16 Year Old with Receding Hairline

ADS

Reaction score
Alright, so since early summer 2012, a few months before I turned 16, I started to notice my receding hairline. Since then it has worsened dramatically and has caused me some serious stress. I had noticed a lot of hairs falling out in the past while washing/drying my hair but never really thought anything of it until I noticed my hairline. I have a family history of it as my mom's brother is completely bald and my dad is almost bald. I have medium length hair so I've been able to cover it pretty easily, but now it's getting to the point where I can't hide it anymore. My bangs are thinning pretty bad and my hairline has receded even worse on one side than the other. When I try to tell my mom she doesn't take me seriously at all, it is extremely frustrating. I have mentioned it to my dad a few times and he seems to have more sympathy because he has gone through it himself. I think he would be willing to get me help and I don't think money should be much of an issue, I just don't know where to get help. I've heard dermatologists are just a waist of time and most hair loss clinics don't have anything to do with you until your at least in your 20s. Is there anything you can do to help regrow your hairline and stop hair-loss at such a young age? This whole thing has made me extremely self-conscious and while I'm normally a pretty outgoing guy, it has made me just want to stay home instead of go out with friends. I don't know how much more of this I can take. Does anyone have ANY advice? Please help, Thanks.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi..sorry to hear that you have to go through this horrendous experience at such a young age. Some doctors, as you said, are so clueless about hair loss and its treatment but you still need to see your doctor to get more serious professional help and analysis. In the meantime, you might want to try minoxidil and nizoral shampoo to treat your hair loss. Check the links for more info!
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-men/
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/shop/

theagx

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry you're facing this so early. I wear a hat everywhere now but I'm 30 so at least most of my 20s was hatfree. You said money is no issue for you, so at least there is hope for you.

ADS

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, are there any kind of injections or anything I could get? I really would like to avoid rogaine if at all possible.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you use a search function on this forum, you should be able to find a few threads about injection. I am not sure what sort of injections they are though. I just remember reading some of them a while back. It might be dangerous or useless?!

rudimentary

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey ADS, sorry that you're starting to lose your hair at such an early age. I'm 23, so I feel your pain.

Listen man, here's what I'd do.

1. Get a Ketaconazole shampoo, preferably with Saw Palmetto in it (there are many brands like Revita, Regenepure, PerfectHair, etc) and use it daily (yes, daily). Massage it on your scalp and leave it on for a good 5-10 minutes. You can use plain ole' Nizoral as well, which is easy to get, but in that case I'd use it max. 3 times a week. There is a good amount of evidence that Ketoconazole lowers DHT and sebum production on the scalp. Saw Palmetto helps as well. Good stuff.

2. Minoxidil. You can get it here and pretty much everywhere. Wal-Mart, Costco, CVS, etc.

TIP: If you have cats around your house be VERY careful, as it is lethal to them even in trace amounts. Can't stress this enough.

Also, don't freak out if you start shedding on Minoxidil, it is very normal. New and better hair will grow in. Give it a good 6 months before you judge results.

3. I can't suggest that you get started on Finasteride since you are underage, but know that it is THE mother load of treatments. Your number one goal is to cut off the DHT supply. I gotta say that Finasteride (Propecia) could you with some nasty (sexual) side effects. Only about 2-3% of people get them, but the chance is there.

There's a number of very interesting developments in new treatments to lower DHT differently to the way Propecia does it, like S-Equol (It binds to the DHT itself, instead of inhibiting the enzymes that reduce testosterone into DHT) and Keratene Retard (I know, stupid name) (which binds to the enzymes instead of inhibiting) and therefore reducing side effects.

But again, you're 16, so you can't get on these treatments yet. I am simply putting it out there. Up to you to discuss with your doctor.

Have a good talk with your parents. Remember that the way you say things can get you places.

Be patient with them and explain to them how you feel, and why this is important to you.

Much luck buddy.

- Rud

ADS

Reaction score
Hey ADS, sorry that you're starting to lose your hair at such an early age. I'm 23, so I feel your pain.

Listen man, here's what I'd do.

1. Get a Ketaconazole shampoo, preferably with Saw Palmetto in it (there are many brands like Revita, Regenepure, PerfectHair, etc) and use it daily (yes, daily). Massage it on your scalp and leave it on for a good 5-10 minutes. You can use plain ole' Nizoral as well, which is easy to get, but in that case I'd use it max. 3 times a week. There is a good amount of evidence that Ketoconazole lowers DHT and sebum production on the scalp. Saw Palmetto helps as well. Good stuff.

2. Minoxidil. You can get it here and pretty much everywhere. Wal-Mart, Costco, CVS, etc.

TIP: If you have cats around your house be VERY careful, as it is lethal to them even in trace amounts. Can't stress this enough.

Also, don't freak out if you start shedding on Minoxidil, it is very normal. New and better hair will grow in. Give it a good 6 months before you judge results.

3. I can't suggest that you get started on Finasteride since you are underage, but know that it is THE mother load of treatments. Your number one goal is to cut off the DHT supply. I gotta say that Finasteride (Propecia) could you with some nasty (sexual) side effects. Only about 2-3% of people get them, but the chance is there.

There's a number of very interesting developments in new treatments to lower DHT differently to the way Propecia does it, like S-Equol (It binds to the DHT itself, instead of inhibiting the enzymes that reduce testosterone into DHT) and Keratene Retard (I know, stupid name) (which binds to the enzymes instead of inhibiting) and therefore reducing side effects.

But again, you're 16, so you can't get on these treatments yet. I am simply putting it out there. Up to you to discuss with your doctor.

Have a good talk with your parents. Remember that the way you say things can get you places.

Be patient with them and explain to them how you feel, and why this is important to you.

Much luck buddy.

- Rud
Thanks alot man, also how are these things working for you?

rudimentary

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot man, also how are these things working for you?

Hello. I use a Ketaconazole/Saw Palmetto Shampoo (Sometimes Regenepure sometimes Revita), and take a Zinc/B6/Chasteberry supplement combo to lower my Prolactin levels (It stimulates 5-alpha-reductase, which in turn produces more DHT, that's why I lower it, and I've done blood tests to confirm it works), and almost started on Finasteride but decided to order Keratene (still waiting on delivery) which lowers DHT without the sexual side effects (ALLEGEDLY).

I will also get a blood test done before and after starting on it to see that it is working properly.

That's my plan of attack. The Ket/SP Shampoo HAS slowed down my loss, that I can say for sure, and the Zinc/B6/Chasteberry combo HAS lowered my prolactin, for sure.

Now I just want to mop the remaining DHT floating around my body and hopefully that will stop my hair loss 90%