Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible allergy to minoxidil?

Hey guys, I originally posted this in another forum last month, but didn't have any luck with it, so I figured I'd try it here.

Feb 6, 2012:

So I've been using Rogaine liquid for the past year, but about two weeks ago, I started experiencing extreme itchiness on my hairline where I apply Rogaine. Also, the skin in that area became very rough, and somewhat swollen and red. So, to be safe, I switched from liquid to foam (since foam does not contain propylene glycol). Around the same time, my armpits and hands began to become very itchy as well. I took off my shirt last night to look at my armpits, and they were extremely red. So I look at the ingredients on both my deodorant and my hand lotion, and they both contain propylene glycol. So it seems to me that I have developed an allergy to propylene glycol. Am I overlooking another possibility of what is happening?
    This leads me to another question: do I now have to switch over to products that do not contain propylene glycol? My hair product, soap, deodorant, and hand lotion all contain it. My shampoos contain glycol distearate; is that the same thing as propylene glycol? Can anybody help me with these questions? I'd like to go to a dermatologist with this, but I was just at one and I don't have the money to make another appointment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

March 3, 2012:

Ok, so it's been about 4 weeks since that last post. Over the last month, I've switched to Rogaine foam since it appeared that I had an allergy to the PG in the liquid. The itchiness has definitely decreased, but it still itches quite a bit. The redness/roughness/swelling on my hairline went away after a few days on the foam as well. But over the past 7-10 days or so, I've developed 5 or 6 red spots (about 2-4 mm each) on my hairline. They are sensitive to the touch and are also extremely itchy and burn somewhat. Does this sound like a symptom of somebody who is allergic to minoxidil? It seems like I just can't get my scalp to clear up lately and it's really frustrating. I've also been using Nizoral twice a week during this time. I've always suffered from dry skin and dry skin in general so I don't know how that plays into this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: The strange thing is that when I apply the foam, the redness of the spots decreases significantly to the point where I can't even notice them. I've only been applying the foam once a day if that matters at all.

I know it's a long read, but I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

Timi

Re: Possible allergy to minoxidil?

i had this from all Minox
    Foam-Kirkland-Rogaine-Regaine
    2%-5% i was soooooooooo swollen and red
    become a Monsterface

and it was bad for my Hairs

I just took a look at the spots/bumps on my scalp, and it looks like they have each doubled in size overnight! Any advice anybody?

I had this exact issue. I switched to foam and also tried other zero pg formulas with no success. I eventually decided to quit minox as I came to the conclusion that I was allergic.. Like yourself I had also been using minoxidil for a year without any issues before this happened. if you have any success finding a solution, please report back. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice.
    "How strange it is to be anything at all"

I'm not experiencing any facial bloating or anything other than the red spots where I apply the foam. I just find it hard to believe that, after over a year, I'm all of the sudden allergic to minoxidil. I'd hate to quit Rogaine and lose all the progress I've made.

Given the fact that I have a history or dry scalp, is it possible that it is just the alcohol in the Rogaine products that is irritating me, not the minoxidil itself? If that is the case, what are the alternative minoxidil products without alcohol? Thanks again.

We could do with finding out once and for all if it actually is the minox we're allergic to and not something else commonly found in minox solutions....anyone have any advice on how we do this? I'm almost two years off minox now and pretty desperate for a growth stimulant.

Again, I have to say that the weirdest thing about this is that when I apply the Rogaine, the redness goes away. What do you guys make of that?

I found that when I initially applied minox, my scalp would be fine for a few hours, and then the irritation would occur. I don't recall the minox actually calming the redness as such, but it didn't irritate until a few hours post application.

Timi

bv2929

take you Fin??