0.5 mg dutasteride suppresses how much DHT in the scalp ?

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
In one study, I read that propecia suppresses 38% of scalp DHT, where 0.5mg dutasteride suppresses 54% of scalp DHT. In another study, I read that propecia suppresses 65% of scalp DHT. So, if propecia suppresses 65% of scalp DHT, then how much scalp dht is suppressed by 0.5mg dutasteride ?

thanks for the help

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I think that falls into the "not known for certain" category. As you've pointed out: alternate studies have produced conflicting results for Propecia. I believe this is also the case with Dutasteride - so maybe its a 54% reduction, or perhaps it's in-line with the percentage reduction of serum DHT levels.

Slarti

G

I also think a confusion arises because there is follicular DHT and sebum DHT which are both considered in the scalp. When reading about statistics it might be that your reading things wrong or the study does not specify exact numbers for the various DHT accumulations throught the scalp and body.

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
since dutasteride works better than propecia for hairloss, and if propecia reduces scalp dht by 65% according to one study, then dutasteride must reduce scalp dht by almost 80% ????? or is this wishful thinking, lol