Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

Thumbs up A few questions on where to go next

Hi all, I have a few questions regarding my receding frontal hairline, and if it's ok was hoping to hear a few opinions on what to try next.

My hairline actually began to recede about 8 years ago in 2004 when I was 22, information on hair loss was fairly sparse at the time, but something lead me to start taking 1mg of Proscar per day. This seemed to be ok, and for the next few years I had no noticeable adverse symptoms, my hairline didn't budge, and I was quit happy. Largely I took the pills and didn't think twice about it.

After a while though, I did begin to worry about the long term effects ingesting the drug might have on my body. So I started taking it in progressively smaller doses. By 2011 I was taking no more than 0.25g of Proscar every 2 to 3 days, and again my hairline held strong. So eventually I started to wonder if Proscar was even making any difference, and in September 2011 stopped taking it completely.

Fast forward to now, and since about a month ago there has been noticeable thinning and receding of the hair above my temples. I know it's my own stupid fault that it happened, but I really don't wish for it to get any worse. I suppose at the very least I now know that finasteride based drugs definitely work to prevent my hair loss.

But before I go any further with other hair loss drugs, I was hoping someone might be able to help me with my queries:

1. Given that Proscar was definitely working for me, would anyone recommend that I do go with the Regaine routine, and how long initially as a 'test' phase?

2. Should I have any expectation the Regaine could help to revitalise the recently lost hair?

3. I believe the active ingredient in the Nizoral shampoo is the same as that in Proscar, and since my main concern with taking the pills was the long term effects it might have on my body, I thought perhaps the shampoo would be a good substitute, especially as I was taking the pills in very small doses with the active ingredient still working ok. Does anyone have any comments to offer on this theory?

Sorry it's a bit wordy, I tried to keep it as concise as possible!

Re: A few questions on where to go next

oh ok, I though they were the same.

Well I've decided to go back on the finasteride for the time being, at least in the short term.

Do you know whether for the Nizoral shampoo, if some regrowth occurs then do you need to continue to use it to prevent the regrown hair from falling out?

ok then. But if Nizoral doesn't contribute to hair growth, and doesn't block DHT, what is it so often used for exactly? As I've seen a lot of conflicting information regarding it's usefulness.

It supposedly does block DHT and maybe testosterone too. The hope is that it does contribute to hair growth, but on it's own, it is pretty weak and will likely only have a mild effect on slowing hair loss.

The active ingredient in Nizoral is believed to be a very mild anti-androgen. It is very mild though and definitely should not be counted on by itself to help you even maintain what you have. Personally I use nizoral because I have i have seborrhoeic dermatitis on my hairline, which i believe makes my hairloss worse and Nizoral is the only thing that completely clears it up. I've also found that nizoral, out of all the other shampoos, does the best job of keeping my scalp itch free and less oily.

cool thanks for the info guys really appreciate it!

If it's alright I have one other question that someone might be able to offer some advice on. Would it be reasonably ok to hold out on the Rogaine foam for say 6 to 8 weeks to see if the finasteride seems to prevent any further loss?

I ask because if my hairline were to stay as it is right now, then I wouldn't be too concerned about using the foam to try and regaine what I've just lost at the temples since I was last on finasteride, as to the casual observer it looks the about same.

why not just try the fin again and see if it regrows some hair - or thickens any weak vellus hairs that are left? Then if that doesn't work you can always try the minox later...you want to know what is actually doing the job and minox is a pain - once you are using it then you're on it forever and it possibly made my hair worse rather than better.

btw did you notice any side effects at all from the fin? did you have lower libido, erection problems or anything? something must have made you stop?

I didn't notice that it had any side effects on me, but after being on it for 7 years it was mainly 'fear of the unknown' that made me want to stop taking it.

But as you say I'll give the fin another try for for 6 to 8 weeks, and then maybe from there minoxidil if the hair loss gets worse!