10 years later (finasteride only) Success story?

HairTilliDie

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Wow! Its been 10 years since I started this journey. Started losing my hair at 21 and now almost 31, and I think i qualify as a success story? i thought it would be fair to come back let you know of my progress. During this time I've only taken finasteride and nizoral (nizoral on and off for the first few years - havent used it in at least 5 years). I'll post pics later but I've been able to maintain and even regrow hair.

Recently, I've noticed some thinning (since my last haircut) on my right temple and I'm at a point where im considering adding to my treatments.
I want to start minoxidil to continue this battle! My biggest concern (as with many) is the initial shed. At this point I have enough coverage that i can style my hair without anyone ever guessing that i have male pattern baldness. So my question is .. should i take the plunge and get on minoxidil? I would use it strictly for my right temple and see how it goes? Also, does foam or liquid work best on temples - im thinking i'll get the kirkland 5% brand off amazon as they deliver to canada.

All feedback appreciated!

#HairtillIdie!!

Attachments

• IMG_3405.JPG
    IMG_3405.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,383
  • IMG_3404.JPG
    IMG_3404.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 2,812
  • IMG_3402.JPG
    IMG_3402.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 2,388
  • IMG_3365.JPG
    IMG_3365.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 2,327
  • IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 2,302

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your hair looks great. Do you have any before pics? What dosage and brand of finasteride do you use?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Should just jump to dutasteride especially if you responded that well to finasteride.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Your hair is holding up well with your current treatment. Wolf, if you see this guy's hair, mine is very similar to his more than it is to yours. As far as minoxidil, it will just thicken up your existing hairs but I doubt your hairline is going to change much significantly. If you shed, it should not be too noticeable as you still have alot of hair. You and I have almost identical cases but I never noticed hair loss until much later in my life as I really honestly never payed much attention to my hair.

I have been taken dutasteride for almost one year just once per week with finasteride the rest of the days and I don't think it made a difference. I think it might make it harder for you to lose weight on it too. I notice my chest borders on gyno when I take it too. I am going to weed myself off it. I will just stay on Propecia and stick to that. If my hair is wet, I can see I am thinning all over similar to you in your photo when your hair was wet in your old thread. Does your hair still look like that if its wet now? I was told by Dr Greco, who is a big PRP advocate, that your pattern of loss can be seen best when your hair is wet and in 5 years that pattern is most likely your future. However, I guess if you on medication, the timeline can be offset.

HairTilliDie

Reaction score
Thanks, Doctor. I'm not looking to change my hairline. I honestly just want to hold on to what i have an perhaps thicken up my temples, specifically the right one. I'm not even stressing about the crown but for some reason my right temple is losing density and its really starting to bother me. Perhaps im just noticing more since my last haircut. Do you think the kirkland liquid 5% will be the best option in my case? I plan to use it only on that temple and see what happens. As far as dutasteride, I dont really want to go there at this point.
Also, what can i take in terms of supplements? Green tea / biotin? Thanks so much, guys!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thanks, Doctor. I'm not looking to change my hairline. I honestly just want to hold on to what i have an perhaps thicken up my temples, specifically the right one. I'm not even stressing about the crown but for some reason my right temple is losing density and its really starting to bother me. Perhaps im just noticing more since my last haircut. Do you think the kirkland liquid 5% will be the best option in my case? I plan to use it only on that temple and see what happens. As far as dutasteride, I dont really want to go there at this point.
Also, what can i take in terms of supplements? Green tea / biotin? Thanks so much, guys!
Kirkland liquid is fine but I think the foam is easier to use. But the liquid is easy to get in between hairs. Minoxidil should help thicken up your existing hairs and you might get some regrowth so your expectations seem reasonable.

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's awesome that your results were so good. Congrats! Hope you can hold onto it for many years to come :D

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh, I see in your old thread you were thinking of adding minoxidil to the regimen. Did you end up sticking with just finasteride and nizoral? Did those two thicken up the areas on top where you were thinning? Seems finasteride can bring some regrowth after all.

Also, what was your experience cutting the finasteride pills? What kind of pill cutter did you use? I feel like I'm getting almost perfect 1/4 pieces, but there's a little bit of crumbling and they're not exactly right angles. Will that make a big difference, or is it just important to get the 5mg per week?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair is holding up well with your current treatment. Wolf, if you see this guy's hair, mine is very similar to his more than it is to yours. As far as minoxidil, it will just thicken up your existing hairs but I doubt your hairline is going to change much significantly. If you shed, it should not be too noticeable as you still have alot of hair. You and I have almost identical cases but I never noticed hair loss until much later in my life as I really honestly never payed much attention to my hair.

I have been taken dutasteride for almost one year just once per week with finasteride the rest of the days and I don't think it made a difference. I think it might make it harder for you to lose weight on it too. I notice my chest borders on gyno when I take it too. I am going to weed myself off it. I will just stay on Propecia and stick to that. If my hair is wet, I can see I am thinning all over similar to you in your photo when your hair was wet in your old thread. Does your hair still look like that if its wet now? I was told by Dr Greco, who is a big PRP advocate, that your pattern of loss can be seen best when your hair is wet and in 5 years that pattern is most likely your future. However, I guess if you on medication, the timeline can be offset.

Just saw this Doctor. Well, in that case you both have a pretty good hairline!