22 Yrs old and diffuse thinning all over the scalp + pics / Am I screwed up totally?

godsend22

Reaction score
Hey fellas!

I'm going to share my whole hair loss story, my efforts, and how I am going to fight against it.

So here we go:

Just a little introduction:

All my life I had thick hairs all over my head, and to be hones I was never thinking about I could lose my hair or I am going to be bald. I always paid a lot of attention on my hair style and used to go to my barbeer in every 2 weeks to get the best cut. I've been styling my hair since the age of 12 and spent a bunch of time in the bathroom to get it styled well.

First time I realised that something is wrong was in the beginning of January. The funny thing is that I clearly remember that I was struggling with styling my hair on NYE, because it was too dense and too thick :D The first signs of hair loss appeard in my tepmle area. When I was styling my hair there were about 5-6 pieces of thin hair pulld out easily from my temples and remained in my hand.

2013. February-April:

While there were absolutely no cosmetologically noticable signs of my hairloss, I knew that things are getting worse, every time I stlyed my hair more and more hairs remained in my hand so I decided to take action against it and went to a dermatologist. The derm has examined my hair with a microcamera, and saw that there are a lot of thin and small white hairs between the strong pigmented hairs, and told me that I am in the early stages of Androgenetic Alopecia, so he suggested to use 2% Minoxidil to slow down the process. This was the time when my nightmare begun. Beside of my beginning balding process I had maybe the worst time in my life, my GF left me, my job was a reckless sh*t, and slowly I fell into a chronic depression and started stessing about that I'm going to be bald and my life doesn't worth a penny...

I started to use the minoxidil but I worried about the shedding. First I applied it only on my frontal/temple region but I shedded about 60-70 hairs a day, every time I rushed my fingers through my hair, 7-8 pieces fell out.

In March, i realised that my hair is also thinning on the 2 sides of the top of my head, so I started to apply minoxidil on those area as well. The shedding and thinning were getting worse day by day and my face looked like a junkie with dark circles and wrinkles around my eyes. The derm told me to go back in 2 months after starting minoxidil to examine if it is working for me or not. So at the end of April I went back to him and the signs were really bad because and miniaturizing were still remained on my whole scalp in a NW7 pattern. That time he told me to stop using minoxidil because I am a bad responder and prediscribed me Proscar. I was spending hours/days on the internet researching the effect and side effects of finasteride and also aksed my father about it who is a cardiologist and used to take Proscar because of prostate problems, and I found out that I will never want to take that pill I would rather be bald with a hard wood than...

2013.May-nowadays

As time was passing my hair thinned out by night and from day to day it was getting worse. I stopped using minoxidil and got more depressed about my hair. I was spending about 5-6 hours a day hanging out on forums like HairLossTalk.com and *********talk searching for the best way to slow down or maybe reverse this whole balding process. In May, I found a guy, who were using saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol along with pigeum with huge success and regrowth. It was really amazing to see that you can turn back the clock with these kind of natural stuffs with nearly no sides, so I bought a bunch of these pills. I took 480 mg Beta-sitostrerol and 585 mg saw palmetto extract each. I've been on these pills until I noticed that my erection is getting weaker and my libido was nearly 0. Now I am happy because I quit taking them 3 weeks ago and my libido and erection turned back to normal. Anyway my hair is still getting worse, thinning out night, shedding about 80 hairs/day and in the end June I realised that I am totally ****ed up because my hair is also falling out and thinning on the sides, back, and the nape area. I was shocked when I realised that even my sideburns are getting nearly invisible, where were the strongest hair on my scalp. Now I feel like I'm totally screwed up and thinking about my hair all day, 0-24 and having nightmares seeing myself totally bald, with 0 hair.

I could write a novel about the whole story, but this is still too much, so now I'll try to sum up the whole thing:

The symptoms:

• Thinning, miniaturizing hair all over the scalp (top, sides, back, nape, sideburns are getting invisible with a 3mm buzz cut)
  • Shedding hair from all over the scalp (70-80/day)
  • Flaky scalp (never had this before)
  • Red, pinkish scalp on the top (never had this before)
  • Red pimples on the top (about 10 pieces, never had this before)
  • Itchy scalp all over, what I feel all day and more intense on the worse areas (never had this before)
  • When hair is falling out, there is yellow or white sebum ball on the hair-bulb
  • The shedded hairs are ways much thinner at the bulb and getting thicker towards the end
  • From the sides and nape I'm loosing totally white/transparent small hairs
  • Receding hairline (I've got a NW2 hairline now, and in December I was a NW0)

Lifestyle:

• Being in depression and under stress since Feb until nowadays
  • Sleeping worse than ever before - getting up 5 times and night and hard to sleep back
  • Feeling tired all day
  • Sometimes it is hard to do intellectual work and problem with thinking, where I was a quite clever guy before
  • Smoking 5-6 cigaretts each day (I know this is probably the worst thing I can do with my hair)
  • Thinking about my hairloss all day
  • I don't want to go out and party anymore
  • I don't want to meet girls anymore (BTW It could be because I have a very nice and pretty girlfriend now)
  • Going to the gym 3 times / week
  • Lost a lot of weight
  • Felling weak
  • Feeling unmotivated

Lifestyle before:

• I was always motivated and ambitious
  • I used to party a lot and loved to get drunk, and took home different chicks each weekend
  • I loved every girl on planet and just wanted to get laied with all of them :D
  • I'm smoking since age of 16 (that's maybe the worst thing)
  • Doing active sports since age of 12

Previous treatments:

• 2% minoxidil for 3 months
  • Saw palmetto+beta-sitosterol
  • Nizoral (which dried my hair out too much)

Treatments I use now:

• EMU oil applied 3 times on the hairline/day
  • Black caster oil + jojoba oil applied 3 times/week on the whole scalp and leave it on all night
  • Countrylife Hair-Max capsules
  • Neutrogena T-gel 3 times/week
  • Clobex shampoo 3 times/week (prediscrebed by a new dermatologist who told me that I've got seborrheic dermatitis)
  • Elocom lotion 2 times/week (prediscribed also by the new dermatologist)

Future treatment:

• AHK-CU 5% once/day in the morning (with rejuveplex base)
  • Spectral.DNC-S 2 times/day
  • S5 cream once/day at night
  • Revita shampoo
  • Maybe bimatoprost 0.09% solution once/day

• Maybe CB-03-01 once/day

As you can see I am trying to fight against my male pattern baldness with avoiding finasteride and minoxidil because I am afraid of the sides.

I will start my new regime this month, so I will keep this thread alive and updated.

BTW here are some pictures of my hair, taken in past December:

These photos were taken in March and April, while I was on minoxidil:

These photos from July:

Please feel free to ask me any questions and I would appreciate any comments and suggestions. I am also wondering if anyone on this forum has got the same symptoms and signs like me and have fought against successfully.

God bless you all, we are all in the same boat :)

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Bro, you really should get on finasteride. You're scared of sides? Well, if they happen you can just stop the treatment. You can slowly up your dose every month until 1 mg or w/e dose you want. This will prevent side effects hitting you hard all at once. If you get off finasteride, you body will return to it's natural way after a bit. I can imagine if a person that has been taking this for 10 years that they would have trouble return to their natural rhythm, but a person taking it for 3 months tthen getting off the finasteride should have no trouble bouncing back. All the treatments you're taking will only slightly improve your hair.

Kostia

Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but your dermatologist is an idiot. Two Months is NOT long enough to assess minoxidil's efficiency, it should be AT THE VERY LEAST six. And then what's with the 2% strenght ? This is suitable for women who may experience unwanted facial hair growth on a higher dosage but there is definitely no reason for a man not to try the 5% version.
Your current -and planned- regimen is useless -snake oils. It is not going to stop the progression of your male pattern baldness. I think your best option now is to jump back on minoxidil AND to start quartering proscar pills. You'll find on the success stories part of this forum people who have reversed baldness worse than yours using these two drugs.

godsend22

Reaction score
First of all thank you guys for the comments.

paul.frank1989: You're right the December pics are all with dry hair but the difference is huge between the hairline and density compared with the latest photos. The best I can do now is maybe to buzz down my hair to 3mm, start the treatments and hope for they will work and grow it back stronger-thicker. Anyway I feel for you too bro, we could keep in touch with our progress. I'm also curious about your current stage, could you please post some photos?

CursedMen, Kostiah: I did a lot of research on finasteride before, and I feel confused about what to believe in. Someone says the sides are horrible and caused permanent problems, but others mentioned no sides at all... I'm only afraid because I've been taking Saw Palmetto and Beta-sitosterol pills for 2 months and I sufferd from the sides of them, so I think finasteride could cause bigger problems than those natural sh*ts... Regarding the minoxidil, I think you're right, 2 months is pretty short time to assess it's efficiency but I shedded a mass ammount of hair even with 2% strength. I know that my current reginem is too weak to reverse the progression that's why I'm considering adding new poducts.

What do you think about that this all thing have happend within nearly only 6 months, and I have lost nearly the half ammount of my hair? I'm also scared about that I have something more, than usual male pattern baldness, because I'm losing hair from the sides, back and even from my nape and sideburns. It is very annoying that I could never had a hair transplant because I have miniaturized hairs in my donor area. What the hell could be this? I read before, that there is a really f***ed up thing, called DUPA, when you're losing hair from all of your scalp and can do nearly nothing about it. Do you think I have DUPA, or could it be simply Telogen Effluvium? Also quite interesting that I have small red pimples all around my head and the itch, I never had before...

Anyway, this week I'm going to start the new treatment:

• Spectral DNC - applied 2x daily, on the sides and on the crown
  • Spectral DNC-S - applied 2x daily on the top
  • Revita Shampoo - 3x/week
  • Clobex Shampoo - 3x/week (to deal with the seborrheic dermatitis) - this helps with the itch but dries my hair out and, but the red pipmples and redness is still there...
  • Emu oil - 3x/day on hairline

I will post baseline pictures with dry and wet hair and will update regurarly. I hope that if I give an other chance to minoxidil, this time will have more success, but to be honest I'm afraid of the shedding, because I shed about 80-90 hairs/day currently.

godsend22

Reaction score
UPDATE:

• Situation getting worse day by day
  • I've got more and more pimples and acnes on my head
  • Damn itching all day
  • Now I shed like a crazy dog, nearly 100 hairs/day from all over the scalp
  • Thinning on sides and back

I've been to a new derm and told me that I should start use accutane again (I was on cure when I was 18 because I had pretty bad acnes) 10 mg 3 times/week but I'm scared about I'm going to shed more... I'm pretty confused now about what to do...

I've just recieved the Revita, Spectral DNC, and DNC S so I'm gonna start applying today.

I will post updates of the process. Anyway I'm pretty sure that my hair loss is more advanced than a usual male pattern baldness, I would be pleased if someone could give me advice, why I'm losing hair from all around the scalp and what can I do in this situation.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Get on finasteride ASAP if you want to keep your hair.
And it's pretty weird how you are scared of sides of finasteride and not scared of sides of Accutane!
Come on man!Are you serious? Acuttane is 1000 times dangerous for you that finasteride !! There are people who comitted suicide because of it!
And accutane has HAIRLOSS as a side effect. So stay out of it, and get on finasteride!!
Yes, spectral DNC is good(it's basically minoxidil) , but you need to take finasteride also, otherwise spectral effects won't last more that 2 years.
Give finasteride a try!
Oh, and i can't abstain myself from making a comment: why the hell people are not scared of accutane, which is very bad , ****s your brain and body, and scared as hell from a slightly reduced libido from finasteride?? I could never understand this!
Acuttane should be OFF the market!!!

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride 1mg (every other day if you're worried); Mino 5% and a topical AA (RU). For a diffuse thinner this should work well.

- - - Updated - - -

*minoxidil

godsend22

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the response.

Anyway, I'm still curious why I'm losing hair from all around my scalp, even my sideburns are getting disappeard...

About the finasteride: I'm scared because I got sides from Saw Palmetto even, so I think the sides of finasteride can be more advanced in me than any others because my system is f*ckin sensitive.

I wish to take only 2x10mg accutane/week I'm sure that I won't get sides of it but I need to do something about my acnes on my scalp and on my chins.

If my progress with minoxidil and Spectral DNC-S won't give the expected effectiveness, then maybe I'll jump on 0.5 mg Dutasteride/day and maybe give CB-03-01 a try if I could get a trusted source.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting, you are scared of finasteride sides but you are sure that Acuttane will not give you sides.
Why not take finasteride twice a week also??
Trust me, a small reducing of libido is nothing compared to what Accutane can have as side effects.

iced

Reaction score
Telogen Effluvium caused by SD 100%, you are on the right track to get ur hair back, very good and aggressive treatmant

dreaday

Reaction score
There's a light at the end of the tunnel man. .. my brother went to Turkey Istanbul 6 months ago and got his hair neograft ( transplanted) new procedure 4 thousand grafts for 2300 dollars.. if u do this procedure here u would pay 24 thousand dollars. . Anyway is been 6 months and now he goes to get haircuts. .it's the first time in ten years that he gets to style his hair or even comb it.. im going this winter to get it done. . Check it out its in istanbul turkey

saja2148

Reaction score
damn you had really nice hair in december... hairloss sucks bro...it consumes every facet of your life

dude at least get on Nizoral....your itching and redness is symptom of hairloss... its to do with inflammation...get on Nizoral dude...