25 - balding - starting regime finasteride&min

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people,

New here to the forum, had been checking it out as a non-member though.

I'm popped my first finasteride yesterday (doctor gave me Finasteride Mylan instead of Proscar, which is way too expensive so next time I'll ask them for Proscar).

I started using Kirkland Minoxidil 5% in May. I don't know if it's working, but the placebo effect is.
The last few years I was always worrying about my hair. I pretended not to care, and over all, it's just a minor problem, since I'm a healthy guy living in a beautiful country surrounded by loved ones, so I don't think I should complain all that much :punk: . But I was denying the fact I was balding by not taking good care of my hair and didn't wash it regularly. Edit: I got compliments from my sister and best friend that my hair looks healthier.. it's something!

I now feel more secure, even though I'm balding. I keep way better care of my hair and health (have been an doing sports 3-4 a week since I'm 6 years old).
The meds just help me feel better about myself. I now have a Norwood III and I hope to maintain the hair I have at least till I'm 30, maybe improve the quality a bit since the hair is a bit dull.
This picture is made in May in daylight, before I started treatment. I have bit of a comb forward to hide the fact my temples are bald - even though it's obvious they are. Just looks better because I have a high forehead..
It hasn't really changed so far, got a bit blonder by the sun maybe. Will keep you people up to date! :)

hair-may.jpg

Reactions: Oro

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
Holy crap I think the Minoxidil is working. Less hairs fall out, I just count one or two when I wash my hair... and when I run my hands through my hair most of the time no loose hairs... I apply in the morning and after dinner (9 am & pm). My hair seems to be a bit thicker & a lot healthier. I used to have an itches on my head, no more.

2,5 weeks since I've started finasteride, no sides so far. I hope this willen give me even better results but I expect it to take a while.. patience is not something that goes easy for me though ;)

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
crown1.jpgcrown2.jpgfront-comped-back.jpgfront-scruffy.jpgfront-front.jpg

My crown has a good cowlick but it's ok. The second pic is my hair brushed back which I normally don't do but I hoped you could see where I'm at. All pictures made in daylight so the light is really strong. All other light makes my hair look better then this..
My hair looks ok when completely wet (so I don't mind showering with a girl) but doesn't look good when between wet & dry.
Dry it doesn't look so good and people can tell I'm balding, but with Garnier Fructis wax I can give it more volume (haven't applied it in the picture). I luckily have very nice people around me who never make fun about it when I'm with them, so that's a relief.

The minoxidil (4,5 months) doesn't make the hair look very good after applied but I do think it's working, it looks like there are hairs at the hairline which are getting thicker and small hairs (1-2 cm) started growing.
I'm currently using finasteride for 1,5 months and it has not had time to kick in yet, but no sides so I'll be patient.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied because my hair loss has definitely slowed down. I hope to experience some minor regrowth mid-winter or spring since I'll be using finasteride for over 6 months and minoxidil for over 9 months.

- - - Updated - - -

crown-wax.jpgwax1.jpg
Whit a but of wax in my hair it looks like this.. I'll be glad if I can keep it :)

Reactions: Oro

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
I started shedding a week ago, but my hair is starting to look better when dry, looks terrible when wet though. I've been using min since May and finasteride a solid 2 months..
Does anybody know at what time in the regimen people start shedding?

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
update.jpg
A small update: 5 months of minoxidil 5%, 2,5 months of finasteride 1.25mg, no sides at all. My hair seems to get thicker. I have the feeling something is happening, I'm shedding for sure.
Hair looks better than it did when I started finasteride - but I feel the 5 months of min have been more effective than the 2,5 months of finasteride, so min gets the credits ;)

Oh, and I think of getting nizoral as well, but they don't sell it in the Netherlands anymore :\

Neo-Reloaded

Reaction score
Wow congrats bro, so far so good.

You can get regenepure that also has Ketoconazole on their website. Dunno about nizoral but regenepure might help.

Btw have you faced any side effects at all on finasteride?? Thinking about starting it myself.

Keep up the good fight!

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
Neo: no sides what so ever! No pain in my balls, libido going strong.. so I'm happy and I'll just continue :)
Thank you for the tip, I couldn't find nizoral in a Dutch shop and another shampoo only had like 0.25% ketoconazole so that wasn't really going to work (I think I'll need 1% or 2%).. thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow congrats bro, so far so good.

You can get regenepure that also has Ketoconazole on their website. Dunno about nizoral but regenepure might help.

Btw have you faced any side effects at all on finasteride?? Thinking about starting it myself.

Keep up the good fight!

I ordered nizoral online, will take a few weeks to arrive but then I'll be officially using the big 3! :)

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing some small hairs (0-3 cm) at the temples! It's not a lot, but it's going in the right direction. I hope these hairs will continue to grow.
I think I'm losing the same amount of hairs a normal non-balding person does at the moment, can't say I'm shedding. I have the feeling my hair is in the same condition it was 6 months ago before I started treatment.

I'm using finasteride for 3 months now (still no sides) and minoxidil for 6 months 2x a day, but 2ml instead of 1ml, since a doctor said 1ml minoxidil is enough for the vertex, and if you want the temples - no studies backing this up - to have regrowth you should use the amount you'd use for the vertex and some more for the temples... no sides so I think everything is going according to plan :D

Nizoral just arrived this afternoon and just washed my hair with it for the first time. Gets a bit rougher than normal when I use a conditioner after shampoo, but I like the way my hair feels..

I'm expecting results to get better in the 1,5 years to come since I think I'm responding quite well. Will post pictures in the winter :)

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
good to hear that you are a good responder! hope you grow all your hair back!!

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend's girlfriend today:

"You have more hair"
"What?"
"Yeah, I don't know.. you have more hair.. or is it so much longer than last time?"
"No it's actually shorter than last time"
"Ok.. then you have more hair"

YEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

(Her bf is balding as well, so she's paying attention..)

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
haar-update.jpg

Update! I'm quite pleased with the result so far, my hairloss has significantly slowed down and my hair is looking better than it did 6 months ago!

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wow very impressive! Congrats!

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
When I started I was a NW3 going towards NW3V (already some thinning on the crown).
Now I'm a NW3 slowly going towards NW2: hair on the crown is denser, hair on the space between the temples (what's that called?) is way better as well, no more see-through (which makes a huge difference for me).

No sides for finasteride/min/nizoral - just met a new girl and she was impressed by my libido :D
I took a shower with her as well, was not worrying about her seeing my hair. Gained a lot of confidence by maintenance and a little regrowth! It helped I wasn't worried she'd touch my hair and would find like 20+ hairs on her hands.
If things continue like this I'll have to think of moving this thread to 'Success Stories' :D

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
A friends roommate: "Is your hair darker?"
I told her I didn't know but I thought so because of the winter (sun makes my hair blonder). But I do think the regimen might have something to do with it, way healthier and a bit darker hair.

kruin.jpg
picture is a bit blurry but the crown is getting denser as well. The cowlick on the back on the back of my head is getting smaller and smaller.. :)

Last edited:

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
haarstatus.jpg

Last weekend I was with friends and someone was taking pictures all of the time. I don't really like that because my hair looks really bad most of the time, but this time all pictures turned out ok, no need for me to untag anything on Facebook. Really happy, looks like I'm in the early stages of balding instead of being half-way. My crown is dense and without looking at the temples you would say I wasn't balding at all. Love the Nizoral shampoo, I've been using it for a month now, got rid of all the itches. Still no sides finasteride/min/nizoral, girl still impressed by my libido :D

Attachments

• haarstatus.jpg
    haarstatus.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,256

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wowwww awesome hairline results

How often do you use nizoral?

Do you use minoxidil liquid or foam?
Thx

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Nizoral 3 or 4 times a week. I'm not always at home (friends and girlfriend living in other cities) so sometimes I wash my hair with Head & Shoulders, but when I'm at home I always use it after my regular shampoo and leave it on for 5-10 minutes. I take a shower every morning but sometimes I just don't wash my hair since my scalp is sensitive, I just rinse it with water.

I use Kirkland minoxidil liquid, I couldn't get my hands on foam when I first started using and heard it's more expensive (and a bit harder to apply if your hair is a bit longer). At first it was a bit messy when I applied it but now it's just part of my daily routine in the morning and evening, like brushing my teeth :)

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
I just told my younger brother (who is not balding as of yet, but probably will in the future, it started with me when I was his age) that I'm using finasteride & min. He was glad I told him and said he wasn't too worried but would give his doctor a call for finasteride, he should start when his hair is still good. He did say he noticed my hair had a lot more volume, especially around the hairline, which is true. Glad people notice :)