Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Propecia victim launches hunger strike at MERCK headquarters

Protester Suffering Erectile Dysfunction, Career Loss, Breakup with Fiancee, Requests Other Propecia Victims to Join Him In Protest.

WHITEHOUSE STATION, N.J., May 16, 2012

A 30-year-old Las Vegas man whose life was devastated by Propecia has launched a hunger
    strike at Merck & Co.'s corporate headquarters, in protest of the pharmaceutical giant's failure
    to acknowledge the hair-loss drug's role in causing a battery of persistent side effects, including sexual dysfunction.

Kevin Malley, a former public-health researcher from Las Vegas, who flew to New Jersey from
    his hometown on May 10, ceased eating on May 13 at 3 p.m., and plans to continue going
    without food indefinitely while camped across from One Merck Drive.

"I want Merck to see how their drug is destroying lives—and know that I'm just one of thousands
    of victims suffering across the globe," said Malley, who was prescribed Propecia last year by
    his doctor, and took the controversial medication for five months until suffering complete erectile
    dysfunction and loss of libido last winter.

"Even now, eight months after quitting Propecia, my sexual dysfunction has not resolved itself,"
    added Malley. "I also suffered severe memory loss and disorientation, which made it nearly
    impossible to concentrate on my work."

As a result of his physical and psychological ailments, Malley resigned from his research
    position late last year. He has since taken a job as a waiter at a Las Vegas restaurant to make
    ends meet.

Meanwhile, he and his fiancee broke off their engagement when she learned that his sexual
    side effects appear to be permanent. And while trying to come to grips with his condition, Malley
    came across Propeciahelp.com, a support group for men suffering from persistent finasteride
    side effects. There, he encountered many other men suffering similar fates long after quitting
    the drug.

Malley has reported his case to the Food and Drug Administration via its MedWatch program.
    And in January he called Merck's Adverse Reporting hotline (800-444-2080), but the company,
    which enjoys annual Propecia sales of more than $440 million, told him, "We don't have any
    answers for you right now," he said.

Known clinically as "Post-Finasteride Syndrome" (and so called for Propecia's generic name,
    finasteride), the condition is marked by sexual, neurological, hormonal and physical side
    effects—including impotence, Peyronie's disease, testosterone deficiency and depression—that
    do not resolve themselves after quitting Propecia, and may be irreversible.

On April 11, the Food and Drug Administration ordered Merck to revise the labeling on Propecia
    to reflect mounting evidence that the medication can cause continued sexual dysfunction long
    after patients have stopped taking it. Of the 421 Propecia-related sexual dysfunction cases
    the FDA reviewed in its probe, 14 percent lasted longer than three months after patients
    discontinued the drug.

On April 20, according to a report in The Examiner, the FDA began widening its probe into
    Propecia, stating that the agency "will continue to vigilantly evaluate and analyze all reports that
    are available on finasteride and take regulatory actions as warranted."

The FDA has also been actively encouraging victims to submit reports about "all adverse
    reactions potentially caused by finasteride [including] cases of patients who developed
    Peyronie’s [disease], anxiety, panic attacks, cognitive dysfunction, chronic insomnia, muscle
    wasting and other persistent side effects."

# # #
    MEDIA & GENERAL CONTACT:

Kevin Malley
    (702) 219-5632
    It's the bolt, it's the buzz, it's the sheer f*ck offness of it all

Timi

Re: PROPECIA VICTIM LAUNCHES HUNGER STRIKE AT MERCK USA HEADQUAR

i had the same Symptomes with Bloodpressure Drugs
    erektyle Dysfunktion-swelling and so on
    should i make a Hunger Strike for Novarties-Merck-Ratiopham-Hexal
    Roche-1A Pharma .................................................. ..............

and Hunger Strike for Jhonson and Jhonson Rogaine Foam
    swelling-Heartracing-Tinnitus-breathing

all Drugs Dangerous and makes ill

You should hunger strike for world peace Timi.

That' what I would do if I were you

Link....people please link these things

Media coverage from The Baltimore Examiner:

http://www.examiner.com/article/propeci ... adquarters

Good! Thanks, Mew!

Notice it's a legit prescription from a dr. Nothing can be disputed. I'm going to sticky this until this story ends.

Thx Cassin.

You might also consider moving this thread to Antiandrogens & Androgen Blockers forum: viewforum.php?f=61

This is a very interesting story, and I’m actually rooting for this guy. It takes some real balls to go out there and do something like this, especially when you have to tell the media that you are suffering from problems like impotence and such.

I honestly can't imagine Merck would concede and admit that their product causes the very issues they are currently defending against in court. I have no idea how they will respond to this (if they even do) but it's a very interesting story and I wish this guy all the best.

As the best possible outcome I can realistically imagine, hopefully Merck will offer some support in terms of funding some new studies on the drug and PFS in general, but I don't know how well these types of protests work. I bet everyone in the Merck building is talking about it right now though...

Monty if you don't object I'd like you to change your title to regular fonts. ALL CAPS annoys people and doesn't attract clicks. It's literally the exact opposite otherwise news sites would use it for their own content.

Quote Originally Posted by cassin
    Monty if you don't object I'd like you to change your title to regular fonts. ALL CAPS annoys people and doesn't attract clicks. It's literally the exact opposite otherwise news sites would use it for their own content.

No probs