Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy So is it true that Propecia is dangerous? Law suit?

First I would like to tell a bit about myself ,.

I've been taking the generic proscar and cutting it in 4 pieces, but I stopped recently because I saw the propecia website was shut down. Then I saw there was a lawsuit saying the drug is very dangerous, that it can cause dementia and alzheimers, and permanent impotence and suicidal thoughts.

I have to admit when I was on the stuff it stopped my hairloss, I was on it for 3 years, I took the 1.25 mg every other day. But I did lose some libido, had some forgetfulness, like I forgot some names of actors and couldn't remember them, I also had a bit of depression, and occasional testicular pain.

So I stopped. I tried Saw Palmetto for 60 days, even though I didn't feel any side effects it really didn't show any stopping of hairloss it just was shedding. Someday I wouldn't shed, but I would lose like 10 hairs in the show after shampooing. But I stopped Saw Palmetto because people said it will kill your sex drive completely.

So now I am pretty much stuck, I will just have to deal with going bald at 30 and the worst part is I do not have a nice shaped head, when I shaved my hair to the skin completely bald just to see how I would look people laughed at me and said I looked like an alien.

So is this true that propecia is being removed because they don't want to be sued? Is there any other hairloss treatment that works and is safe or all of them pretty much kill your libido?

I didn't want to use Rogaine foam because I heard its a hassle and you have to do it everyday 2 times a day to see any results and the hair still sheds daily and its weak thin hairs. Plus my friend said it made him have a throbbing headache and his heart rate increased on rogaine.

Re: So is it true that Propecia is dangerous? Law suit?

Wow I can't believe it. I guess people were listening after all.
    If Hoppi said it then it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by dougfunny
    Wow I can't believe it. I guess people were listening after all.
    What do you mean?

god damnit... none of that is true.
    Do you watch daytime television? Every drug is being sued nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by 2020
    god damnit... none of that is true.
    Do you watch daytime television? Every drug is being sued nowadays...
    Why did they take there site down, and put up a number to report side effects only.

www.propecia.com go check for yourself.

I don't know if it's safe because the Alzheimer and Dementia claims are nothing to joke around with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    If only drugs which caused no side effects were approved there would be no drugs available at all.

Propecia is not being removed from the market.

So is it safe? I am just scared of getting Dementia because guys are claiming it causes dementia and Alzheimer's now.

Do you still take it? It was the only thing that prevented hairloss for me, and now I came off it because of the lawsuit and Merck pulling the site down with info on side effects

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Im on it still and have no plans to come off it. If it was dangerous as claimed then its highly likely it would have been removed by the FDA

Well it looks like that is what is going to happen right now, its under investigation. How long have you been on it?

Can you still have kids while on it? or will your kids be deformed?

I was on it for 3 years, and it really worked it helped keep the hair what I had and regrew some on the crown. But claims of memory loss and Alzheimer's after prolonged isn't enough to scare you?

You need to do a lot of research and stop asking such questions on forums. You are boiling over with bad information.

Quote Originally Posted by cassin
    You need to do a lot of research and stop asking such questions on forums. You are boiling over with bad information.
    Bad information? How do I tell the difference? I have one side telling me to take it and that side seems not to care about side effects and just taking a blind leap, the other side is saying its dangerous and a law suit that has made Merck think twice about even continuing making the product.

Which side should I take?

right now I am on Saw Palmetto (don't really no if its working) and Nizoral, I stopped taking the Proscar cut in 4 because I read that people cannot have normal kids on fin and that you will get Alzheimer's with prolong usage.

The bad information comes from Merck and the FDA. Take a look at independent studies and the post marketing experience if you want the truth about the drug.

The drug is dangerous, and Merck is now facing law suits because of it.