Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR3?

AR3?

Can someone tell me about this AR3 which finasteride supposedly inhibits, lowering protection to the nervous system etc?

What are these 'other' effects which people claim that fin has which were previously unknown at the time of the FDA studies?

Thanks

Re: AR3?

fin only inhibits AR2

I'm not really sure what I'm asking for - I read a thread here the other day where a few people chiming in about the long term unknown risks because fin causes other changes in the brain and therefore less protection to the nervous system. Someone mentioned AR3

Not much is known about AR3, but apparently fin does inhibit it. I'm not sure how much it is inhibited or what it's function is, but I think there are some studies on Propeciahelp that show a bit more about this.

Some people theorize that since fin inhibits 5AR, that it could affect neurosteroids that those enzymes are also responsible for creating. Some believe that affecting these neurosteroids could cause problems such as Alzheimerís, seizures, motor control problems, and so onÖ This could in fact be the case, but itís important to note that pseudohermaphrodites are born without any 5AR whatsoever. They exhibit ambiguous sexual characteristics during developmental stages in the womb and during puberty, as is to be expected, but do not show additional conditions such as the ones mentioned above.

Itís always possible to find an association if you are actively searching for it, but people have been taking finasteride for over 20 years and I havenít heard of any Ďotherí symptoms popping up in these people.

It's all theory and speculation right now, and most of this is coming from people who are looking day and night to TRY to find some sort of association. It's great to come up with a hypothesis, but everyone is skipping the most important step in the scientific method which is to TEST and to VERIFY. Sure it 'makes sense' right now, but until it's actually been verified, it's not fact, it's just an interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuffer
    Not much is known about AR3, but apparently fin does inhibit it. I'm not sure how much it is inhibited or what it's function is, but I think there are some studies on Propeciahelp that show a bit more about this.

Some people theorize that since fin inhibits 5AR, that it could affect neurosteroids that those enzymes are also responsible for creating. Some believe that affecting these neurosteroids could cause problems such as Alzheimerís, seizures, motor control problems, and so onÖ This could in fact be the case, but itís important to note that pseudohermaphrodites are born without any 5AR whatsoever. They exhibit ambiguous sexual characteristics during developmental stages in the womb and during puberty, as is to be expected, but do not show additional conditions such as the ones mentioned above.

Itís always possible to find an association if you are actively searching for it, but people have been taking finasteride for over 20 years and I havenít heard of any Ďotherí symptoms popping up in these people.

It's all theory and speculation right now, and most of this is coming from people who are looking day and night to TRY to find some sort of association. It's great to come up with a hypothesis, but everyone is skipping the most important step in the scientific method which is to TEST and to VERIFY. Sure it 'makes sense' right now, but until it's actually been verified, it's not fact, it's just an interesting idea.
    Thanks. That's interesting.

I guess that if these people born without any AR enzymes don't have other serious health problems down the line then things should be ok...

I know I'm really overthinking this but I don't want to damage my health and regret it in 30 years time.

Hell i was even reading up on having my sperm frozen earlier because I'd be gutted if i ever damaged my fertility for vanity.

A few case reports have indicated that finasteride can affect sperm fertility, but it has always been shown to reverse after discontinuing treatment. No need to freeze your sperm, but it might be a good idea to get a good baseline test done before you start treatment.

A few case reports have indicated that finasteride can affect sperm fertility, but it has always been shown to reverse after discontinuing treatment. No need to freeze your sperm, but it might be a good idea to get a good baseline test done before you start treatment.
    But with a lot of these reversible effects, isn't it true that they don''t say how long it took to reverse?

Why get a baseline test?

Can I ask what your situation is wuffer? You been taking fin/sides/hair?

Here is a case report examining 3 occurrences of infertility, believed to have resulted from finasteride treatment:

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rhc/v59n4/21389.pdf

I didn't read the entire thing, but the discussion indicates that after discontinuation of finasteride treatment, sperm returned to normal. I have not seen a single case report that indicates finasteride might cause permanent infertility.

Keep in mind that two of these men had a varicocele, and one was obese, both which could affect sperm quality. They may have already been prone to this issue, and its possible finasteride exacerbated these symptoms.

If you are concerned about your fertility, just to be safe it is a good idea to get baseline sperm quality tested. If you already have borderline fertility issues, finasteride may potentially make it worse. If after some time of using finasteride you have issues conceiving and see that your sperm quality is down, you know more or less for certain finasteride caused it and it wasnít pre-existing. It also helps you track if you recover while discontinuing finasteride.

Sure, Iíve been on for 1.5 years. I had a few minor issues for the first couple weeks (libido, testicle ache) but that all stabilized after the first month and I havenít had any sides since. I started as a NW3V, and resulted in a strong NW2 after about 6 months of use. A year later, results have held steady and my hair continues to thicken. All in all, I had a great experience and very strongly recommend it as a treatment.

Here is a case report examining 3 occurrences of infertility, believed to have resulted from finasteride treatment:

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rhc/v59n4/21389.pdf

I didn't read the entire thing, but the discussion indicates that after discontinuation of finasteride treatment, sperm returned to normal. I have not seen a single case report that indicates finasteride might cause permanent infertility.

Keep in mind that two of these men had a varicocele, and one was obese, both which could affect sperm quality. They may have already been prone to this issue, and its possible finasteride exacerbated these symptoms.

If you are concerned about your fertility, just to be safe it is a good idea to get baseline sperm quality tested. If you already have borderline fertility issues, finasteride may potentially make it worse. If after some time of using finasteride you have issues conceiving and see that your sperm quality is down, you know more or less for certain finasteride caused it and it wasnít pre-existing. It also helps you track if you recover while discontinuing finasteride.

Sure, Iíve been on for 1.5 years. I had a few minor issues for the first couple weeks (libido, testicle ache) but that all stabilized after the first month and I havenít had any sides since. I started as a NW3V, and resulted in a strong NW2 after about 6 months of use. A year later, results have held steady and my hair continues to thicken. All in all, I had a great experience and very strongly recommend it as a treatment.
    Thanks for such a helpful post.

Couple of other questions if you don't mind...you say your libido stabilised...do you mean that it just went back to how it was before? Have you got the 'watery semen' which I see everyone seem to mention? Lastly, did you get any blood tests or anything else done beforehand...if i go on fin then i want to get these done but need to be sure what I am doing.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the the pseudohermaphrodites have a 5AR type 2 deficiency only. Their Type 1 5AR is fully functional, I'm not sure about Type 3 though but I'd imagine that is also functional.