20 year old whO regrEW!! WITH PICS!!-Now I am 21.

dablackman

Reaction score
What up dudes. I am only 20 years old and I start losing my hair when I was 18 years old (obvious at 19). This was by far the hardest thing I have ever been through in my life. My hair loss was drastic, I lost a lot of hair (diffused thinning) in my frontal area in a short amount of time. I used to be able to get away with it earlier in 2005 because someone would have to look very closely to be able to tell. But by August 2005, it was obvious. I went through the denial stage at first, but in August (around the time college started back) I was in a deep depression.

I shed a lot of tears and had many sleepless nights. I honestly didn't enjoy life anymore and would have felt better ending up dead in a car accident or something like that. I didn't get to the point of suicide though. I guess it affected me so badly because I really wasn't a bad looking guy. Actually that semester Aug-Dec 2005 was my lowest GPA level in my live. It was HORRIBLE. Some of the people I considered my friends laughed behind my back. I guess because I am still a tough looking dude. Every conversation with someone was them talking to my frontal hair loss.

After hours of research on the internet, especially, Hairlosstalk.com I found info on the only 2 FDA approved medications proven to stop hair loss and regrow a significant amount of hair, Propecia and Rogaine. So, I build up enough courage, talked to my parents and went to a General Doctor to treat my hair loss. Man, my hairloss was so bad that when I took off my du-rag for the nurse to see it she almost started laughing. Thus, I started Propecia on September 7, 2005. Realizing I wanted the quickest regrowth results, I started Rogaine a week after. From today, it has been about 5 months since treatment. I went to my doctor two weeks ago and he couldn’t believe it. The nurses were all going crazy when they looked at my baseline picture and my recent picture. I was one of the few good respondents because I have visible regrown all of my lost hair. I didn’t notice any shedding because I only had a few strands of hair from my hairline to my mid scalp. I feel ALOT better about my live and I don't have to wear a hat everywhere I go now.

I look a lot like my old self again. Going through this experience has really humbled me as far a looking at physical appearances. Even though I have regrown my lost hair, I realize this is a battle I will fight until I die. I know it is hard to understand the sensitivity of going through hair loss if someone hasn’t been effective by it, but for us who have or are still going through it, this will encourage them a little bit. Hang in there buddies.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Re: 20 year old whO regrEW!!

Kick *** man...very happy for you.

Hopefully you can post your before/after pics for the team to see. You'd do a few lads a great service by keeping the hope, through patience, alive.

dablackman

Reaction score
Thanks a lot hairwegoagain. Honestly, I was so down and out that I didn't take a personal before and after picture (thinking my hair wouldn't get better). But my Docter does have those amasing before and afters. I know how frustrating it makes guys to hear someone say "my hair grew back" but with no pics. I was one. So, I wil do all I can to get those pictures up on this site. Thanks again hairwegoagain.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
hey dablackman,excellent to hear ya responded so well,i know how ya feel about the nurse nearly laughing,i had this one nurse(something unrelated) exclaim 'oh my god' when i took my hat off! still,her prob not mine,i look like i really shouldnt have any hairloss if ya just seemy face,and i guess it shocked her! ah well,regrowing so thats all good......

good to hear ya doing well

keep it up

:hairy:

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
congrats. if you recover completely in 5 months it means you are a great responder for minoxidil. change your picture from NW4A to NW2 or NW1 depending on your current scale.
Also, do all of us favor by posting the pictures.
thanks

jeffsss

Reaction score
I dont want to make assupmtions but judging my your name i'm assuming your african american?

dude, it's much easier for a black dude to shave it off. most black guys do anywya??!?

not to stomp on your story.. it's inspirational. awesome

dablackman

Reaction score
Thanks techprof. I will change my norwood scale pic because I am not there anymore. I also will get my pics up when I go to my Doctor. Believe me jeffsss if, when I shaved my head bald I didn't get laughed at by people expecially chicks, I would not have worried. But man I looked like a black alien. I look way better with hair. Remember every young black dude can't get away with shaving it off.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Sweetness, man.

Glad you responded so well to treatment. Do you use Nizoral shampoo, too? Please keep us updated!

dablackman

Reaction score
Thanks Aplunk1. I use Nizoral 1% shampoo only once a week. Up until 3 weeks ago, from start of treatment, I used Walgreen's T+ Plus Gel shampoo everyday to get rid of the flaky scalp from Rogaine. Now I have an afro, so I use it 3 times a week.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Great!

Man, wish I could say I had an afro. I'm only 5 months into my Rogaine (since December) and my hair is thickening up like crazy.

dablackman

Reaction score
Aplunk1, its good to hear you are having success too. I know how good it feels to see it thickening up almost ever week. Plus we are the same age, I'll be 21 in July 06. So congrats and keep up the regime.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Me too, July '06.

It's so great to be turning 21 in the summer!

I'm going to stick this regime out, and maybe add spironolactone. Thanks, dablackman.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
man...I hope the minoxidil does sumthin for me too. Been on propecia for eleven months, had a terrible shed but am very very slowly recovering (I think I went from NW2 to NW3+ in three months). Started on minoxidil three weeks ago and now I'm seeing all these small colored hairs on my temples and hairline but they're pretty diffuse. Dablackman...african or africanamerican...just curious. I'm black myself and I was wonderin if our hair was treatable (rougher texture and all). Thanx for giving me hope.

dablackman

Reaction score
What up Bash. Yeah I am black (african american) too. Back in September 2005 before minoxidil and propecia I was a early Norwood 4. By mid December after starting both, basically I looked like I put a extra strength S-curl in the front of my head and not on the rest of my hair (like a lukemia patient)It was regrowth. But by mid January 2006, it was all back to thick and natural nappy. Now I'am rockin a afro. So our hair first regrows like a good grade of hair, then thickens back up. Actually, I think us blacks get better results on minoxidil because our hair automatically regrows back naturally thick. Whatever you do, stay on minoxidil. Hang in there because it works.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate it man. Now that I'm starting to see all these small hairs after only three weeks (they're colored too), I'll most definetly keep at it. Here's hopin to three months of constant regrowth cause man do I miss my curls. Keep us updated and I'll do the same.

by the way...guess now u know what could happen if you dropped the minoxidil, just in case you were wondering if you can get by on propecia alone. Been on propecia for 11 months and it's gone to sh*t...but In five months I'll post my results after the added minoxidil and then we'll definetly know how important the minoxidil is.

dablackman

Reaction score
Finally Before & Afters

What up guys. I finally got the chance to post my before and afters as of Febuary 17, 2006. Just click on my link in my signature. As you can see, I had a good barber to blend in the thinning hair with the rest. But, from the naked eye, my hair looked a lot worse. Fill free to ask questions. Holla!!!!

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dablackman:
I am confused with your pictures. Where are your before pictures?
You said you were NW4 before.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah man...where are your before pictures? Or are you trying to say that the Norwood 1.2 thinning (if even that) in those pics is your before state?