen would do if the results are satisfactory.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
One common strategy is 2 years of dual daily applications to reach peak regrowth and then 1x daily for maintenance. My estimation is that this "milk first chill later" strategy works well. I believe that even occasional minoxidil application if you just want to keep things anagen would do if the results are satisfactory.

I plan on reducing my application of minoxidil to once daily, and eventually using Finasteride alone to maintain what minoxidil grew. I have a lot of respect for anyone's hair treatment regimen that involves so much work. Only having been on minoxidil less than two month, I'm already wondering how I'll be able to fit 2x minoxidil application into my schedule.

SE-freak

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
I plan on reducing my application of minoxidil to once daily, and eventually using Finasteride alone to maintain what minoxidil grew.

This is not a good plan. The mechanism by which minoxidil leads to regrowth is completely different from finasteride's. You are going to lose hair.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
joseph49853 said:
I plan on reducing my application of minoxidil to once daily, and eventually using Finasteride alone to maintain what minoxidil grew.

This is not a good plan. The mechanism by which minoxidil leads to regrowth is completely different from finasteride's. You are going to lose hair.

I don't know. I've been fairly successful so far on both Finasteride and Minoxidil, and am considering following the path of a friend who attempted something similar. He started out on minoxidil for a year and then slowly switched to Finasteride alone, and has maintained all of the hair gained, several years after the fact. Yet, we are both diffuse thinners, which might be the real difference maker.

Otherwise, trying to maintain hair with daily medications is a lot like juggling, eventually you're going to drop a few. Although, I'll see how I feel in six months time.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm with SE Freak. Stick with the prescribed regimen. It can be a pain, but if it saves your hair, it's worth it.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have there been any established studies combining both Finasteride and
Minoxidil use? I know there are a few that combine placebos with Finasteride at staggered intervals. Because unless there's some hard scientific data, the only thing left to fall back onto is personal or practical experience... of which incidentally, I've been on Finasteride -- and Minoxidil slightly -- longer than either one of you. :)

SE-freak

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Minoxidil use? I know there are a few that combine placebos with Finasteride at staggered intervals. Because unless there's some hard scientific data, the only thing left to fall back onto is personal or practical experience... of which incidentally, I've been on Finasteride -- and Minoxidil slightly -- longer than either one of you. :)

Experience is quite different from intuition. You have not experienced the transition from finasteride+minoxidil---->finasteride so your guess is as good as mine. And mine is not just a guess.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
joseph49853 said:

Experience is quite different from intuition. You have not experienced the transition from finasteride+minoxidil---->finasteride so your guess is as good as mine. And mine is not just a guess.

But yours is just as much a guess as mine. We both know that Finasteride and Minoxidil work in completely different ways to tackle the same problem... that's a given. But it seems neither of us are aware of any specific scientific studies on this precise combination of their usage, as to how each overlap one another, or as to whether once terminal follicles and/or vellus follicles created with Minoxidil can be maintained with Finasteride.

Trust me, everyone is enthusiastic about taking this stuff at first and becomes excited when they start growing back hair. But there also may come a time where this feeling wanes, and suddenly you want to move on with your life, minimizing any extra involvement. At least taking Finasteride every morning isn't as mundane as applying Minoxidil twice daily. :)

SE-freak

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
We both know that Finasteride and Minoxidil work in completely different ways to tackle the same problem... that's a given.

This is the "hole on your wall". Minoxidil does not work to tackle the problem. It just "pushes" follicles over their default limits while they are being destroyed. Of course finasteride will not restore your 15yo condition of hair so you are going to lose this biased offset. That's it.

Anyway, if you do attempt this please keep in touch and post your progress. It would be very useful.

Good luck.