24 years old starting finasteride - my story

Heyman

Reaction score
Allright, I thought I might have receeded in the temples about 2 months ago. I'm pretty convinced now its Androgenetic Alopecia. Its not too late yet, maybe i'm Norwood 1,5 when previously I was NW1. I want to stop it early. If I pull my hair back on the sides, its just obvious I'm getting in the NW2 direction. Also, my half-brother who is 1 year older then me lost quite some hair the last year.

Started on Nizoral about a week ago. Will add Finasteride this evening, will start with 0.125mg for 8-14 days, then increase to 0,25mg for another week or so. Then stay there or increase to 0,5mg and probably stay there.

I was thinking Nizoral might be enough to stop it, but who really knows. I don't want to risk it. I used the last 2 weeks or so and did all the research that is possible. I see studies showing negligable and few side effects. I see the success stories showing mainly very low side-effects. I see some people (especially propeciahelp), mainly anecdotal evidence, posting bad experiences.

In the end I'll trust the controlled trials. I looked at enough studies showing no difference in erectile function or depression, penis health etc... Not even the prostate seems to shrink at low doses in younger users. The benefits seem to outweigh the bad propaganda I hear.

This thread will mark my progress. I will STOP looking at hair loss forums for the next week or so, and only come here to post my progress and maybe get an update on new treatments every week or so.

I know my left ball aches from time to time. Same for my penis. My libido was a bit low the last 3 weeks or so. But the thing is, I did not even start finasteride yet. So I won't blame everything on finasteride, had I started finasteride exactly 3 weeks ago, I'm sure I would. I measured and made photographs of my dick and face. I will document changes if they occur in an objective, not entirely subjective way like most people do.

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will be following your progress, profiled for now. Good luck with the maintaining.

Still_Ill

Reaction score
Guy who has been following the Big 3 regimen for almost 9 months, checking in here. I never read propeciahelp before starting finasteride and haven't noticed any side effects from the medication I've taken so far. Didn't measure my penis or anything really, but I'm sure what's going on down there hasn't changed at all. I have been paying close attention to my hairline, which has gone through a few major shedding phases, including one that ended last month and left me wondering if my recession had actually progressed. But I suspect things are now slowly getting better at the crown and the hairline.You sound dedicated to this regimen. Best of luck to you.

Heyman

Reaction score
Thanks for the interest guys! I just took my first pill a few minutes ago, ~ 0.1mg of finasteride. I'll keep you updated.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good luck and congratulations on your first step towards treating your hair loss!

Heyman

Reaction score
Allright, thanks for all your input guys!

I now used 0.125mg for 14 days. No side-effects. I mean, there are some effects: My balls hurt a bit for a short time. But this effect was there weeks BEFORE I used finasteride. I had sex a lot of times successfully. My dick got hard. I could imagine something being different, but I had some issues from time to time before I took finasteride (sometimes my dick went limp). But so far, no problems, no limp dick, nothing. I could imagine it being less hard, but to be honest its just the way it always was, it just works perfectly fine.

Still thinking whether I should increase to 0.25mg or stay at 0.125mg.

Heyman

Reaction score
Yes increase to 0.25 mg and then 0.5 mg and then 1 mg. If you have sides reduce dose
To be honest, I don't see why I would ever need 1mg. There are studies showing 0.2mg to be equal, and one study showing 1mg to be slightly better (~20% or so) at 6 months but so are studies on dutasteride showing it to be more effective initially, but this effect gets weaker long-term. 0.25 seems to be fair enough though.

Heyman

Reaction score
Its about 4 weeks now. No side-effects that I could tell at all. Hard erections as long as I know the girl and had sex with her > once. This is exactly the same it was in the past. Libido is there, its really hard to be able to tell a change in either direction. I see girls somewhere and I think about sex sometimes, I don't believe there is any difference. I'm at 0.25mg now and intend to stay there.

Heyman

Reaction score
About 6 weeks now. No side-effects, everything fine. If I believe really strongly I think I see a bit more hair on my side-area, or the hair seems to get stronger. Having sex a lot, working just fine.

Heyman

Reaction score
So, it are ~ 9 weeks now. Side-effect free as far as I can tell. Dick is the same size. Everything just feels normal. I still got sex-drive, I still got erections and morning wood as well.

badgenetics1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's good to hear! Glad you haven't suffered any sides. Still on 0.25 mg/day or have you increased your dosage? Regardless, good luck - I hope you get the results you're looking for.

Heyman

Reaction score
That's good to hear! Glad you haven't suffered any sides. Still on 0.25 mg/day or have you increased your dosage? Regardless, good luck - I hope you get the results you're looking for.
No, I'll stick at 0.25mg/day. See no reason why I shouldn't. I'm not looking for dramatic results, I catched it very early so almost no loss occured yet.

Heyman

Reaction score
I'll now approach 4 months on finasteride. Still using 0.25 mg / day. Still no side effects, as horny as always, dick working fine, still the same size (measured) and everything. Really impossible to say that anything changed except I don't lose hair anymore in the shower. If everyone would keep such a journal I guess we would have a more balanced view of the sides.

Heyman

Reaction score
Ok, now its about 5 months on finasteride. Still 0.25mg / day. Still no sides. All is good. I can certainly tell you that people who use finasteride and everything is fine don't post on forums. I am commited to post here because of this simple fact, but I see for myself that my motivation to look up hair loss forums is much much lower and if it were not for this thread, you would not see me posting. This is likely the reason it seems that on forums people with bad experiences are much more common. I still check the forums out from time to time to look what CB 03 01 is doing as I still want to switch once it comes out.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thank you heyman, keep posting :). hope you see tons of regrowth. check my post if possible for suggestions.

der29

Established Member
Reaction score
dont listen to the idiot finasteride fear mongers. ive been on it for 3 years now and my libido is even stronger than before i started.