12% minoxidil

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
Just ordered some 12% min with az acid from Gen Hair...been on 5% for 2 years now with no signs of success.... I think. Call me obsessive but I don't want to give up on the stuff because all I ever see or hear about minoxidil is people singing it's praises and I want to give one of the few proven treatments a final throw of the dice. So I just wanted to hear of peoples experience on the ultra strength variety and a couple of q's:

1. Most importantly, is it more likely to work for me then the 5% strength?

2. Any severe risk of sides? If so, what!

Grazie.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Barry_Blue said:
1. Most importantly, is it more likely to work for me then the 5% strength?

Like all these questions, hard to say, 15% (Dr Lees Xandrox) has started to sprout quite a few dark hairs along my hairline. I attribute this to the 15%, but it could also be the harvest of 2 years of finasteride + 5% minoxidil finally breaking through, who knows ???

Barry_Blue said:
2. Any severe risk of sides? If so, what!

Minoxidil side effects are less common than finasteride side effects for the very reason that it is a topical rather than a systemic treatment.

But sides can occur, applying minxidil on a damp or wet scalp can cause systemic over absorption, applying more than the recommended 1ml can also cause systemic over absorption. Also look out for things like heart palpitations, a swollen face and death :)

I used to splash my 5% onto a damp scalp and get heart palpitations, I changed to a dry scalp and the problem disappeared, and have never returned even with 15% Xandrox

All medications carry a risk of side effects, aspirin and toothpaste included, I would say if used as recommended minoxidil (even your 12%) is fairly innocuous.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Radio said:
I used to splash my 5% onto a damp scalp and get heart palpitations, I changed to a dry scalp and the problem disappeared, and have never returned even with 15% Xandrox.

How many minutes later would you experience heart palpitations?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
For me, it took maybe 30 minutes or less. It was qiuck. At the time, I attributed it to my hysteria.

BTW, where did you get your quotation?

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Radio said:
I used to splash my 5% onto a damp scalp and get heart palpitations, I changed to a dry scalp and the problem disappeared, and have never returned even with 15% Xandrox.

How many minutes later would you experience heart palpitations?

Maybe 1 or 2 hours later (perhaps longer?).

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Radio said:
Also look out for things like heart palpitations, a swollen face and death :)

You crack me up Radio/Ty good to have you back!!

SE-freak

Reaction score
Weepy said:
BTW, where did you get your quotation?

"Beauty is transitory. Beauty survives".
... Spock and Kirk, "That Which Survives," stardate unknown..