10 months! proscar/nizoral sucess!

phatony604

Reaction score
Well, how do I start my story here. First of all I don't have any pictures I'm sorry, that is probably the thing I regret the most was not take any pictures at home. A little bit about myself first, I am 23years old currently, I noticed my hair thining rapidly at age 22, which was in May 2007, by the summer time. I had diffuse thining, as well as the temples area. Anyway, like all young people at first, I freaked the hell out and started researching and reading everything I could find, I was partially in denial about me being male pattern baldness. I found a lot of products online that could be purchased, including taking herbals and all that stuff. I started taking vitamins thinking I was malnutritioned and eating healthy, cutting down smoking. I then went to see a doctor, which referred me to a dermatologist, I was diagnosed with male pattern baldness and they took pictures of me in August 2007 (it was pretty bad then). I know how it is guys, when sunlight strikes your head, you feel a very warm sensation, infact I tried to stay outa the sun because people would see that I am balding. I had to even style my hair a different way (my hair used to be spiked mohawk style kinda like david beckham) and it then turned into a combover more like. People still couldnt really tell I was balding because I covered it up hella well.

Anyway, the doctor assigned me some propecia, I read a lot about it and was very skeptical (especially with the sexual side affects thing) not to mention it was quite pricey in comparison with proscar. I decided to take a gamble and order some Proscar to save money off the internet. I showed my doctor what I had ordered and, although he wasn't 100% sure, it seemed legitiment. So I started my regimin September 02 2007 by breaking the proscar into 5 pieces (1mg / piece). I didn't think of it much, I lived my life as if balding wasn't there, although I had to admit that I wore a hat a lot more, especially at school. When I showered, I used to count the pieces of hair in the drain, it would drive me nuts, on average it would be about 70-100 pieces of hair that fell out. Now I know this site says that is normal, but it still drove me nuts. Shortly after, I stopped counting, and I started to wash my hair in cold water, as hair follicles close in cold water. Every day it seemed like a routine, after dinner, I would always pop the proscar, and it just seemed like nothing. About 3 months in, I had some bad sheds, it will be very clear to any user that it is infact a shed as a lot more hair is lost in the shower (even without counting). But I was patient and didn't let it bother me because I knew it was normal. So.. fast forward to now, June 2008, 10 months in (or just under) and I just visited my dermotologist, he compared my hair to the pictures he took in the clinic, my diffuse thining near the back/crown of my head had significantly regrew, and overall diffusing has diminished, he said there is definitely great progress and to continue using it. I looked in the mirror (and I mean a really long look) and I noticed there was infact some seriuos regrowing. I was so happy. So what Im trying to say is, you gota be patient and just keep doing what your doing, bald or whatever I was ready to shave my head anyways. I trolled these boards for the last 10months, and this is my first posting, there will be more and i will try to take those pictures from my doctor if he lets me haha..

Anyways my regimine consisted of:

Proscar 5mg - Broken into 5 pieces of 1mg each
Nizoral - 2 times a week
Jason's thin to thick shampoo (this stuff is great, makes your hair feel/look thicker)

Just don't give up to those who are shedding on their propecia regimine, this stuff actually works and hey, if it doesn't work out? just start hitting the Gym and shave your head. Goodluck to all of you guys

Shawnab

Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks, get those pics! :)

I wish I wasnt blonde, I have honestly never seen a single hair go into my drain, ever.. would have gave me a few warning signs atleast.

aussie

Reaction score
Good to hear mate! :bravo:

Im into my 4th month of Propecia now (rogaine for a few years) and have noticed im going through a massive shed, kinda scary i must admit :crazy: Guess i just have to be patient and know/hope it'll come back thicker :whistle:

Epiphany

Reaction score
aussie said:
Im into my 4th month of Propecia now (rogaine for a few years) and have noticed im going through a massive shed, kinda scary i must admit :crazy: Guess i just have to be patient and know/hope it'll come back thicker :whistle:

Yeh man, just keep at it for another 6 months and re-evaluate the situation. I know that seems like a long time away, but it soon comes! It could just be timing, that your terminal hairs are falling out right now, and they will hopefully grow back stronger than ever, just in time for Christmas :)

aussie

Reaction score
well that would be a nice Christmas present indeed lol