22,Starting finasteride after stopping it...

arvindekrahi

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

A little flashback..

1. i started taking finasteride at the age of 19..
2. i had a sperm test on 22/11/2014..and these were my parameters.
Sperm count-8 million per ml,Mobility-Only 20% had sluggish movement,rest 80% were not motile.
3. I stopped taking finasteride for roughly 40 days.Hairfall wasnt drastic but i think i can fairly say,a little substaintial.i still am on minoxidil 10% once a day and twice on weekends.
4.I had another sperm test on 25/12/2014 and the parameters now are
sperm count-32 million per ml(Which is quite normal although not good)...annd motility is 20% rapid,10% sluggist and around 70% not motile

so what i have concluded that my sperm parameters did bounce back(Hooray!!!)...

So whatever effect finasteride had on my body is partly washed out in less than two months..

So can i conclude that if i start taking finasteride again(or atleast partly,like thrice a week)..my body would again bounce back?i know this is very subjective..But how does finasteride exactly work..i think it supresses a way for Conversion of Testesterone to DHT and reduces DHT in your scalp stream indirectly?...But do you think there is anyway finasteride can stop it completely?..

Wishing every a very happy christmas and a even happier and hairier new year..

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
Yes finasteride (partially) inhibits the conversion of T to DHT. It does so by inhibiting the enzyme that is doing the conversion. However there are three types of the enzyme and finasteride mostly inhibits type two. So, with standard amounts (1-5 mg) of finasteride you can only lower DHT by about 70 per cent.

arvindekrahi

Reaction score
so lets accept it,lower DHT definately means lower sperm count and less quality..

However the effect stays only for 60 days and a maximum 90 days..

- - - Updated - - -

so lets accept it,lower DHT definately means lower sperm count and less quality..

However the effect stays only for 60 days and a maximum 90 days..

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
I keep asking the same questions in these threads, but is lowered sperm count really a problem? Doesn't it just mean more sex when conceiving?