Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My success story - Rogaine/Nizoral started November 2011

Well, OK then. Thought I'd share my results, I believe I can call myself a success story at this point, only 3.5 months in. I just hope progress continues as it has been so far!

I'm currently 45 years old and have always had a thick head of hair - no receding hairline, no thinning visible - that is, until I hit about 42-43 years old... Started seeing some signs of thinning at the top front of my head - nothing on the crown, no receding hairline to speak of - but some slight thinning. Well in the last 12/18 months, that thinning really accelerated to a point where this past Fall I happened to catch myself in the mirror and it just clicked - 'OMG, WTF'. Suddenly I could 'see' what was some slight thinning had become (gulp) nearly bare patches... Holy crap!! For someone that had grown used to thinking of themselves as having no hairloss problems for their adult lives, this was a bit humbling.

Set about researching options last Summer (2011). Tried and bought Laser Comb, but after a couple of months on that I decided to take them up on their 80% refund offer. Not saying it doesn't work, I just had decided upon more research to try a more aggressive approach...

Debated starting Fin, and have seen all the history and successes with it - but in the end I decided that I would start out trying simply Rogaine Foam 2x / day combined with 2x / week Nizoral 1%. I decided that I would attempt this regimen for starters, applied RELIGIOUSLY with no variance and would make a determination at the end of four months.

I can honestly say that in the 3.5 months since I started in mid-November 2011, I have not missed an application of either. I will say that the application times have shifted around - for example, on a weekend I might not do morning application until 1pm, waiting until after I exercise and sweat my head off and shower late - then 2nd application around midnight before bed - but most days it's a more regular schedule.

I experienced no shedding that I could notice (though if you see the Day 1 pics, Good Lord, not much to shed .

In my experience the Foam is dried enough immediately after application such that I can comb/style, I've been very pleased with how it 'feels', very minimally problematic. While it does leave the hair a bit 'sticky' (as if you had some gel or hair treatment left over in there) - it's certainly no big deal (not to me).

OK - now for the pics. I did my best to use controlled lighting and circumstances for each of these... This is in a closed bathroom (no windows) with my hair styled/cut immediately after a haircut, so all controllable factors are approximately the same. Length, lighting, angle, etc to the best of my ability.

Couldn't figure out how to post inline photos, so I created an album in the other part of the site. Three pics from Day 1, and three pics from today (3.5 months into treatment).

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/profiles/sfc2010/albums/550

I'll continue to update as things progress. I'm convinced I see decent results after just 3.5 months, and can see much new growth coming in even beneath the visible growth evident in the photos.

As you guys I'm sure know you stare and stare and ask "is it really working???" Well I believe I finally think it is (glad I took Day 1 photos!!), and the wife does too... So bravo to all of you for your postings and details, it helped me decide to take the plunge and I'm pleased to report my success (hopefully you all agree it is indeed a success .

Will keep you all apprised!

Regards,
    Scott

Re: My results - Rogaine Foam/Nizoral 1% started November 2011

Thanks for posting, absolutely Fantastic results and proof that you can get regrowth in the front!! I wonder if there is more to come!

Re: My success story - Rogaine/Nizoral started November 2011

That's a huge difference. Great results.

that certainly looks improved for sure congrats!

Question for you.. when did you begin to see growth?

Quote Originally Posted by kc444
    Question for you.. when did you begin to see growth?
    That's a murky issue. Like anyone I was constantly 'checking' to see if I could see anything starting... You stare and look at it to a point where you don't know if what you're seeing is growth or just 'stuff that was already there'. But, I'm pretty sure that at some point between 4-6 weeks I was fairly certain I was seeing small hairs around the hairline area start appearing. The hairline is really the only place where I can now reliably say I see 'changes' just looking close in the mirror (even though I don't really have a receding hairline, the Rogaine is definitely sprouting new stuff there and it's my immediate gratification snapshot that I can peek at and see weekly progression up close .

It's just too difficult to see daily or weekly 'growth' in the middle of the top of the head, I just can't tell the old from the new hairs apart, so I gave up on that. Don't laugh, but I even went so far as to buy a kid's toy on eBay (magnifier camera thing) to try and 'see' if I could see growth on the scalp itself (like a doctor's camera thing, but a toy). While a cool toy, it didn't provide quite the clarity I was after so I just donated it to the kiddos.

I really wasn't absolutely convinced I was seeing growth until I had two things happen:

1) when I would look in the mirror at different angles and could no longer see the outline of my scalp line thru the hair - this occurred somewhere during the third month, though I thought I could see sprouts after 4-6 weeks
    2) when I just reviewed my 3.5 month photos shortly before posting them here

There you go... More info than you bargained for.

Scott

would love to see the pics when it gets to the sixth month mark
    your regime is quite simple so you must be a great responder

its not a success story until u make it past the 16 month mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippers22
    its not a success story until u make it past the 16 month mark.
    Hmmm I missed that time requirement in the 'Success Stories' forum instructions (i.e., "it's not a success story unless you make it past 16 months") - thought this was simply a forum to encourage others when evidence of promising results are undeniably evident... At least that's what I read as the forum guidelines.

I know from my perspective when beginning treatment the first question I had in my mind - as I'm sure was in yours too when you started - was "how soon will I see results?" -- and I looked high and low for posts that demonstrated answers to those questions. How things looked after 12, or 16, or 24 months for that matter was not nearly as important to me - I wanted to know how quickly I'd start seeing progress.

So I'll respectfully disagree with you here Clippers22 - not sure where you get the magic 16 month 'success' marker - I see plenty of posts describing successes at much less that that (i.e., what if it starts falling out at 18 or 24 months? Was it still a 'success' at 16 months then?) but I'll say that 1) I'm extremely pleased with the regrowth I've had in the front, 2) the pics speak for themselves and 3) I thought this progress was worth sharing and would encourage anyone considering starting treatment...

It's a long-term journey here for sure for all of us, but for those folks wanting to know whether successful frontal regrowth is possible after 4 months of religious treatment, I offer my details as encouragement... No one can predict the future, but for now, "so far so good".

I will, of course update as time progresses.

Wow! fantastic results. And this is with the half a capfull/1 mL dosage?

Also, it's very inspiring that your success shows minox does great results in the frontal region.