Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

View Poll Results: Name brand or Generic?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Generic Fin

7 70.00%
  • Name Brand Fin

3 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many success stories are using name brand Finasteride?

I see all these stories about splitting the pills in quarters, like I'm doing, but no one really mentions if it's by Merk or not. I would love to know, as I started 1.25mg of generic Finasteride 3 days ago.
    My pharmacist said the ingredients are identical, then have had other people say that Propecia is better and prescribed by most HT clinics.

So my question is, how many of you are taking name brand propecia or proscar, versus generic?

Sorry if this thread isn't a success story, thanks!

This is what Im taking, prescribed by family doctor and from a reputable laboratory in the Toronto area. It costed around $30 for a 4 month supply (cut in quarters). Propecia 1mg would cost me over $100 a month, which is expensive and worth the price with some hard evidence to making a difference.

kehcorpz

Re: How many success stories are using name brand Finasteride?

I take Merck brand Proscar. Also in Ontario and I paid 213$ with taxes included for a year supply. That's 3 month Proscar supply but since I cut into 4 it's 1 year. Less than what people spend daily on coffee.

I always insist on Merck brand. Why you ask?

I take antidepressant medication and my psychiatrist insists I take brand name. He says that the FDA stress guidelines for generics are not as stringent as the brand itself. The generic drug confidence interval can be 80-125% when tested by FDA. This means you could be getting less of the drug or more of the drug. In cases of antipsychotics this can be the difference between getting a seizure.

You can read about it on this webpage.

http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... 63k7OtYvng

On top of this the fillers by some companies may not distribute the drug evenly. So when you slice the drug up into pieces it's not guaranteed to have an equal amount of drug unless it is scored.

You're basically paying 90 bucks for your year supply plus some taxes. so it's pretty much 100% more but I am loving the results I'm getting and will not go to generic.

I've always used generic and have never touched a grain of name brand Merck finasteride. My results have been wonderful. I would never use name brand when generic is so much cheaper. Under $10 for a legitimate prescription of generic fin, bought at a brick and mortar pharmacy. I cut the pills into 1/6 so 30 pills is a 6 month supply for me. I've also used internet purchased generics with the same great results. The picture you have posted is Teva brand finasteride which I believe is the first brand to be released as generic in the U.S. and has been used by members of this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS
    When I feel my chest through my shirt, ther is meat there, and plenty, even if I'm not flexing. That is what the women want.

teva is a israeli company so i think its a good company for generic drugs...

TEVA is a legit brand that pharmacies use. I used them for years.

A generic version is proven to be the exact same thing its mainly a question of did you get it legitimately like at a real pharmacy with a real prescription? There is no generic propecia right now only generic proscar in the US at least. So if you buy generic propecia from india somewhere I mean who really knows what your getting.

Mine was generic Proscar

I also live in toronto canada and I use the brand name propecia from merck. I also buy it from a reputable pharmacy. His pharmacy is located in the building where my family doctor is. its a professional medical building, all doctors. the pharmacy is downstairs. I used to pay 60 dollars for 28 pills, and now he charges me 45 bucks a month for 28 pills of the brand name propecia. I have been using it for 11.5 months now, with no successat at all (as you guys can tell from my previous threads). Funny thing is we don't have aggresive MPB in the family as well. not sure whats going on with me.

might be a slow responder or a non responder

Thank's for the responses everyone, and yes it's a lab in Israel.
    I'm going to continue for a month then switch to Proscar if I have no sides, but am still curious as how the poll will pan out.
    Currently zero side effects.

I use Propecia just because I am comfortable in know what's in it and that it comes from a place which will have strict quality control in place.

I won't buy from online pharmacies because I would never be sure of the actual quality.