Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Best Topical DHT blocker?

So I'm going to the doc for the third time to get a explanation for my thinning. I honestly dont notice hairloss, hardly even from washing it, but I just dont seem to be growing it back everywhere it used to. I have a diffused thinning all over the head even hairline, though it hasnt moved back.

I'm going to try inquiring if I should take propecia or not, as well as minoxidil(which ive been itching to get on, but ain't sure yet). However, if my doc does not think I should take fin, I will subsequently ask for another way to block dht.

Therefore I wanted to know, which topical compound is best for blocking DHT just in the scalp? I am already using Niz 2% twice weekly and 320mg saw daily, I seriously think its reduced shedding. Ive been on it for just nearly 3 months.

Should I go with Azelaic, Spiro or is there something else more potent for the scalp that i can get off prescription.

Thanks.

Re: Best Topical DHT blocker?

I saw a topic on this forum, which had this link. Learned a lot.

http://www.hairlossfromsteroids.com/Pro ... -Work.html

some Minoxidil products contain Azelaic acid. search amazon.com and you will see. Hope this helps. I am currently using min 5% & niz 1% been thinking of adding azelaic or sypro to the mix.

What kind of balding or hairloss pattern are you undergoing? And is Azelaic the best solution for topicals in terms of blocking dht? I've seen and read alot about the different types, but just wanted some affirmation.

Also just read Azelaic Acid products are OTC in Canada, i'll have an eye out at pharamacy's.

There's no scientific evidence that topical azelaic acid has any effect as a 5a-reductase inhibitor. In other words, there's no evidence that it has any effect on DHT.
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.

Is such a statement any different for Spiro cream?

Spiro is a proven antiandrogen.

EDIT: Bryan do you know of an MPB spiro study, I can only find acne ones (and the most prominent study seems to use only 6 participants)?

Anyway....

It is generally acknowledged that it is a very weak topical antiandrogen.

Also no evidence to back up the quality and efficacy of spiro creams from the suppliers you can get it from.

There are also zero 'Success Stories' from anyone using Spiro alone.

I wouldn't waste your cash!

Quote Originally Posted by hairhoper
    EDIT: Bryan do you know of an MPB spiro study, I can only find acne ones (and the most prominent study seems to use only 6 participants)?
    Sure. Haven't you and I already discussed the Italian study that used topical spiro to treat MPB?

Quote Originally Posted by hairhoper
    Anyway....

It is generally acknowledged that it is a very weak topical antiandrogen.
    That seems to be the general consensus of topical spiro for MPB on hairloss sites, but I honestly don't know how much truth there is to that. There just aren't enough studies with topical spiro to let us make direct comparisons with other known treatments, so this question seems to be a bit of a mystery to me.

Originally posted by Bryan

That seems to be the general consensus of topical spiro for MPB on hairloss sites, but I honestly don't know how much truth there is to that. There just aren't enough studies with topical spiro to let us make direct comparisons with other known treatments, so this question seems to be a bit of a mystery to me.
    Exactly right ! So many people create threads about topical spiro giving poor results, yet you question their integrity due to insufficient scientific studies BUT HAVE THE DAMN CHEEK To spam a product called proxiphen that as absolutely no scientific evidence to prove the stuff does sod all. You are one HELL OF A TWAT

Your arguement against Bryan is not neccesary in my thread, atleast since it does not concern me. Bryan do you have any suggestion for someone that lost hair due to tieing it for a long periods of time in braids. I seem to have just general thinning all over the head, not even really patterned. It started about a year ago, and I'm at less density now, but it maintained.

Is my best option Propecia or should I go for Minox? Or is it perhaps not even androgen related that I could try Spiro.

The doc told me it was dermatitis, but quite frankly he must've been real low in knowledge for hair because he even said the hormone DHT has no relation to hairloss. /facepalm, time to go to another one.