Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

6.5 months on Proscar

Guys,
    It has been 6.5 months since I started taking Proscar (1/4 daily)

Some of you may have read some older posts I posted a while ago about my hair shedding for a long time because of the Proscar !!!
    My hair started to shed 3-4 weeks into treatment, and this lasted until 1 week ago when it suddenly STOPPED ...

3-4 weeks into treatment I started to shed +-150 hairs easily daily, where before treatment that would just have been max 50 hairs a day.

In these 6.5 months I have to say that my hair hasn't gone backwards a lot, I still have a good density on top. But my temples have gone back a bit and my hairline is a little bit worse compared to 6 months ago.
    (Actually, I think my temples may have receded a bit more because I use minox 2x daily ONLY on my temples...)

I thank god that the shedding has finally stopped now. I only lose max 5 hairs when showering! But I am so scared that Proscar won't regrow anything and that my hairline will only get worse in time.

I have a box of AVODART capsules and now I AM SERIOUSLY considering adding 1 or 2 AVODART capsules/weekly to my regime in the hope of restoring my hairline/ temples a bit. (i think i have an aggressive form of MPB, because my temples started receeding when I was 17-18 years old)

WAHT DO YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO ? Is there any hope for me on Proscar, or should I add Avdodart to my regime ?

PLEASE GUYS help me with this 1 ! I'm really stressing for 6 months straigt now because Proscar hasn't done anything, accept give me a very long shedding period (which stopped recently) and it made my hairline/tempels receed a bit more.

PLEASE HELP !?
    Put your future in good hands your own.

Re: 6.5 months on Proscar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Growing hair again at the temples is the hardest thing to do. Since your hairloss is aggressive maintaining the bulk of what you have should be considered a success.

You could switch to dut which is stronger and worked for me in the past but along with that comes increased risk of side effects.

Hej Ben,

thanks for your reply.

Did you see some thickening of the hairline/temples when you switched to dut? and how long does it take to see regrowth?

Should I start taking 1 capsule of Dut per week to see how it goes ? What would you suggest ?

I'm thinking of starting Dut and continue with Fin asswell. (monday Dut, and other days fin).

Thanks in advance !

how old are you?

many people on fin don't start to see regrowth until the 6th or 7th month..some people dont see regrowth til after a year (if at all) so I think 6 months is a bit early to completely write off regrowth from fin. Combining dut and fin just sounds like a bad idea to me

Thanks for the replies guys!

I think i'll wait a few more months to see how things go while on Fin. I hope i'll see some thickening at my temples from the minox. i still have a lot of (miniaturized) hairs on my tepmles.
    If I don't see some positive signs after that, i'll have to consider starting Dut.
    I am almost 23 years old btw.