Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

The Sebaceous Glands Theory

Hi every body,

I have been reading for long time about hair loss and tried to link information together and I have started to believe that hair loss (mpb and others) is all about the Sebaceous Glands.

1- If you want to have healthy hair, the glands must work in their normal way

2- We start loosing hair at 14 or 15 (increase of testosterone) beacuse our bodies start to produce the "X-Factor" that affect/infect how glands work or their size or the sebum they produce or ....etc

3- The genetic part of mpb is about producing more of the X-Factor not about different structure of any body part including the glands themselves

4- The glands located at the top of the head are different (not necessary in structure but maybe there is a reason that they receive the X-Factor, or they changed their behaviours at some point for some reasons.. ) than the back of the head.

5- People suffering mpb have similar glands (top or back) similar to healthy people who have full hair.

6- The proof of point 5, There are many examples of permanent and temporary hair loss for men not suffering mpb like taking Accunate (shrinks the glands), bodybuilding, etc....

7- The x-Factor could be indeed prostaglandin since body-builders consume more of them to grow muscles ..

8- To treat hair loss we need to start from the hair and the head not from the balls. Fin looks like reducing the X-Factor but in the wrong way. The X-factor could be good for your body and we just need to reduce it around the glands

9- Fin alone does not regrow hair and that's why we use minox. Yes we don't know how minox works but there are studies about the Tretinoin and how they work. It is believed that Tretinoin penetrate through the glands and regulate them and that's could be why people can regrow some hair from using retinol and similar Tretinoin according to a study published 1986.

10- In some cases, if glands are infected they can't regulate themselves. That's normal in many sebaceous glands diseases. That's why fin may not regrow hair alone (reducing the x-factor)

11- Regulating the glands does not mean stopping them from producing sebum. Sebum is good for your hair at normal level

12- More production of sebum may contains (or leads to ) bacteria that accelerate hair loss (Niz shampoo helps). On the other side, shrinking the glands to stop producing sebum result in hair loss as well (Accunate)

13- Men loose hair more when they get older (lower testosterone ). I read one study that the glands get bigger when we get older (abnormal state again)

14- There could be more than one X-Factor. The first one result in over-production of the glands and the other one result in shrinking the glands (both still abnormal) and that's why we read (if true, I don't know) that there are men with dry scalp suffer mpb.

15- Still most of men with mpb have oily scalp and dandruff. I don't think we were born with dandruff in our head or oily scalp before the age of 14.

16- Usually HT doctors makes sure that the (healthy) glands are attached to the follicle when they perform HT operations!!

I believe that we can maintain/regrow some hair back by regulating how the glands works and cleaning the X-Factor around them without risking and should not be impossible or difficult to treat mpb. Stop talking about genetic or any abstract answer. I know and we all know it is genetic but what the heck, there is a science behind genetic issues

This makes me believe that Acne medicine creams or oral may help your hair if taken at right dosage. Also, any kind of skin cream that regulate the glands should help you hair. Event Spiro has simialr effect of the glands and that's way it can regrow your hair (insane solution IMO).

acne treatments list:

Azelaic Acid, Tretinoin , Benzoyl Peroxide Base , Isotretinoin , Clindamycin Base, Erythromycin , and Metronidazole

PGD2 is not a new discovery, if it is behind hair loss why it has been ignored?!! There is a study about PGD2 and it's effect on the glands..

I don't claim at any point I am right, just my 2 cents about hair loss (I don't have medicine degree and my English is not native so maybe I have misunderstood here or there )

dermaroller (120 needles 1.5mm) once a week + minox

Re: The Sebaceous Glands Theory

It's time some reflection should be given to how the latest Cotzarelis study relates to what we know about hair loss, and how the current picture we can have about the hairloss process. I haven't seen this much on this forum so far.

I don't think acting on sebaceous glands is the way to go.

All internals.

Morning:
    Aged Garlic Extract x 1

Night:
    Turmeric x 1
    Resveratrol x 1
    Ginkgo Biloba x 1
    Aged Garlic Extract x 1
    Hair, skin and nails tab (Blackmores) x 1
    Silica x 1

This is the problem there seems to be so little research into MPB because there is no money to be made, so best people can do is theorize.

They need to pump billions into trying to understand and work out what causes MPB not just look for a magic cure.

They also need to stop comparing what is the difference between someone with a full head of hair and someone that has MPB. They should be doing more research into what people with MPB have in common.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16297176
    Sebaceous glands and the prostaglandin pathway--key stones of an exciting mosaic.
    We can read the full 2005 study

Dr. Zouboulis is a great investigator in sebaceous gland

Also you can be interested in
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18079744
    Phylogeny of the hair follicle: the sebogenic hypothesis.

Possibly hair shaft is more recent than sebaceous gland.

@odalbak
    Cotzarelis study is NOT new. There are similar studies about pgd2 since 2007.

@zeroes
    I agree about the fund issue. On other side, a magic ""cheap"" cure for hair loss issue is going to have bad impact on big hair industry. All kind of hair treatment and care products, HT surgeries, snake oils, and cosmetic solutions are going to collapse.

I don't say there is a conspiracy, but no one care. Minox and Fin were discovered by coincidence.

@armandein

I have read the study u posted before. It shows a relation between pgd2 and glands. I don't understand it fully but for me is just another hint.

I believe, If the glands feeds the shaft with the "right" sebum, the shaft will be healthy..otherwise it would fall.

Glands take care of your hair..it is like the food of the hair.

I am with you about the "right" sebum, but sebum is sebum only that this sebum, passing the time, is oxidized being "bad" sebum.

I am also a firm believer in the sebaceous gland theory. Has anyone taken low-dose accutane with propecia. I am aware of accutane causing hairloss in some users but Im talking low-dose.

Quote Originally Posted by shivers20
    I am also a firm believer in the sebaceous gland theory. Has anyone taken low-dose accutane with propecia. I am aware of accutane causing hairloss in some users but Im talking low-dose.
    I remember few years ago the guy who first talked about the low dose of accutane theory. He received some harsh replies forced him to quit the forums and not to report back.

Forums made to help each other not vice versa.

I believe it is difficult to know out if low-dose of accutane works with propecia.

But since Minox dries your scalp, then it must be doing something to the glands. Yet, we still don't know how minox works!.

Maybe Minox + low dose of accutane works similar to Minox and fin. I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by shivers20
    Do you use low-dose of accutane topically?