19 Years of age: Norwood 2-3 (is there anybody out there).

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
About me:

Sex: Male.
Hairloss: At the temples, thinning/balding/receding. A Norwood 2-3.

Hello.

I have for some time now, been experiencing issues regarding loss of hair and thinning at the temples.
It all started somewhere around 1 year and 10 months ago, and it has not progressed all too much since.
Only hairloss and thinning of hair at the temples, and no visible loss or thinning at the crown, mind you.

I've gone and ordered both "Finasterida" as well as "Rogaine Foam (Minoxidil 5%), from propecia-proscar.com (is this a legit company?). Sorry if I'm not allowed to post links, but I just felt the need to. I am NOT here to sell anyone anything.

"Finasterida" is a generic type, am I right? Can I expect it to have the same effect as the original one (Propecia)?

Does this seem like an apt regimen?
Approximately how long would you reckon it to take, before I see some noteworthy results?
Is this a good age for me to start treating and potentially regrowing some hair?
Am I likely to see new growth, if so, how long? 1 year?

I've read that one ought not have a hair transplant done at so young a age, rather wait another 10 years or so (in my case). What say you?

NOTA BENE: I will be tracking and updating the whole process. Before I begin, I will be supplying my fellow unfortunate comrades with a couple of photographies of my "situation".

You have my thanks!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Buy proscar 5 mg. Get a tablet cutter and split into 4 equal pieces. Take one a day. Use minoxidil at least once a day (before you go to bed). Some photo's would help.

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't 1 mg. the recommended dose (at least when starting out)? I've read that cutting the 5 mg. into quarters can be a real hassle, and that it can be chancy, taking into consideration that the pieces may not end up exactly equal.
And yes, I will be using Minoxidil 5% twice a day, in the morning and before I go to sleep. I've already gone and ordered "Finasterida" (generic Finasteride) 1 mg. and will be receiving it in a matter of weeks, that is IF I receive it.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's no hassle at all. Buy a tablet cutter, they're only about €3, you get more or less even quarters. This isn't an exact science anyway. There's not a huge difference in DHT concentration in the scalp or blood between people on 0.5 mg /day and 2.5mg/day. Even if you really messed up and got one piece that was only 1/8 of a pill, and another piece was 3/8, it really wouldn't make that much difference.

Story

Reaction score
I started seeing regrowth after just 3-4 months of using finasteride+minoxidil+nizoral (fungoral i believe it's called in Norway - can be bought at the pharmacy) and still have seen progress for the 2 years I've been using that regimen, but it really is individual if and how well it works.

Using a tablet cutter really isn't that difficult either, give it a try!

As for getting hold of Finasteride: I tried getting my doctor to perscribe it without luck, so I went to a skin doctor (hudlege) and got it without any problems whatsoever. Proscar is what they give you in Norway. It's pretty cheap and easy to use and the package you get is like a 14 month supply.

As you might already have pieced together, I'm from Norway as well. Just ask in here or send me a message (however that works) if you want to know something :)

Cheers

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
Much obliged, to all of you!

Story: jeg har sent deg en melding, takk så meget for din input.

- - - Updated - - -

Photos of my hairloss per today (yes, these were taken today).

What do you think about my current situation, and my treatment plan?

DSC00763.jpgDSC00760.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00751.jpg
    DSC00751.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 4,410
  • DSC00753.jpg
    DSC00753.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 4,418
  • DSC00762.jpg
    DSC00762.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 10,037

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Luckily you're not diffuse thinning like me (I'm 20 by the way), so if you can keep what you have, and get a transplant for the temples, it'd seem as if you never lost your hair.

Good luck.

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
Exactly!

I will be leaving for Bangkok (Bamrungrad International Hospital) on November the 1st.
In addition, I will update this thread as much as doable, with photos, (maybe) videos and the like.

bryan87

Reaction score
Hello OP, I think you should add some Nizoral to your regime. It really helps to keep your scalp clean. Honestly I'm very afraid to use finasteride. I have done my research and I'm still undecided. Perhaps you should also consider the S5 cream? Your hairline is very similar to mines, maybe mines is bit more worst. I will be very happy with keeping what I have, but it seems that it gets more complicated, but I'm still trying. The worst part for me and like you I only loose hair on my temples. OP so you are getting hair transplant in November? Where are you from? Why Banhkok?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're not a norwood 3. Your hairline looks like mine and mine has barely moved since I was 15 (diffuse thinner). At most your a norwood 2

Abercrombie

Reaction score
If you're only 19 with a hairline that receded your best shot at this is minoxidil and finasteride. What you see right now is only the beginning stages and it will get a lot worse, trust me. Do not even think about a hair transplant until you're at least 25.

No serious Doctor will operate on you at your age and with that kind of aggressive hairloss. Try to keep what you have as long as possible with FDA approved medication and start saving up for a hair transplant when you get older. That's really the only options you have right now. Best of luck!

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
For the recommendations, much obliged!

I am from Norway (Scandinavia).

Aye, I am getting a hair transplant in November. FUE, I reckon.
As of now, the photographies above, have all been sent for Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich's eyes to see (in order for him to determine how many grafts and by which method to operate, would be the most apt).
His clinic goes by the name of "Bodyline Patient Care", and if I am not mistaken, he operates at Bumrungrad International Hospital as well.

It is likely I will be staying at "Oasis Inn" hotel.

1st. of November (or sooner, if possible) will be the day of my departure.

I was told 5 days is the required days of stay, so I will be staying for one week, more or less.'

I've grown weary of having to live under such conditions, hence I decided to take action and pursue this burning ambition of mine.
No longer will I walk in shame's company. One ought not simply stand idly by. Some manage to live with it, others do not. I do not.

- - - Updated - - -

Abercrombie - I am sorry, but my mind is set. However, I will also be taking the medications (Propecia, Minoxidil and Nizoral) following the surgery.

bryan87

Reaction score
OP if you don't mind me asking how many grafts are you getting? Why didn't you get surgery in Norway?

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
DSC00772.jpgDSC00773.jpg

It says "m" on one side of the tablet.

- - - Updated - - -

The tablet itself looks nothing like that of the non-generic Propecia (it's smaller and it's shape is quite different as well).
It is entirely oval.

Is this due to it being the generic kind?

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
My third day on Propecia and Rogaine.
No side effects so far.

I am confident that the wares are not counterfeit.
I believe them to be authentic.

Story

Reaction score
It's not that bad yet. Your current regimen can be quite helpful if you just give it a chance. Just knowing that any further hair loss has been prevented will be a lot of help to your psyche. Maybe you'll learn to live with it. It's not impossible. I have.

You seem pretty determined to do a hair transplant no matter what, but you really should consider people's advice on this, or at the very least give the big 3 a chance. If you cut your hair shorter it will look better and the minoxidil will have better effect as well.

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
Nay. I've gone and adapted a buzz-cut (1 inch, more or less). It still looks obvious, especially from the side and birds-view.

I will have a hair transplant. If I run out of donor hair (what everyone seems to dread), then I'll simply use body hair the next coming time. I have more than enough to choose from. Even my neck-hair could be used to cover up the receding sides, believe me, I am hairier than most, unfortunately, but in this case fortunately, I'd think. The quality of my body hair is even better than that of my scalp-hair.

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, serif]It seems that some of the hairs on the sides, are already starting to fall out (due to Propecia)...[/FONT]

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
I could have sworn I saw some new growth-spurt of vellus-like hair this morning, on the sides. My eyes must (beyond the shadow of a doubt) be deceiving me. Impossible. Am I right?