Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting Propecia & Rogaine at age 38

I thought I would never go bald because I've had a thick head of hair for most of my life.

Around 4years ago (around 34-35) I started to notice some thinning on my crown but it wasn't casually noticeable and I assumed it was just age and not necessarily balding.

Anyway in 2009, on my bro's recommendation, I decided to try propecia (prescribed by my doc) but quit after a week after reading some horror stories online. Since then I have left it for years but in the last 8-10 months my crown has gotten significantly worse.

So today I'm starting Propecia 1mg and Rogaine foam extra strength.

Attached are two pics - one showing the back of my head when i use a comb to brush my hair back over my crown and one showing my crown when I muss up my hair a little to show the thinning area.

I wonder if there are any other people on this forum that have had similar thinning at around my age.

One thing I did notice over the last 2-3 years is that my scalp has been itchier in that area compared to my younger days, and also more sensitive - eg., sometimes it kind of hurts a little if I sleep on my back and the hair in that area is turned a particular way, etc.

I'd be ok with the amount of thinning I have right now if it stays like this, but I'd rather get on and do something about it now in case it gets worse. Do people get significantly balder with this kind of hair at 38 and a bit?

Any feedback welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Starting Propecia & Rogaine at age 38

Well, I'm 38, but you have way more hair than I do. Propecia will probably help you with that thinning. I just started taking finasteride myself a few days ago. I'm using 5% minox as well.

If that is where your hair loss is at your age, I would wager you are likely to keep a large bulk of your hair naturally over the course of your life.
    My Story

Regimen:
    1.25 mg fincar (daily) 5% generic Minox foam (2X daily), 1% Nizoral shampoo (2X week), generic dandruff shampoo (other days)

Yeah I'd just take fin for now, you still have pretty thick hair. Down the line if your lose a bit more then you can add rogaine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    You have lots of hair, but it is thinning abit at the back. I would only use fin in your situation.

Where exactly is his hair thinning? It looks pretty thick overall to me. Especially for a 38 year old.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll probably just use the rogaine once a day (with propecia) instead of twice and see how that goes.

Kirby

Dude, I don't think you need minox. Your hair looks so dense, fin alone should be enough.

I read online in a couple of places that using both minoxidil and fin together is most effective, because they affect you differently (or target different things, one being hormonal, etc., whatever).

That's why I thought I'd use them both.

But perhaps I should just stick to propecia for now and if it is effective, then I can just not bother using rogaine.

I think the reasoning behind using both was because I thought I'd be more likely to see some re-growth instead of just preventing further loss.

The best reason to just start Propecia only is to see if it actually is beneficial. If you use both at the same time you will not know which one is more helpful for you. You can always add minoxidil in about 8 months. Trust me using topicals is a big pain. Popping a pill is so much easier. I wish I would have started with Propecia first without minoxidil to see if it really works for me.
    House, MD: "See, this is why I don't waste money on shrinks, cause you give me all this great insight for free."

Yeah, I think I'll just go ahead with fin.

Using the rogaine extra strength foam has irritated my scalp anyway.

Use nizerol Shampoo to help control the inflammation and take fin. Skip Rogaine you don't need it.