Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

if i take propecia...

Will i just go bald eventually anyway?

I'm a bit of an 'all or nothing' person. I care just as much about what my hair looks like first thing in the morning as I do in the day. Right now I'm really unhappy with my thinning hairline in the day and struggle to imagine waking up next to a girlfriend feeling remotely attractive like this. So I'm tempted by propecia (despite hating the idea of the negative effects), but unless it is going to thicken up my hairline and the thinning behind it and keep it there then I'm going to be just as unhappy I think. I have two options, shave it and say goodbye to having hair for good, or take this drug - but by the sounds of it I will still go bald and even if it does work initially then I will still just have gto relive this pain in a few years when i start losing ground again.

Also...i'm worried about it damaging my hairline quicker.

Re: if i take propecia...

Propecia I heard a lot of this drug, why don't you try minox? But if you already choose propecia and only asking if you will use it or not then I say go for it. You need to give it a try. Let say you have a 50/50 chance but mostly you have 95 percent of success to regain your hair. But lets just say it is a 50/50 percent chances you should still try it. DO it or live forever without your hair.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

It hasn't been out long enough to determine that. There was a recent 10 yr study on fin but I can't recall what it said. I have read from people on here that have been on fin for around 7 yrs and they often say they're still going strong. If you're 20 and you want to know if the drug will still be working when you're 65 or 70, that's difficult to determine.

Before I started Fin I was miserable looking in the mirror at what was once my one great redeeming feature, I couldn't style it because my left temple was thinning drastically, I remember when I first noticed and I let out this huge gasp and I almost started to cry, no BS, when people say stuff like, "I don't wanna start fin because I heard about this, or that", well I can say before I stated fin, because hairloss killed my confidence I had zero libido, zero enthusiasm, I stopped going the gym, not once did I ever think about women, sex, jerking off, because I was so damn upset at seeing such visible thinning, something I didn't expect to have a problem with at 23.

Anyway, I said **** it, the benefits outweigh the risks ten fold in my case, I'm starting fin, I've been on it since the start of February, at 0.5mg dose and I use Nizoral 2% every 3-4 days, and I'm starting to see regrowth at my thinning temple already, touch wood I don't jinx myself, and loads more hairs across my hairline were I didn't even need them.

Right now I couldn't be happier, I'm back in the gym, back socializing, my confidence is back, almost, so I have no problem approaching women when I'm out and I don't feel like people are looking at my hairline anymore.

If I can feel like this for a few years, well, it's damn worth, who knows, I may be one of the 80% that lasts 5 years (maybe even 10?) with better than baseline results, and by then, I'm sure there will be a better treatment, not cure, on the market.

Me before Fin = zero libido, miserable, no confidence, social hermit

Me whilst taking fin = I feel like my old self, circa hairloss.

The question you have to ask yourself is, how much do I need my hair? Because you said you could just shave, well, that would never be an option for me, unfortunately.
    1.25mg of Proscar, (0.50mg of Finpecia from February 2012 to January 2013, then switched to 1.25mg of Proscar) 2% Nizoral Monday & Friday, morning multi-vitamin drink and 25mg of Zinc at night time.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishFella
    The question you have to ask yourself is, how much do I need my hair? Because you said you could just shave, well, that would never be an option for me, unfortunately.
    How come shaving would never be an option for you?

Tbh I wouldn't hold out too much hope of a better solution being available in 5 or even ten years time...fin has been around quite some time now and still there is nothing better despite people saying there would be a cure by now many years ago.

Thanks for your response though.

I have been through so many horrible emotions with this and yes i know what you mean about the loss of libido. For me, when i shaved my head to about a grade 3 then i felt most comfortable and therefore most confident...the reason being that i didn't have to see the mess that it was in every morning.

I'm not sure about fin...i will ponder it some more. If i take it then i will have blood tests done first (expensive unfortunately) but I want to be as safe as i possibly can. I may even do the hairdx test first too to check as far as possible if there would be benefit of taking fin.

Are you really as happy as you say in yourself now? I've followed some of your posts and if i remember you were trying/considering trying all sorts of things...topical stuff, unproven things RU, CB etc...are you genuinely doing well with your hair now with no side effects?

You sure you have the right person? I was never considering anything BUT fin, my hairloss is no where near advanced for the likes of Minox, RU, CB etc, it's just thinning along my left temple, or should I say was thinning?

Fin, at half the dose, along with Nizoral, is helping me, (I only started fin at the start of February so who knows how much more is to come) and to me it was a foregone conclusion as to whether to start fin or not, I know people, like yourself, are apprehensive, but I wasn't one bit, but that's just me.

You've already buzzed your hair before, to a grade 3, but I never would do that, (skull shape at the back is odd) when I get my hair cut I ask for a 3 on the back and sides and just a trim on top, infact, I style my hair just like my avatar but a couple of months ago that was nigh on impossible because of the thinning on one side.

It seems to me that you'll never take a chance on fin, which I can understand to a point, but, if like me you feel you "need" your hair, well you'd be on it by now.

Good luck with whatever you do, gho.
    1.25mg of Proscar, (0.50mg of Finpecia from February 2012 to January 2013, then switched to 1.25mg of Proscar) 2% Nizoral Monday & Friday, morning multi-vitamin drink and 25mg of Zinc at night time.

You sure you have the right person? I was never considering anything BUT fin, my hairloss is no where near advanced for the likes of Minox, RU, CB etc, it's just thinning along my left temple, or should I say was thinning?

Fin, at half the dose, along with Nizoral, is helping me, (I only started fin at the start of February so who knows how much more is to come) and to me it was a foregone conclusion as to whether to start fin or not, I know people, like yourself, are apprehensive, but I wasn't one bit, but that's just me.

You've already buzzed your hair before, to a grade 3, but I never would do that, (skull shape at the back is odd) when I get my hair cut I ask for a 3 on the back and sides and just a trim on top, infact, I style my hair just like my avatar but a couple of months ago that was nigh on impossible because of the thinning on one side.

It seems to me that you'll never take a chance on fin, which I can understand to a point, but, if like me you feel you "need" your hair, well you'd be on it by now.

Good luck with whatever you do, gho.
    Ok, thanks - yeah i think i was thinking of another guy called irish pride.

Can I ask if you have had any negative effects at all or noticeable physical changes other than hair? What will you do when fin loses effectiveness?

If I feel it's losing it's effectiveness I'll bump it up to 1mg as opposed to 0.5m, Rawtashk, a poster on here, was doing great for 3 years at half the dose and recently upped his dose to 1.25mg and he feels it's helping again.

I'm banking on it working, touch wood, for at least 5 years seeing as that was a long term study that had an 80% success rate over that period of time. And who knows if RU, CB and those other experimental topicals won't be on the market in 5 years or so?

I know Cosmo Pharma are looking to get CB on the market for acne and MPB.

Now, as for any other side effects, when I started I had a really HIGH libido and my semen was a bit more watery than before but after about 7-10 days everything went back to normal.

I feel no different besides much happier, and that's the truth, pal.

CB probably within 5 years in theory. I have high hopes for CB if its not too expensive it sounds like it actually blocks all androgens not just DHT and if it turns out powerful enough should theoretically stop MPB completely.
    We need a better way to prevent then propecia I think that much is clear. Propecia was a huge discovery though and opened all these other doors. I think the poor sales are part of why its been 20 years with nothing better.

If I feel it's losing it's effectiveness I'll bump it up to 1mg as opposed to 0.5m, Rawtashk, a poster on here, was doing great for 3 years at half the dose and recently upped his dose to 1.25mg and he feels it's helping again.

I'm banking on it working, touch wood, for at least 5 years seeing as that was a long term study that had an 80% success rate over that period of time. And who knows if RU, CB and those other experimental topicals won't be on the market in 5 years or so?

I know Cosmo Pharma are looking to get CB on the market for acne and MPB.

Now, as for any other side effects, when I started I had a really HIGH libido and my semen was a bit more watery than before but after about 7-10 days everything went back to normal.

I feel no different besides much happier, and that's the truth, pal.
    Thanks, that's useful to know and actually makes me feel a bit more willing to try it.

I'm at a point where i obsess about my hair mainly because I'm scared of what it might be like in future. I don't like how receded it looks in the mornings sometimes but i can keep it short and be happy enough...but I don't think it's aggressive as it's been receding for at least 3 years now...that's part of what stops me from risking fin...i always think, if it stays like this for another 5 years and only gets much worse when i'm 40 or so then maybe i'll be happy with that. It's not knowing that makes me obsess over it.