Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can nizoral and regaine be enough ?

Hello,

ive just started my journey on trying to stop loosing my hair, only started loosing it about 6 months ago,
    propecia or any other oral medication isnt an option for me, i have a real medication phobia !!

so ive started using nizoral shampoo and regaine foam, can anyone tell me if these two alone can be enough to combat hair loss or is medication really the only way ?
    thanks

Re: can nizoral and regaine be enough ?

its possible for those two to be enough. U might find these findings useful.

Ketoconazole Shampoo: Effect of Long-Term Use in Androgenic Alopecia

KCZ was tested in AGA because it is active against Malassezia spp. and Staphylococcus spp. which are part of the scalp microflora. It also shows some direct anti-inflammatory effect [7–9].

Results: Hair density and size and proportion of anagen follicles were improved almost similarly by both KCZ and 2% minoxidil regimens. The sebum casual level appeared to be decreased by KCZ.
    Conclusion: Comparative data suggest that there may be a significant action of KCZ upon the course of androgenic alopecia and that Malassezia spp. may play a role in the inflammatory reaction. The clinical significance of the results awaits further controlled study in a larger group.

A randomized clinical trial of 5% topical minoxidil versus 2% topical minoxidil and placebo in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in men

The mechanism by which topical minoxidil in- duces hair growth in AGA has not been fully char- acterized. Topical minoxidil increases hair density either by induction of anagen or an increase in anagen duration. Hair diameter is also increased by topical minoxidil.9,10 The net result is reversal of the miniaturization process of AGA and/or slowing the progression of hair loss.

I dont like to rain on parades, but my personal opinion is you will most likely slowly keep losing it long term using those if you skip propecia. Those will certainly help, but I think propecia is really the main thing that makes the big difference. Trust me I am in same boat as you I wish I could avoid taking medication but right now its the only real option.

Antman, what are your sources for that?? I don't trust that nizoral works as good as people on here say it does. There was only 1 brief study on nizoral doing anything for hairloss.

I've repeatedly been told by doctors and pharmacists that nizoral can make it worse since it's a shampoo for dandruff and that it's not aimed at helping hairloss.

There have been a few crappy studies. Nothing conclusive can be drawn.

Ketoconazole Shampoo: Effect of Long-Term Use in Androgenic Alopecia
    Dermatology 1998;196:474–477
    C. Piérard-Franchimont a P. De Donckerb G. Cauwenbergh c G.E. Piérarda
    Department of Dermatopathology, University of Liège, and b Janssen Research Foundation, Beerse, Belgium; c Johnson and Johnson Research and
    Development, Skillman, N.J., USA

I always use http://scholar.google.com.au/ at an education institution because they buy the rights to view the whole document.

Here’s another one.

Ketocazole as an adjunct to finasteride in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in men
    B.S. Hugo Perez

Ketoconazole
    Ketoconazole is an imidazole broad-spectrum anti- fungal and steroid biosynthesis inhibitor [20,21]. Ketoconazole in high doses (400 mg TID) blocks both testicular and adrenal androgen biosynthesis [22–24]

Although the effects of ketoconazole on 5a-R have been documented, the authors of the study concluded that the benefits were attributed to its effects on fungal scalp infections in genetically predisposed individuals. They argued that AGA has a multifactorial pathogenesis with an inflammatory reaction caused by a Malassezia fungal infection. It was concluded that ketoconazole was therapeutic by reducing inflammation through its anti-inflammatory properties and by clearing the adjacent fungal infection.

Discussion
    Clinical trials are needed to evaluate the effectiveness of ketoconazole shampoo in the treatment of AGA. These trials should attempt to elucidate the method of action responsible for the results. Both the inflammation and the DHT path-way need to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by rtc84
    Antman, what are your sources for that?? I don't trust that nizoral works as good as people on here say it does. There was only 1 brief study on nizoral doing anything for hairloss.

I've repeatedly been told by doctors and pharmacists that nizoral can make it worse since it's a shampoo for dandruff and that it's not aimed at helping hairloss.
    Well they're wrong. Ketoconazole is a known anti-androgen, albeit very mild, it can cause hairloss through an adverse reaction, but it's well worth using it if you can tolerate it.
    1.25mg of Proscar, (0.50mg of Finpecia from February 2012 to January 2013, then switched to 1.25mg of Proscar) 2% Nizoral Monday & Friday, morning multi-vitamin drink and 25mg of Zinc at night time.

Tolerate it? Are there adverse reactions? What would there be to tolerate? Genuinely curious.

maybe not the shampoo but if you can source the cream youd be in a better position.

as far as im aware almost all of the successful studies on niz were from using the cream daily.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum ... nswer.html

according to this study these guys were pretty much cured by using the cream after showering every day.

it all has to be bollocks though or else we'd all be doing it already

You would call those before/after pictures cured? I think those guys still look like they are majorly balding.

well the trend seems to only be going one way with each, for somebody to be balding they need to be losing hair not growing it back