Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

Receding Hairline Hairstyles

Hi, I'm new here so I hope the following post would serve as an introductory post as well:

Ok, so when I was a teen I had my hair long, then I started losing my hair so a point came that I shaved them all of, but I was never satisfied with the look, I actually thought (and still think) that the shaved look is far from flattering for my headshape. So since then what I do was/is to keep them too short, it's better (at least to my eyes) than being completely shaved yet honestly it was the longer hair that suited me best.

So my question is this: Obviously I cannot have my hair as long as when I was a teen but I do want to have it as long as possible. Is there any haircut/hairstyle which is suited for receding hairlines yet it's not of the "shaved" or "too short" variant? I'm sorry to be asking this but I'm fashion-impaired. And in general what your suggestion with receding hairlines, what did you guys do?

Oh Btw, I'm a Norwood 3, mid-20s. I'm using minoxidil twice a day so I have kept my hair count quite high to the places I still have hair. In fact my hair looks close to that: http://0.tqn.com/d/menshair/1/7/e/8/-/-/short05.jpg (a random pic found on the net), when cropped low, maybe I have a bit more and a bit higher hair count (but apart from that it's pretty spot on).

Thanks

Nothing.

Re: Receding Hairline Hairstyles

If you have a small forehead by all means experiment with spiking it up, slick back look etc... but if you have a big forehead, I'd seriously recommend that you grow your remaining fringe out longer, while also keeping your hair shorter at the sides and back...

As a NW3 with big forehead and slightly off headshape, I've found this to be by far the best style for me, all those other ultra trendy styles just accentuate my forehead, hairline and irregular headshape.
    Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    ha,yes these females(I use the term loosely) dont want too be straddled by some spiky-haired,pretty boy,they want too be abused,what better man,than a big,bald,monster.It feels damn good at the time,but when I have emptied my tea-bags,and back in the dark room I inhabit,then the shame,guilt,and emptiness begins.

I think it is important to remember you cannot hide your hairline. I like to keep my hair short and clean. If you still have thick hair you can take advantage of that

Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldAnderson
    I think it is important to remember you cannot hide your hairline. I like to keep my hair short and clean. If you still have thick hair you can take advantage of that
    I get you, but short and clean doesn't look so great if all you've got at the front is a massive irregular shaped forehead on show.

Also, I agree you can't hide the hairline, but you can however, with the right haircut, minimise the visual effect of your recession, without making the hair look like some dodgy combover.

You need a good hairdresser for this though, not some barbershop tool who just wants to get you in and out the door in 5minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    ha,yes these females(I use the term loosely) dont want too be straddled by some spiky-haired,pretty boy,they want too be abused,what better man,than a big,bald,monster.It feels damn good at the time,but when I have emptied my tea-bags,and back in the dark room I inhabit,then the shame,guilt,and emptiness begins.

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldAnderson
    I do not wish to hide the hairline or anything, at best it won't look better, at worse it will look like a clumsy combover. Instead I want to revert to a sense of fullness in my head, for too long my head feels empty due to how close I cut my hair and I want to revert to that prior condition that IMO looked best to me.

Granted it won't be the same as it once was, but thankfully I kept quite a lot of my hair count (but sadly not the same hair quality) so I want to make use of it, so I'd be happy to know of any haircuts (from those who are receding) which is not strictly low-crop...

And yes I agree with the guy above, a bad skull shape and a huge forehead can really mess up the shaved look. If only I could pull it I would never look back, I wouldn't even care for any hairloss medication... but I'm not, which is why I'm here and I'm asking for opinions.

I think you can hide it. Aslong as your not a diffuser.

^ I stand corrected... nice 1 lol

And yeah a good barber helps I agree.