Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Method of rubbing in topicals

I recently buzz cut my hair thinking it would be easier to apply topicals but because the hair is so short it stands up and I'm having a real problem rubbing in topicals. Does anyone have and tips on rubbing in topicals because at the moment when I do it they are drying on top of the scalp as a slimy substance? I really feel I'm not getting hardly any benefit if they just sit on the scalp.

Re: Method of rubbing in topicals

Rub it in but wear a latex surgical glove. u don't need to rub an area more than a few seconds

It depends upon what topicals are being used. I use my Hair Sonic for some topicals...others it's not necessary.

Are you sure it's not just a thick layer of sebum on your head? I'm being serious...years ago I could scrape the stuff off with my fingernails like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob
    It depends upon what topicals are being used. I use my Hair Sonic for some topicals...others it's not necessary.

Are you sure it's not just a thick layer of sebum on your head? I'm being serious...years ago I could scrape the stuff off with my fingernails like crazy.
    How did you stop the sebum build up jacob?

Well at the time I just started treating my hair loss...so it was a combo of the topicals (Tricomin..don't laugh.. and Alterna's) as well as paying major attention to my digestive system- which I was having problems with at the time. Probiotics..enzymes...other things for IBS(Seacure..etc).

I'm trying to remember what shampoo I was using...may have been Alterna's. I know I started using Morrocco Method way back then..at some point.

You may be right about the sebum. I would definetly say I over produce. Having just done a quick internet search taking a mix of omega 3 and omega 6 seems to reduce sebum intake to normal level (doesn't reduce to much leading to dry skin). I'll probably start on some fish oil pills as if nothing else they are a good supplement for the brain.

I think a good test would be to wash your hair in the morning- don't put on any topical. Later on towards the evening or even the next morning scrape your scalp with your fingernails and see if you get a glob of whitish crap in 'em. If that's not the problem..I'd be curious to know what topical(s) you're using.

Oh gawd I'm almost thinking about how bad it was back then. I could just scrape and scrape and scrape....

I thought this was interesting-Galvanic Current: Desincrustation etc: http://www.dermalinstitute.com/us/li...neic_Skin.html

And then this..which I'm not surprised by, given my own experience. It also reminds me that around that time I also started doing liver cleanses, along with the digestive aids: http://lanisisland.com/clearing-your...gestive-system

When we are highly toxic, your body will produce excess sebum to eliminate more toxins through the skin.

I used to do that with my scalp, scraping with finger nails, but I always thought it was dead skin. How can you tell if it's sebum for sure

I think a good test would be to wash your hair in the morning- don't put on any topical. Later on towards the evening or even the next morning scrape your scalp with your fingernails and see if you get a glob of whitish crap in 'em. If that's not the problem..I'd be curious to know what topical(s) you're using.

Oh gawd I'm almost thinking about how bad it was back then. I could just scrape and scrape and scrape....
    I'm using 15% minoxidil (think its called dualagen) and topical finasteride from *******. I may try the test you stated tomorrow but I believe einstein has a point as regards knowing whether its dead skin or sebum. I guess if you don't suffer from dandruff then its probably sebum but in my case I do suffer from mild dandruff so I can't rule that out as a possiblity. I read somewhere that sebum overproduction can cause dandruff so it could be a mix of both. Either way if I have a layer of the stuff on my scalp its going to reduce the amount of topical reaching my hair follicles. As I only use topicals in my regimen this is particularly annoying. Its something I'm definetly going to actively try and stop in the near future.