18 months on finasteride (nearly 3 on minoxidil): One significant side

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
Acne on my head. It's like f*****g star search, you can map it out. I keep my hair short and I have three to five zits at any given time on my head.

Growing up, I never had that "teenage acne" phase most people have, on my face or anywhere.

Been on finasteride now since I think, Jan 2005 (started minoxidil Sept 2003...I am starting to forget, something you do when it's been forever).

Acne has really picked up the last few months. Hair regrowth seems to have stopped/stabilized. Improvement, for sure, very much so. Never quite filled in the top crown area, but at 35, I am about where I should be.

But my horomones as far as acne, is just out of controll. I have a new crop every third day or so. For 32 years never had an issue with it, but I think I would have to say, proscar is the reason. (taking 1.25 now)

Fortunately, my hair covers most of it !

No other sides (maybe decreased ejaclate)...but all else is well.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmmm, my face has never been so clear since starting minoxidil and finasteride. i got like smooth skin it seems. i had sever acne when i was younger many years ago it seem now. im only 20 now but yeh my face is clear.

why dont you see a doctor? or try cleansing with some different product from the supermarket etc..

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
I alternate Nizoral and Head and Shoulders. Frankly, I think it is horomonal and has nothing to do with cleansing, or it not being clean, etc.

I knew people who had face acne for years and were constantly using facial cleansers and lotions, etc, and it never helped. It's internal, at the root.

It comes and goes on my head, and usually is small enought that hair covers it up to a degree, but sometimes they go supernova and I have this big red spot on my head.

Hawaii male

Established Member
Reaction score
i would try using jason's thin to thick shampoo and let it sit on your head for 5 mins or so.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
man, when i had acne i used retin-a cream, used to strip my skin pretty bad for first few months, but its SERIOUSLY good. it completely obliterated my acne, and its never come back.

it was prescribed from the Doctor coz its pretty hardcore. really works.

G

ANDREW_J_I said:
man, when i had acne i used retin-a cream, used to strip my skin pretty bad for first few months, but its SERIOUSLY good. it completely obliterated my acne, and its never come back.

it was prescribed from the Doctor coz its pretty hardcore. really works.

Isn't retin-a cream supposed to work for hairloss aswell? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeh thats what i herd too. dunno mate, but it worked very very well on acne. but it is hardcore stuff, u need a good moituriser or ul have white dried skin on ur face.

docj077

Reaction score
Be aware that using propecia means you're only blocking T -> DHT conversion at the hair follicle. Your sebacous glands on your face and scalp still can do that conversation as they use type 1 alpha reductase and not type 2 which is what propecia targets. Avodart targets both, so that might help you.

To make a long story short, you need to find a way to either bind your free testosterone (something like Green Tea Extract is what I used) or you need to really stay on top of your skin and clean it whenever it starts to feel oily. Green tea fixed by oily skin problem, so it may work for you.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Be careful with avodart. it may be really good for hair loss but almost completely destroying your DHT levels is dangerous, since it´s a hormone most people need. only take it in extreme circumstances, when your hair loss is really at it and it´s really, really bothering u.