Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

kc444's story (24/advanced diffuse) 4 month update

MONTH 4 UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE

Hello,
    I'm 24, going on 25. I wasn't going to post my story, but I think I owe it to this forum because these stories are what made me finally decide to go on treatments. I never went on anything consistently before this because I was afraid of fin's side effects and didn't feel it was worth trying anything else without fin. I started noticing shedding in the shower at 16-17 and it went downhill from there. I thought I would just accept losing all of my hair, but then I realized that it was getting really depressing waking up every day only to have less hair. I wish I started treating it sooner, but oh well.

Treatments:
    1mg finasteride daily
    2mL/full cap of minoxidil (foam in the morning, liquid at night)
    Nizoral 1% every other day
    3000mcg Biotin (started a week ago)

I put 2.5-3 months into the title because I started fin on 1/1/2012 and minoxidil on 1/16/2012. Since minoxidil typically shows its effects sooner, I assume that most of the effect that I've seen so far has been due to that. I began using Nizoral on 1/26/2012. I started taking Biotin because the new hairs growing in are mostly still about 1/5 of the length of my normal hair and I hope to grow it out long enough to get it cut again around this time next month so that they are equal length. I may add MSM soon. I think this will show an even greater improvement, so expect more pics in a month or so.

As far as side effects... from fin, I thought that I was getting a bit of gyno, so I began taking .25mg of Arimidex every other day. I've always had a little bit of gyno from puberty. It may have been because I began eating more than usual and gaining weight, so I may go off of it soon to see how that works out because I started losing weight again. Pretty sure it was the fin though. My sex drive was bad before and it's still about the same. Arimidex may have helped a bit. Semen quality is fine.

When I started, I could rub my hand across my head in certain spots and feel my smooth scalp. About a month ago, I realized that it was no longer smooth.. there was hair growing there. I also noticed a lot of new hairs coming in in the frontal region, which is the only area I can really inspect closely in the mirror. As you can see in the pictures, my hair line was not that bad relative to the diffuse thinning before I started, but there is a lot of new hair growing there, which is nice. Along the hair line is where its been most effective apparently, looking at the pictures.

I tried to get pictures that are as representative as possible, hopefully in similar lighting and angles. Hair length should be the same. When I took them today, I wasn't expecting that much honestly, but I was pleasantly surprised and apparently didn't realize how bad it is was before. Both pictures were taken after a shower after towel drying my hair completely.

And now.. the moment you've all been waiting for. Pictures on the left were taken right after started Propecia and the right, today. I didn't take any pictures of the vertex because I didn't want to look at it, but I don't think its any worse than the rest of my head.

Re: kc444's story (24/advanced diffuse) 2.5-3 month pics

definite improvement.... you're a good responder to finasteride. Too bad that you didn't start treating it earlier...

Still seeing improvements I think. It's hard to tell by looking in the mirror. One question. I've seen others talking talk about losing hair from their sideburn area (around the ears). I definitely have this. Has anyone noticed regrowth in this area on Propecia? Should I apply minoxidil to it?

Also, part of the reason I didn't go on it earlier was because I'd always see people on other websites saying things like, "Propecia will only maintain the hair the have. You need a transplant to get more hair." I've since realized that they were just promoting HT doctors. It's a shame these sites exist.

Well, the MSM/Biotin has been making my hair grow really quickly so I was going to wait until I got a haircut this week to post again, but I got bored today and the results are pretty astounding so far.

Month 4 on fin, 3.5 on minoxidil

No scalp showing by month 6?

TravisB

Re: kc444's story (24/advanced diffuse) 4 month update

Whoa man, that's definitely a success.

The minoxidil is working well for you.

Thanks for the support

Here are some more post haircut pictures (god it looked terrible before)

Overall, it's worked much better than I thought it would.

That's INCREDIBLE. Your photos give me much hope. Thanks for sharing.

damn. have you tried concealers like toppik? with a bit of that in you could probably look like a thick NW1 with no loss, especially with all of that good regrowth you have had
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS
    If 30 year olds are too boring for you, you should get some 20 year old friends. They are typically short on cash, but if you supply the cash for spray paint, they'll teach you how to tag up the town with them at night, that or just spray it into a bag and get high. That will make you the coolest 30 year old they know.

I've looked into it, but I think I'd be worried about missing a spot one day or running out, etc. We'll see where I'm at in a couple of months.