13 months in (propecia only)

JayWalker69

Reaction score
DEC31/07
Just wanted to report some good news since I think the number one complaint here is that some people have success and don't tell their story.

For the back story, read the first entry in this post. In the last 6 months, hair has been pretty good. As of last month, I believe my hair looks acceptable when wet which is really saying something. I should also mention that I never used minoxidil. I use 2 percent nizoral every once in a while if my scalp is tingly or itchy (which it isn't often). ummmm...really no side effects to speak of. I thought for a while possible gyno, but it was just that I gained 15 pounds and naturally some fat and muscle gathered on my chest. The power of thought (placebo effect) is amazing.

What does everyone think? Yes or no?

Nov 30/06
DSC02690.jpg

June19/07
DSC04608.jpg

Dec30/07
DSC05104.jpg

JUNE19/07 entry
Hey all,

Intro

24 year old male, not much history of male pattern baldness in the family, but I have an uncle who was bald in his 30's (talking NW7) Maternal grandfather had good hair till his death at age 82. I first noticed my own hair thinning back in about october 2006. I've always had a high hairline, but it was the thinning that really concerned me. I got a prescription for propecia and popped my first pill on nov 30/06, about 2 months after noticing my little problem. So that's just about 7 months on propecia.

Shedding

Prior to my first pill, I was shedding quite a bit, but I've always shed quite a bit so I didn't really think anything was different. However, the first two weeks after popping propecia the shedding stopped! No more hair on my hands in the shower. THe next two weeks a ton of little weak looking, short, lighter hairs began to fall out. I took this as a good sign.

Around the start of month two I had a pretty damn good shed. I remember being amazed that I counted 50 hairs on my hand at one time in the shower. That lasted about a week, then it was all good for a month. The next shed came a month later. For a week. Then another 3 weeks of good, then another week long shed. At the end of month four, I had my worst one. I counted 100 hairs on both my hands in the shower(at once, that is).

So I did what anyone should do, I buzzed my head. I would guess that my hair was cosmetically different but I'm not sure, it was so short. Long story short, I shed about 6 months or so before it stopped. And you know what? I think sheds are absolutely necessary for success! Almost all my shed hairs are shorter and thinner than the rest (i.e. minituarized). And when they grow back, they came back in thicker! So my success has not been regrowth per se, but a reversal of the miniturization. I even received comments from my mother and sister about how my short hair looks thicker and that stress must have done some damage (I doubt they know I'm on meds)

Side effects

None from propecia. At all. Nizoral 2 percent gave me bad psoriasis on my neck, where my hair meets the skin (anyone else have this problem??) I solved that by getting one percent and using it on the top of my head only. No troubles now.

Conclusion

I'm a little ashamed to say, but the loss initially affected me alot. I was constantly thinking about my hair, checking it in the mirror, noticing other guys hair (norwood spotter, definitley). Now, whole days can go by when I don't even think about it at all, and when I do, it's not in dread. I also don't look at other guys hair so critically. And let's face it, folks, non-balding men and women don't put a microscope up to your head to exam your baldness. Most wouldn't even notice, except in passing, unless it's beyond NW4 or so I guess.

Anyways, I'm super happy with what finasterides done for me so far. The best part: no minoxidil. I suppose I'll add that in when finasteride stops working, but let's hope that day is 5 years away or more. Hell, maybe HM will be out? Fingers are solidly crossed.

Sage advice

I dunno...stay on the meds, first of all. Even when you start to shed (you probably will) Remember all that hair on your hands will be back in 3 or 4 months, thicker than ever. Seconds, TRY not to think about it too much, or let it consume you. This is hard, I know. Thirds, stay positive. That's pretty cliche, but whatever.

My hairs a little greasy cuz I didn't wash it today, but you get the point.

orenso

Reaction score
looks good!!

it doesn't seems that u have a hairloss problem at all ....im popping propecia 8 month and still shedding without see any visiable new hairs..im trying not to think about it too much but im afraid that maybe propecia doesnt work for me....anyway happy for ya!!

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice work man. I certainly see an improvement. It seems you were slowly losing ground on the vertex region. But you've refilled that area nicely, or shall I say -- thickly. Also, overall, your hair seems to be better (more hair throughout). Congrats man!

And I know how you feel as far as how non-balding people take notice. A lot of times they really don't notice until the loss is pretty severe. What you said about your shedding was interesting too (I didn't know sheds could come and go and come and go that much).

killbill123

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, man...I appreciate hearing a successful Propecia story that features shedding...since I'm nearly 2 months in and have been doing a good bit of that.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
hair looks a lot more healthy in the second pic.

CatchItEarly

Reaction score
dude, im in the same situation u are in in the first picture, but im only 22.

Do you think ill get results if i start taking half a pill of propecia each day? i spoken to my Doctor and he is happy to prescribe it.

CatchItEarly

Reaction score
Also, my father lost his hair at 30, both my granddads have no hair left as well. with me i think its all genetics.

JayWalker69

Reaction score
Only 22? I was 23 when that pic was taken.

And yes, you would probably get results with half a pill a day. The thing is though, it seems to vary with every individual.

Heres my theory:

Some people have excess DHT in their bodies and some people have very little. People with lots of DHT would have lots of arm hair, chest hair, back hair, etc etc. People with very little would not have these traits.

Some peoples hair is susceptible to DHT. Those that are susceptible have hair falling out, those that aren't, don't.

People whose hair is susceptible to DHT and have excess amounts are bald and will bald early. People who arne't susceptible but have lots of DHT (think alex baldwin or something) may or may not bald. Same thing with people who have little DHT. The best case I guess would be not susceptible and little DHT.

Ok, so what relevance does this have? I think people who have excess DHT but who aren't overly susceptible to the effects of DHT will be most successful on propecia.

I myself noticed an increase in arm and chest hair several months before the thinning. This seemed to correspond to me hitting the gym a lot and gaining testosterone (not that I want to discourage anyone from going to the gym).

On propecia, my arm hair has become wispy and little boy-ish.

So if you have noticed new body hair and you're well past puberty or you suspect you for some reason may have increased DHT then I think propecia is for you.

Note: I'm not a scientist, this is only my opinion.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
JayWalker69 said:

And yes, you would probably get results with half a pill a day. The thing is though, it seems to vary with every individual.

Heres my theory:

Some people have excess DHT in their bodies and some people have very little. People with lots of DHT would have lots of arm hair, chest hair, back hair, etc etc. People with very little would not have these traits.

Some peoples hair is susceptible to DHT. Those that are susceptible have hair falling out, those that aren't, don't.

People whose hair is susceptible to DHT and have excess amounts are bald and will bald early. People who arne't susceptible but have lots of DHT (think alex baldwin or something) may or may not bald. Same thing with people who have little DHT. The best case I guess would be not susceptible and little DHT.

Ok, so what relevance does this have? I think people who have excess DHT but who aren't overly susceptible to the effects of DHT will be most successful on propecia.

I myself noticed an increase in arm and chest hair several months before the thinning. This seemed to correspond to me hitting the gym a lot and gaining testosterone (not that I want to discourage anyone from going to the gym).

So if you have noticed new body hair and you're well past puberty or you suspect you for some reason may have increased DHT then I think propecia is for you.

not to be an ***....but your opinion is wrong.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
JayWalker69 said:

Heres my theory:

not to be an ***....but your opinion is wrong.

CatchItEarly

Reaction score
Funny thing is, i stared hitting the gymn about 9 months ago. hard. like 6days a week, 5 days weights and 1 day cardio.

Before the gymn, i hardly had any body hair, it was all thin arm hairs, no back hair, a small snail trail up my stomach and very fine chest hairs. thats all.

Now, what ive noticed is that, im getting alot of hair growning on my upper back, just under my neck. all my body hairs are thickening up, except for for my crown and frontal regions of my scalp that have thinned alot and shed alittle. also ive noticed my temple regions have receeded like 1-2 cms in that 9 months as well.

this sorta fits with what your saying. i thought the thickening body hair was just a later stage of puberty. i just shaved it off.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
CatchItEarly said:
Funny thing is, i stared hitting the gymn about 9 months ago. hard. like 6days a week, 5 days weights and 1 day cardio.

Before the gymn, i hardly had any body hair, it was all thin arm hairs, no back hair, a small snail trail up my stomach and very fine chest hairs. thats all.

Now, what ive noticed is that, im getting alot of hair growning on my upper back, just under my neck. all my body hairs are thickening up, except for for my crown and frontal regions of my scalp that have thinned alot and shed alittle. also ive noticed my temple regions have receeded like 1-2 cms in that 9 months as well.

this sorta fits with what your saying. i thought the thickening body hair was just a later stage of puberty. i just shaved it off.

going to the gym is not going to raize your test levels significantly at all....you will remain at baseline...it cause a test spike which only lasts for a couple of hours.

growing more body hair b/c of the gym is bullshit.

G

btw, short hair looks thicker than long hair because i read that hair is thicker at the root than at the bulb. i've posted over and over again about how the spike from the after gym workout is only temporary and goes back down again 2-3 hours afterward. besides, you're on finasteride.

G

and yes i agree with HTGT. that is really a ridiculous thing to say.

CatchItEarly

Reaction score
Then why did i grow all this body hair as soon as i started hitting the gym. i think it has impacted me, i have gained alot of body weight (muscle) and lost alot of fat ever since i started. but as for its impact on my hairloss, idk.

G

CatchItEarly said:
i think it has impacted me, i have gained alot of body weight (muscle) and lost alot of fat ever since i started.

wow, you gained muscle and lost fat by going to the gym? revolutionary. :lol:

that has nothing to do with your other point which you have no evidence for i'm afraid

you probably grew the body hair cause you're getting older, you're what 22-23, this is the time where a lot of guys start to notice a spike in body hair from my experience. the first time after the puberty spike.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
CatchItEarly said:
Then why did i grow all this body hair as soon as i started hitting the gym. i think it has impacted me, i have gained alot of body weight (muscle) and lost alot of fat ever since i started. but as for its impact on my hairloss, idk.

lifting weights does nothign to permanently alter your hormones....you test spikes...just like when your having sex..you have a test spike...but you return to baseline within a couple of hours.

G

hair today gone tomorrow said:
CatchItEarly said:

lifting weights does nothign to permanently alter your hormones....you test spikes...just like when your having sex..you have a test spike...but you return to baseline within a couple of hours.

To: JayMan
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:35 am
Subject: hey so whats your opinion Quote message
please don't think i'm a weirdo or something but i would like to know your opinion on masturbation and dht.

:hairy: