Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Will you ever be the same person you used to be?

I wonder this all the time. It seems like the life I had before I started losing my hair is a completely different life. I feel like even on days where life is great and I'm having a great time and the sun is shining..theres always that black cloud hanging in the back of my mind called hair loss.

Even on days when I'm not thinking about it..its always there somehow. I feel like I can never completely escape it..even when its not on my mind.

Its kind of sad when you look back and try to remember what it was like to not even have a second thought about your hair...to not even notice a hair falling out in the shower. To run your hands through your hair, revealing your hairling, and not think anything of it. I've only been losing my hair for 3 years and I can't remember what those things are like.

There are not many events that stick out in someone's life that they'll always remember no matter what. Like where you were on 9/11 or something like that. For me I'll never forget the exact moment when I got out of the shower..looked at my hair..and noticed a freckle through my hairline that I had never seen before (because I had just started losing enough hair that it had become vaguely visible through my hairline on my left temple and I had never knew it existed before because the density of my hair covered it). I thought oh my god am I losing my hair? I'm only 22..nah..thats impossible....no one in my family really has hair loss...but, deep down I knew what it was.

Have any of you guys gotten back to the point of not being concerned with it? Maybe from taking fin or whatever? Do you think you'll ever get back there?

Just something I thought about that I thought might be interesting to discuss.

Re: Will you ever be the same person you used to be?

Doubt it. Most people with thick full hair don't understand the stress. Mine started when I was 15. Since then I seemed to go through phases of denial and depression. I feel like I've missed out on most of my youth because of this. It sucks but we can only hope for a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Six
    Doubt it. Most people with thick full hair don't understand the stress. Mine started when I was 15. Since then I seemed to go through phases of denial and depression. I feel like I've missed out on most of my youth because of this. It sucks but we can only hope for a cure.
    Stress is a good word for it. No matter how good of a day or what I'm doing..theres always that low level stress thats just somehow always subconsciously there

Chris,thank you for this great post,really.I doubt that we could have that life,we had before...never think about hairloss again,it's impossible.Even if you stop hairloss,there are always some sheddings or your hair is going bad again,so...even if you go for a HT...dont know man,it would never be the same,as it was when i was 15 years old...in that time i cared only about video games and girls,walks and that kind of a stuff...i really hate this word "hairloss",i will remember it in the rest of my life...another think to consider is,if i have to choose betweeen girl and boy,when i want kids,i will deffinitely prefer girl..you know why ! Well,you were 22 when you noticed your hairloss,what can i say? I was 18 years old when i noticed that...you can't imagine what depression i had..the same think as you said,i thought my life was over...for example my friends invite me to go out or something like that,and exactly in the moment when i want to say "yea,great let's meet some girls or etc" that hairloss stuff..hits me so painful,as a bullet in my heart and i lose my desire to go out... i really hate this thing...but,that's it..you cant do anything..that's the way we are born and you CAN NOT change it,you can only slow it down..(i agree that it is possible to Stop and even reverse hairloss as SE-FREAK,but let's be honest,guys like SE-Freak are 1 on 100000000) and the only advice i can say to you,is to fight with all power you have,patience,meds,and stuff to maintain what you have as much time as you can,use toppik and live your life man,that's all i can say.It's enough that i have hairloss,and this alone is enough...except this curse,it will ruin my life..HELL NO ! SO : MAINTAIN,TOPPIK and last step is HT and after that again TOPPIK..that's all dude,peace.
    My regimen :
    Finasteride 1.25mg/day.
    Nizoral 2% keto every day.
    Kirkland minoxidil 5% twice a day.

p.s Important detail of my day regimen : Drifting a BMW,changes my current NW to NW1.

Beingbaldsucks

No day is awesome anymore, it's only less paintfall, being also short, I have such big stress that my friends don't haves and it coused me to fight with one of them, all of us have troubles, but mines is on a different level, I'm loosing my youth, my beauty my happiness in life, you know we all from poor background but they have the happiness and the unworriness of the hair, it will allyes be there for them, they can style it in whatever form they want. And I'm an young short man with aging problems

Good question,although for me I would rephase it to."will I ever be the person I really am? as I have never really had hair.What I mean by this is,because of the way I look I am deemed as something I am patently not by society,thus I unable to be the person I am inside,as the look I am forced too adopt is not me.

If you have hair,you can do anything,be anyone,go anywhere.Without hair,you can't be the person you essentially are(people won't let you),you can't go anywhere without ridicule,you are forced to walk the wrong path.

Quote Originally Posted by seb
    If you have hair,you can do anything,be anyone,go anywhere.Without hair,you can't be the person you essentially are(people won't let you),you can't go anywhere without ridicule,you are forced to walk the wrong path.
    Good point. I feel sometimes too that I will never be fully able to be who I am supposed to be, because I will always have this hanging over me. I don't have depression..i am not a depressed person..i deal with things really well..but I do think about these things.

I'm glad we are at least in a time where we have a forum like this, or a show like The Bald Truth to listen to every week where we can sort of hang out with other guys and not have to worry about someone judging us..because we are all in the same boat.

I feel bad for the guys who are in their 40s or 50s and started going bald in their 20s before there was any real treatment (like fin) and before hair transplants were really good. Back then there was no forum like this and you would just be on your own i suppose

After 5,5 yrs of dealing with this **** I think it's safe to say: NO.
    Bugger.

This question doesn't even make sense.

Of course I wont ever be the same person I used to be because I went bald!

I don't even think I know who I used to be.

What makes me resentful is when I see all these other guys who are in their 20's like me and they are still living an extension of their youth. Yes, they mature in a lot of ways, but they still have that physical connection to their past because they *look* like who they've always looked like.

I, on the other hand, have so little physical connection to my past, I look almost nothing like I did, I find it hard to believe that I ever was who I was.