25 y/o - My progress 5 mo on Topical Propecia

asian

Reaction score
My Story
I never really thought about the idea of hair loss while under the age of 40. But in Sept 2012, while I was getting my hair cut at a Great Clips, the stylist cutting my hair (it wasn't even a great cut either) told me that my hairline was receding. This kind of came to me as a shock and got me concerned about the possibility ever since.

Background
I'm Asian (go figure from my username) and 25. I've always had a widow's peak, which may amplify the "balding" look i am experiencing. My dad has a full head of hair, which I would be happy to rock at his age of 55. However, my maternal grandfather (and his brothers) are all bald bald bald.

Starting Treatment
In late March, I went to see a nearby dermatologist who concluded that I may have male pattern baldness.
I took the plunge and the Dr. prescribed me their in-house Topical Propecia + minoxidil 5% liquid mix and minoxidil 5% + Retin-A liquid mix.

I've been using the following regime for 5 months now (started 3/28):

Regime
Topical Propecia + minoxidil 5% 1ml daily at night
minoxidil 5% + Retin-A 1ml twice a week at night

Picture: Hairline + Temples
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0vomgq3d0em7tu/top-progress.jpg

Picture: Crown
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn5d4qw0uc1n3fe/crown-progress.jpg

Results

Crown
I don't think there has been any change in this department. I wish I took a picture of my crown with my hair dry before I started, but I can safely say it looks the same pre and 7 mo into treatment.

Hairline and Temples
I was hoping for some regrowth in my temples but I am seeing very little change. Seems like the NW2 is here to stay.

The Hair Itself
This is where I feel bummed. The quality of my hair has gone from thick and coarse to this thin wire-y feeling. I am guessing this is what minoxidil does to hair?

It makes it impossible to spike now with hair wax, and is very see-through in the frontal region after I shower. Right now I feel like I'm going through a shedding phase. If I run my fingers through my dry hair, 2-3 thin hairs will fall out. Maybe 30-50 when I shower.

Maybe I was so paranoid to hold on to my hair that I may have made it worse by starting treatment? Maybe I actually don't have that bad of bald genes? ;)

What are the consequences of coming off treatment? Will my hair regress to how it was pre-treatment?

Thank you for listening to my story!

Jrthomas85

Reaction score
I think, unfortunately, that you're asking questions that really can't be answered. No one could say what will happen to your hair if you get off treatments. Your slightly receded hairline might stay in its current state for 10-15 more years or it might start to degrade immediately. Hair loss is unpredictable. Anyone claiming to "know" what will happen to your hair at this point is only guessing.

It appears from the pictures that the minoxidil is at least doing something along your hairline. You say that the quality of your hair has changed, but cosmetically, there has been some regrowth along the hairline.

Also, is there a reason why you're using topical Finasteride instead of taking it orally? If you're really concerned with saving your hair, you're going to have the best odds with taking it orally. If you're using topical finasteride, the hope is that it is absorbed systemically to affect 5AR/DHT. So why not take it in a method that has been tested and proven to work more so than topical delivery?

The bottom line is - No one can tell you what will happen to your hair if you get off treatments. And if you do want to maximize the chances of keeping your hair, you may want to consider oral Finasteride, which has been proven to work much better than topical.

Still_Ill

Reaction score
I have been taking proscar (generic finasteride) and minoxidil for nearly 9 months. I've never tried or heard of topical propecia -- most doctors here in the US will give patients pills instead -- so I can't vouch for its efficacy as a treatment option.

At the 5 month mark, it is still too early to judge how effective your regimen is for you. You may have experienced a shed starting as early as 2 weeks into the regimen and ending around 3 months. This is normal. Assuming your male pattern baldness hasn't progressed, the hairs you lost should grow back thicker in the coming months as long as you stick with the treatment. Many people experience results at around 6-8 months, with results for minoxidil peaking at or after 1 year (I think, because I haven't gotten there yet myself). IMO stopping now could be a bad decision. Whatever gains you've made over the last 5 months from taking minoxidil and propecia will shed if you stop, and your hair might not return to how it was pre-treatment.

Losing 30-50 hairs in the shower is not much at all. It is apparently normal for the average adult to shed around 100 hairs a day.

As for your pictures, it seems like your crown looks good and new hairs are sprouting at the hairline. You probably won't see major results for a few months, but I'd stick with the treatment if I were you. In the latest photo your hairline actually looks much thicker than it does in the first. Patience is key with hair loss treatment, and sometimes gains are very subtle -- overall, maintenance is usually a more achievable goal than dramatic regrowth. Available treatments for our condition are not perfect by any means, but if you choose to take them you have to give them time to work. Whatever you choose to do, best of luck!

asian

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. I am seeing my dermatologist in a week, so I will ask about switching to the oral version. The Dr. originally suggested their topical version due to the possible sides of taking the oral version. If I do decide to switch to the oral version, is there a recommended site to buy finasteride / Propecia / Proscar? What about locally at a Walmart or other pharmacy?

I will admit that the topical is a bit of a chore to apply as well.