10-Month (& 1 Week) Dutasteride & Rogaine Results

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Average quotidian hairloss for the last 4 months: ~50 noticeable hairs daily from the hairline and temples.

With one swoop of my brush, I'll get 25+ hairs... It's awful.

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

Prior to using Avodart, I was on Propecia for 10.5 months, and my entire scalp was see-through. I had buzzed my hair very short to help deal with masking the thinning. My hairline had great regrowth the first 6 months on Avodart.

4 more months on Avodart, and the temples started to recede a little bit, which is a cause of concern.

Mid-scalp and crown have closed up and are maintaining.

I've considered going to Armani, and have a graft quote of 2700.

I'm really unsure if that's a good idea.

(EDIT: I'm particularly proud of the crown regrowth I've had. It doesn't even look like I had a quarter-sized/fifty-cent-sized baldspot back there!

The pics in this are of BEDHEAD and don't actually show the temples. I don't pull my hair back anymore, simply because of the many hairs that fall back. I just leave my hair forward.)

JWM

Reaction score
Aplunk

Your hair looks great bud. Stick with it. dutasteride + minoxidil + Folligen is a great regimen.

Sean68

Reaction score
looking good man.your hair definitely looks healthy.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I can say with perfect honesty that I've experienced modest regrowth from using Avodart.

I'm indeed very happy with the results, except that my temples are really high, and my hairline area is very thin.

In all truthfulness, I'm earnesty considering undergoing the 2700 graft procedure at Armani.

I mean, I'm maintaining my hair, except my hairline. These are my 20's, and it would make a huge difference in my life if I could have a solid hairline for the rest of my life, even if it's only at 70-90% density.

My Norwood has been projected to never progress past a Norwood 4 or 5, and I have excellent donor characteristics and hair type for this: wavy and course.

I've researched the hell out of it, and I'm saving some $$ for the procedure, but I wonder if I'm just being naive?

Thoughts?

CCS

Reaction score
aplunk1,

post a picture of your front from the eye brows up with your hair combed back and tell me the distance in cm between your pupils and put dots on your forehead above them and I will tell you exactly how many grafts you need, so you can compare it to armanies estimate. I also need the distance from the top of your eyebrows to the bottom of your nose. I've been looking at 1000's of hair lines while deciding where to put mine.

So do you think Dutas would do the same thing your avodart did? I'll know soon when I do a better test, but just curious how long you used dutas. You said your hair line thinned. Did it thicken back in at all?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
So do you think Dutas would do the same thing your avodart did? I'll know soon when I do a better test, but just curious how long you used dutas. You said your hair line thinned. Did it thicken back in at all?

I don't give Dutas my 100% trust.

I think you WILL benefit in some way using Dutas, but you should at LEAST be using them everyday.

I know that conflicts with some evidence that 3 a week is useful, I think the once-a-day routine is much better.

I'm going to PM in a few minutes, k, college?

Felk

Reaction score
I'll say it again - you've pretty much obliterated any signs on hair loss Aplunk. So congratulations.

Just something i noticed, your hair looks great dude so don't take this the wrong way - you appear to have some dandruff in those pictures, which is never good for hair loss. Is nizoral and/or T-Gel not cutting it for eliminating this?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Felk said:
I'll say it again - you've pretty much obliterated any signs on hair loss Aplunk. So congratulations.

Just something i noticed, your hair looks great dude so don't take this the wrong way - you appear to have some dandruff in those pictures, which is never good for hair loss. Is nizoral and/or T-Gel not cutting it for eliminating this?

Thanks Felk,

I appreciate the comments.

Actually, those flakes in my hair are the last of the ppg from the Rogaine getting off my scalp.... Since switching to Rogaine Foam, and getting of Dr. Lee's and regular Rogaine, my scalp has been been getting these flakes off.

My hair is pretty healthy looking now, and Head and Shoulders is doing a good job.

Nizoral is too expensive for me, so I don't use it anymore.

joeylloyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I hear you about not quite trusting generics. At the end of the day that extra bit of security with the patent holders of any drug is worth the extra cost. When I compare indian sildenafil with original v**** the pfizer stuff feels stronger to me. That is common to most people. I think you are right in playing it smart.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Right on man...your hair looks great.

In your condition, I wouldn't consider a hair transplant any more than I'd consider a "just for fun" kidney transplant. Dumb comparison maybe, but in your case a hair transplant is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. No offense whatsoever - but I think your perception may be a bit distorted right now.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I'm rushing into things.

I just feel desperate to have a chance at feeling better about myself.
I could really use the self-esteem boost, but not at the cost of f*****g up my life if a hair transplant went wrong.

Trebor

Reaction score
I hate you.

Your hair looks great.

G

Crown thinning is basically gone compared to baseline. Of course that's dutasteride's specialty. I doubted that dutasteride will regrow temples in most people because finasteride has trouble as well so if you want to get some temple back you may need to do your hair transplant. Or just wait it out till HM and just use dutasteride to maintain in the meantime. I don't see a reason to throw down cash for a hair transplant right now when HM is just around the corner and all you really have is a mature hairline a few years too early that wouldn't really be noticeable if you combed your hair a bit forward. Just my $.02

chromedomefear

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk,

A few questions for you, as our hair attributes seem quite similar....

I was using Propecia. I switched to Avodart this past August 1. I've been using minoxidil 5%, Folligen in the morning, Prox-n in the evening. I've lost more hair in the past two months than I have in the past 4 years. It's noticeable in the mirror, in my hands during a shower, in the drains....everywhere. 2 months ago my head looked like yours does now. Did you experience a noticeable shed at first with dutasteride? I started out using it every other day the first month, and now i use it 3 days a week (MWF). I want to hold out and give it a shot, but holy crap, it's freakin' me out.

Anyone else got any ideas, tips, or other smart remarks?

I'm not educated enough on dutasteride to know if switching to every day use would change this for better or worse, but I'm willing to try almost anything to stop this intense shedding....unless it's not a shed, which would suck.....but I'm only only paying $19 for 30 pills of Avodart....so I got that going for me, which is nice.

CDF

Aplunk1

Reaction score
chromedomefear said:
Aplunk,

A few questions for you, as our hair attributes seem quite similar....

I was using Propecia. I switched to Avodart this past August 1. I've been using minoxidil 5%, Folligen in the morning, Prox-n in the evening. I've lost more hair in the past two months than I have in the past 4 years. It's noticeable in the mirror, in my hands during a shower, in the drains....everywhere. 2 months ago my head looked like yours does now. Did you experience a noticeable shed at first with dutasteride? I started out using it every other day the first month, and now i use it 3 days a week (MWF). I want to hold out and give it a shot, but holy crap, it's freakin' me out.

Anyone else got any ideas, tips, or other smart remarks?

I'm not educated enough on dutasteride to know if switching to every day use would change this for better or worse, but I'm willing to try almost anything to stop this intense shedding....unless it's not a shed, which would suck.....but I'm only only paying $19 for 30 pills of Avodart....so I got that going for me, which is nice.

CDF

My friend, I don't know exactly what's going on with your hair.

It could a be MANY things that are causing an increase in hairloss.

For me, I go through cycles of increased and decreased hair shedding. I guess this is inevitable. Some people, when looking at the website below, argue that my hair went thinner before it got thicker. I'm just not sure yet, but will make a serious, long detailed post at the 12-Month mark.

But, for you, I REALLY think that you should pick a treatment and STICK with it DAILY! If you want to seriously try Avodart, then do it daily. If you're a bit scared, then you should definitely switch back to Propecia. Keep up with the minoxidil and folligen. I think minoxidil is KEY to success. Always talk to your doctor first.

Only $19 for 30 pills? Pretty sweet deal. So use it everyday!

What Norwood are you now?

Goodluck my friend, and let me know if you have any other concerns.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
If you want to seriously try Avodart, then do it daily.
I don't think so any more. Someone could try lower doses, e.g. 4 x 0.5mg/week. Dutasteride is accumulating in our bodies:

pharmakokinetik-klein.gif

So if you take 0.5mg every day then you have (if you have reached the steady state) all the time 14mg of dutasteride in your body.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I've never seen this graph before.

Do you have that same graph in English? (My German is poor)

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
I've never seen this graph before.

Do you have that same graph in English? (My German is poor)
Sorry, no, but i can translate it next weekend.

CCS

Reaction score
I don't speak german, but I can read graphs, so I'll translate.

Read the key left to right then top to bottom like a page. It says 0.5mg every day, 2 out of 3 days, every other day, every third, etc, all the way to every 7th day. The graph shows the blood concentration of dutasteride after a certain number of days.

To know what levels give you protection, you need a second graph, which is on myspace, which shows how much of each type of 5ar is inhibited at various blood concentrations of dutasteride. It looks like half of a bell curve. Maybe aplunk1 will go on my web page, get the graph, and post it here, and I'll explain how to read it. If my memory is correct, 1/10th the final steady state concentratio reached by dutasteride every day is enough to give proscar like protection. The less you take each day, the longer it takes you to reach that point.