18 Month update

random32

Reaction score
Well gentlemen, have gone from *very* noticable thinning and shedding to nearly having the best hair among my friends!

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
Uhhh, that was the lamest success story I've ever read. C'mon bro give us some details.. :hairy:

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
random32 said:
Well gentlemen, have gone from *very* noticable thinning and shedding to nearly having the best hair among my friends!

so it took you 18 mos. to reach this level of success??

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ru sure thats the same person? ur hair dont look bad atall in the first pic! man, makes me see how much problems i have.

random32

Reaction score
Dude, my hair was as thin as yours! That's why I had it ridiculously long, to try and hide it

I say you only notice real progress after around 14 months

I'll repeat that for you people who are thinking of giving up:

YOU NOTICE REAL GAINS AFTER THE 14 MONTH MARK, SO DON'T GIVE UP BEFORE!

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
random32 said:
Dude, my hair was as thin as yours! That's why I had it ridiculously long, to try and hide it

I say you only notice real progress after around 14 months

I'll repeat that for you people who are thinking of giving up:

YOU NOTICE REAL GAINS AFTER THE 14 MONTH MARK, SO DON'T GIVE UP BEFORE!

Ill agree on the 14th month and later results. At 13 months. Intermediate and vellus hairs have gone terminalalongthe hairline that were just sort of sitting idle for the first year of treatment. It really does take a long *** time for those hairs to take root like you want.

Felk

Reaction score
Do you have an "after" pic that is more similar to the before pic? Ie closer up so we can see the difference.

Otherwise making comparisons is very hard.

Anyway, sounds good :)

random32

Reaction score
Frontal picture with re-grown areas highlighted:

random32_37.jpg

Thanks for the comments people! Remember, stick at it!!!!!!! Perserveerance is the key!

eddy2oo6

Reaction score
Did you have shedding intially with finasteride?

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
Its actually hard to tell from the first pic how thin your hair actually was because of the length.

BTW, my temples are still seeing new growth after 17 months on propecia!
So I agree with you that "stuff" still happens long after the 12 month mark.

Subliminal

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the temple regrowth. Who says temple regrowth is not possible with finasteride/minoxidil? Maybe it's a matter of degree of hairloss. Perhaps NW1.5-2's can regrow temples better than those with more aggressive degrees of male pattern baldness?

I think the longer the hair is gone, the longer it takes to come back (if it does come back at all). Regrowth is the reverse process of the gradual miniturization that occurs during male pattern baldness. So however long it took for you hair to thin, it'll take that long to return.

Felk

Reaction score
Subliminal said:
Congrats on the temple regrowth. Who says temple regrowth is not possible with finasteride/minoxidil? Maybe it's a matter of degree of hairloss. Perhaps NW1.5-2's can regrow temples better than those with more aggressive degrees of male pattern baldness?

I think the longer the hair is gone, the longer it takes to come back (if it does come back at all). Regrowth is the reverse process of the gradual miniturization that occurs during male pattern baldness. So however long it took for you hair to thin, it'll take that long to return.

Ive heard this theory before, and really hope its true! However what about the people who have aggressive male pattern baldness and are going bald quickly - they certainly lose their hair quickly because their male pattern baldness is so strong, but they certainly haven't been proven to regain their hair any quicker.

beaner

Reaction score
Nice job! I've been on finasteride only 3 months and this gets me excited about the next year or two.

Subliminal

Established Member
Reaction score
Felk said:
Ive heard this theory before, and really hope its true! However what about the people who have aggressive male pattern baldness and are going bald quickly - they certainly lose their hair quickly because their male pattern baldness is so strong, but they certainly haven't been proven to regain their hair any quicker.

Well, I was thinking more in terms of degrees of improvement. A realistic goal for a NW5 would be to get to a NW3. Whereas the same degree of improvement for a NW2 would be to get to a NW1. That's why I regret not going on finasteride at the first sign of temple recession a couple years ago, when my dermatologist offered it as a choice. Basically I would have been trying to get from a NW1.1 to NW1.0 which is very realistic IMO. But who knows. Who's to say finasteride would have prevented the "maturing" of my temples in the first place?

Felk

Reaction score
Subliminal said:
Felk said:

Well, I was thinking more in terms of degrees of improvement. A realistic goal for a NW5 would be to get to a NW3. Whereas the same degree of improvement for a NW2 would be to get to a NW1. That's why I regret not going on finasteride at the first sign of temple recession a couple years ago, when my dermatologist offered it as a choice. Basically I would have been trying to get from a NW1.1 to NW1.0 which is very realistic IMO. But who knows. Who's to say finasteride would have prevented the "maturing" of my temples in the first place?

Yeah, i agree with everything there. I've just lost my temples, in the space of 3 months or so. However even though the outline of my new hairline is coming through (sharp triangles going back into my head) the temples still have thin hair on them, making me a norwood 1-2 now when i pull my hair back, but a definate 2 once this hair which is obviously in the "loss phase" goes. I doubt my treatments will prevent this "mature hairline" emerging, as it is so clearly going to.