Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

Topical DHT blocker shampoos

Hi- Just a couple questions for people's experiences. Does a topical DHT blocking "organic" shampoo, whether or not it works, cause any side effects? Is this essentially the same as using Rogaine/Minoxadil, or not. For example, I've read that oral DHT blockers can sometimes have sexual side effects for men, such as Propecia. Also, would discontinuing an herbal DHT blocking shampoo lead to immediate hair loss such as when one stops using Rogaine? Would it have to be used everyday and never ceased. Talking about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pura-dor-Hair-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t thanks

that's assuming a topical DHT blocker shampoo is actually being effective -- which is highly, highly unlikely...don't waste your time...the only shampoo that does anything for hairloss is Nizoral...period...

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith255 View Post
    Hi- Just a couple questions for people's experiences. Does a topical DHT blocking "organic" shampoo, whether or not it works, cause any side effects? Is this essentially the same as using Rogaine/Minoxadil, or not. For example, I've read that oral DHT blockers can sometimes have sexual side effects for men, such as Propecia. Also, would discontinuing an herbal DHT blocking shampoo lead to immediate hair loss such as when one stops using Rogaine? Would it have to be used everyday and never ceased. Talking about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pura-dor-Hair-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t thanks
    That's one of the 'poos in my rotation. I haven't noticed any sides..and I doubt many if any would.

And I disagree on Nizoral being the only shampoo that can be helpful for hair loss. It's not even something I care to use...

I'm a little concerned about this post: "
    Nizoral shampoo contains Ketoconazole - DO NOT USE unless you want to lower testosterone further

http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4658

These people say they're 'not touching it" and "ditched the stuff".
    Why must every hair loss aide have to warn somewhere of losing your manhood?

But does a topical DHT blocking "organic" shampoo work the same (or is it the same as) using Rogaine? Meaning once you start using it you are stuck with it, have to use it everyday and if say you skip a week or two your hair will fall out.

I googled quite a bit yesterday about Nizoral, everything from blind studies showing it actually works to someone who said it made their hair fall out in front and 'never grew back'....someone who had an allergic reaction and pustules..... someone else said it made their hair change color...... I'm thinking its such a common product there's always going to be random misinformation out there and people blaming it for unrelated incidents.
    Another site said get the 2% and people don't leave it on too long to be effective, and yet another site said the 2% is too strong and people should not leave it on too long. *sigh***
    This very site talked about the testosterone thing, and everyone pretty much dismissed it:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact...ocepia-as-Well

Trying to get any real information on the web is a b*tch.
    Still it seems all the real studies showing negative reactions with Ketokonazole (main ingredient in Nizoral) have to do with taking it in pill form and in large amounts...... I don't think topically it would make a difference except to someone's mind, if they read something about it. Seems like that is what is going on with a lot of this stuff, hearsay and people psyching themself into symptoms. This looked pretty good though:

http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/d...es/1/4608.html

"Forty-four ketoconazole users and forty-three zinc pyrithione users completed the 6 month study period. Analysis of the different parameters shows that the hair diameter gradually increases with chronic ketoconazole use (+8.46%) over a 6 month period, whereas the diameter shows a trend to decrease with zinc pyrithione use over the same period (-2.28%). The sebum excretion rate is reduced with ketoconazole (-6.54%) while it increases with zinc pyrithione (+8.2%) over the same period of time. The number of hair shed over a 24-hour period is reduced by 16.46% with ketoconazole and 6.02% with zinc pyrithione after 6 months. Finally, the percentage hairs in anagen phase increased by 6.4% and 8.4% respectively during the study time. Except for the percentage of hairs in anagen, which showed no difference between the two groups, all other parameters were significantly different in favor of the ketoconazole shampoo....."