Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Northman: 3 months in (39 years old)

Trying to gather information and planning to track my progress as I begin to try and do something about my hair loss.

I'm 38 years old and first started noticing that I was losing my hair when I was about 19. I've lost most of my frontal hairline and have thinning throughout the upper scalp with more in the back, but no bald spots there yet. Some coverage everywhere back of about halfway on my head. For the last two years I have considered myself functionally bald and essentially keep my head cropped down to 1/4" to 1/8".

I just started applying minoxodil 5% yesterday and have some finasteride en route. I plan to take 1.25 dose daily once I have the meds.

I'll be trying to get some pictures added as I am having a hard time really evaluating my loss, and I want to have a good baseline for how my hair MAY improve. I'm guessing I'm closest to a 4A on the Norwood scale and figure I'm destined for a 5a or 6 without treatment.

Surgery for me is cost prohibitive and have other concerns with it.

Add: I've added some photos. Fresh 1/4 inch hair cut this morning.

My best hope is that I could somehow get back to that 2005-6 range, but we shall see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Story

Regimen:
    1.25 mg fincar (daily) 5% generic Minox foam (2X daily), 1% Nizoral shampoo (2X week), generic dandruff shampoo (other days)

Re: Northman starts tracking (38 years old)

Wow to start losing at 19 and still have a decent amount of hair 20 years later is great. I think your gonna have some awesome results especially with rogaine/fin together.

I started losing at 19/20 too and if I hadn't got on treatments I would be NW6 bald right now three years later.

Good luck and keep us updated.

I briefly tried a couple of things over the years but never stuck with anything for any duration either due to cost or inconvenience. I took propecia once before, 10 years ago, for two months. I used minoxidil briefly and Nioxin hair products probably the longest, but never really felt like they did anything at all, I used Nioxin perhaps 2 years intermittently over the last 10 years. My loss has been relatively gradual and as recently as 2008 I had viable shoulder length hair. There is a reasonable distribution of hair still middle/crown and I am hoping to fill that all in better.

I have fine, moderately oily hair that was never very thick, common for lighter haired people I think.
    My Story

Regimen:
    1.25 mg fincar (daily) 5% generic Minox foam (2X daily), 1% Nizoral shampoo (2X week), generic dandruff shampoo (other days)

I've also attached a better Day1 Crown picture.
    My Story

Regimen:

So, is anyone out there that is a similar age category or with similar loss that has experienced good results? I've been pouring through other write ups and success stories, but most of the ones I am seeing are for guys much younger or with much less hair loss. Please post pics or links to your story if so. Thanks!

I guess I'd categorize myself with significant temple loss and fairly advanced diffuse thinning.
    My Story

Regimen:

4 days into the minoxidil with no side effects. Didn't expect any. Getting some of the shampoo today and hope to have the finasteride in hand soon. I've learned something I didn't know before when I briefly tried propecia. I used it for two months and quit for two reasons. It was expensive and I could swear my hair had actually started getting worse. I had never heard to expect a shed phase. It actually makes me hopeful that it was working then, and will work now.
    My Story

Regimen:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman
    It was expensive and I could swear my hair had actually started getting worse.
    probably a shed.... If you just stick to it for 12+ months, I'm sure you would get great results

Maybe I'm just hoping but I seem to be reading that folks that have had long term slower hair loss seem to respond well to treatment. I know that when I look very closely at my scalp I see tons of the tiny semi-dormant hairs. Anyone have any evidence or studies pointing to a relationship between regrowth response and prior rate of loss?
    My Story

Regimen:

Hey Northman - I'm in a fairly similar situation to you: fairly slow progressing pattern loss which started in my early 20s (in my early forties now) but recently noticing some accelerated loss in the crown / vertex (along with receding hairline).

Didn't take any action because of denial/worries about drug side effects etc. and I regret at least not trying something out sooner.

I just ordered some generic finasteride so unfortunately I don't have any info for you about long term slower loss and how those may respond to minox/finast but hopefully we both get some results/success.

I've read through your whole thread Captain Combover. I'm hoping the combination of treatments I'll be using will do some work for me. I am ok with the majority of the temple loss. I've had much of that for years so if I can thicken it up in there and then add density all the through the mid and crown I would be very happy. Based on what I see for my thinning, I believe I have a moderately good size donor area should I ever decide to change and go that route. Still waiting for my finasteride to arrive in the mail. 1 week in to the 5% minox, and eyeballing those miscroscopic hairs daily.

I have attached some pictures with some mock up hairlines. In the front view, in red, I show what I hope to restore to some extent. In black, I have drawn where my hairline started its adult life.

The next one shows my hair as:

red - final untreated destination (NW6?)
    blue - existing dying front
    green - hopes for restored front (thickening throughout)
    black - Fair weather traitors that left me long ago.
    My Story

Regimen: