10 Years on Propecia Rogaine Nizoral - Success

30_going_on_60

Established Member
Reaction score
I originally found this site around the Athens Olympics after my dermatologist aunt recommended rogaine and propecia. I got very good success very early and as a result have avoided the site. The worst hairloss times for me were 10 years ago, reading through every single post on this site to the point of it being all I thought about. Surely the thousands of people that have had success on here have left the site and gone on to enjoy life.

When I was in my early 20"s, I would practically cry when I looked in the mirror or saw a picture of myself. This severely affected my confidence and social life. I must say, that with age, it gets a little easier. Thanks to nizoral, finasteride and rogaine, I have not only maintained what I have had for the last 10 years (wish I started sooner) but it has even improved over that time. The days when I would spend hours on here HOPING for some magic miracle cure to pop up, I neglected every other part of my life. I got fat and out of shape and I would wear whatevr clothes I had from years ago.

With improved style and joining a gym, I have improved the non hair aspects of my life and thats made a huge difference. I have recently added a little bit of dermatch to fill in trouble spots on my head and it looks awesome. No one has detected it yet, and I'm talking some serious NW1 assholes that would point it out in a second. My thinking here is that people without hairloss seriously do not notice.
I went from an out of shape, anti social hermit, to a confident, attractive guy. I actually LIKE what I see in the mirror. At 23, I was pretty much a hat prisoner and everyone knew it. Now, I can get away with looking like I have no hairloss at all. Women hit on ME!!! THis has never happened. I used to think about hairloss like 95% of the day, and since I started meds, it's been like MAYBE 20 minutes a week, if that. Thats liek 10 extra years of life in a way. Hairloss cost me my 20's, it really has, but I am making it up for it now thanks to this website.
Remember, a lot of people that have had success are not here to talk about it because its so depressing. Just remember, it gets easier and less of an issue when you're older, no matter how crappy it feels now,i can only get better! I DO try to avoid this website, unless I need some new information, but its been great! Good luck to everyone!

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
great story!!! thanks!

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Remember you mentioning it in another thread, your longevity treating hairloss that is. Great to hear of long term success stories like yourself, for now I always have rogaine to fall back on but finasteride is doing what I wanted and more, 13 months on it. =]

BillyGnosis

Reaction score
Glad to hear about your long term success. How aggressive was your hairloss when you started treatments?

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
Great story, thank you for sharing it.

Hairloss is no longer a problem in my case (thanks to finasteride and minoxidil) but now I also need to lose weight. Three months ago, I started going to the gym and hired a PT: I've already lost 10 lbs, I look better but I still have a lot work ahead of me.

30_going_on_60

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, good to hear so many of you are doing well!

@Billy G: If I were to rate my hairloss aggressiveness on a scale of 1-10, 10 being super aggressive, I'd say it was a 7 before meds. And the only reason it wasnt higher is because I lost so much in one year. From 21-22, it was probably a 9. At a party, someone actually said to me "wow, you had hair LAST time I saw you!" As a 22 year old, this not only ruins your night, but deters you from going out in the future. Needless to say, i was someone with REAL hairloss, not one of the guys on here that is "slightly thinning" in their late 30's. People would call me bald. there is ZERO doubt in my mind that if I didnt start the big 3, I would be have been a full blown NW6/7 by 27/28.

@Mr White: Good to hear about the 10 pounds, in another few short months you"ll look and feel like a brand new person. By the sound of things, you are in for a really good few years! I don't know what your story is, and if you chase women or whatever, but for what its worth the difference in my body has had a MUCH better impact on the way that people percieve me than the difference in my hair ever did. Whether you're 20 or 50, it will be a positive. Also, the difference between looking in the mirror to see how much better things were getting (body the past few years)compared to how much worse (hair 10 years ago) has a massive effect on my confidence and self worth. Say what you want about meds, but the positive impact that is created and renewed confidence is something that someone without hairloss will never feel in thier life.

@Lincoln: I live in Canda, so I have to buy my minoxidil from the states. I use liquid, only once a day, at night. The first year, i would use it twice a day. I just buy whichever brand is cheaper when I make it down there. Hasn't made a difference, usually Rogaine, sometimes another company. Switching has never been a problem for me over such a long time. And it doesnt affect my day in the slightest.

BillyGnosis

Reaction score
Wow, good to hear so many of you are doing well!

@Billy G: If I were to rate my hairloss aggressiveness on a scale of 1-10, 10 being super aggressive, I'd say it was a 7 before meds. And the only reason it wasnt higher is because I lost so much in one year. From 21-22, it was probably a 9. At a party, someone actually said to me "wow, you had hair LAST time I saw you!" As a 22 year old, this not only ruins your night, but deters you from going out in the future. Needless to say, i was someone with REAL hairloss, not one of the guys on here that is "slightly thinning" in their late 30's. People would call me bald. there is ZERO doubt in my mind that if I didnt start the big 3, I would be have been a full blown NW6/7 by 27/28.

Hey, glad to hear. I only asked because I think my loss is aggressive and it seemed to thin a lot in the year before I started treatment. I still have good coverage, but my hair was thinning in quite an extensive area; even the donor area feels a lot thinner than it was. Most people couldn't tell I have a problem (never had a comments) but I've probably lost > 60% of the bulk from my hair which was once very thick. I've been on finasteride about 16 months and so far I have maintained and maybe thickened very slightly. I'm thinking to add minoxidil to improve bulk/thickness.

30_going_on_60

Established Member
Reaction score
Billy: Wow, no comments? You must have got it early, or at least early enough. I know i DID catch it, but didn;t do anything about it for probably 2-3 years. I think a lot of people are all like "my hairloss will just stop" or "theres NOTHING that works,otherwise there wouldnt be bald people anywhere, so why bother?" I was in that boat for a few years. I still remember being super scared to talk to my doctor about it and worried about hearing "it wont work!" or "it"ll give you horrible side effects, I can;t prescribe it." Awesome that its maintaining for you, and the worst of it is over. Its that first step thats really scary.
By the sound of things, you don't need rogaine. Although to me its about as much of a bother as brushing my teeth (probably less) I'd still rather not have to put it on, pay for it, or worry about someone finding it or having to explain what it is to airport security (that's actually happened btw.) If youre looking for simple, covert thickening, might I suggest Tricomin shampoo and spray. After my first use of the shampoo, I could literally FEEL my hair getting heavier and it looked thicker right away. The feeling of hair was somethign I havent felt in about 13 years.