Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dutasteride vs Finasteride

what's the difference between the two in terms of what they do for hair?
    Please err on the side of caution when thinking being of being rude. You never know a person's current set of circumstances.

Re: Dutasteride vs Finasteride

They do exactly the same thing to halt hair loss. They reduce levels of DHT by binding to the 5AR enzyme. Dutasteride is more effective because it has a stronger affinity to the 5AR Type 1 enzyme which reduces levels of DHT even more than Finasteride. The drawbacks of using Dutasteride is of course increasing the likelihood of side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mestys
    Dutasteride is more effective because it has a stronger affinity to the 5AR Type 1 enzyme which reduces levels of DHT even more than Finasteride.
    It also has a stronger affinity to the 5AR Type 2 enzyme, in addition to the Type 1 enzyme. That may actually be the main reason why dutasteride lowers DHT more than finasteride.
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.

Yes that's a good point. I read somewhere that Type 1 doesn't seem to play that much of a role in hair loss.

MK386 (an experimental specific type 1 inhibitor drug made by Merck) has been tested in both humans and stumptailed macaques, and found not to be very effective at stopping MPB.

What the hell..

I did some mini-research on the stuff and when used with proscar it inhibited up to 89% DHT.. and was found to be effective in combating MPB

Why was MK-386 never pursued?

Quote Originally Posted by Haircut
    What the hell..

I did some mini-research on the stuff and when used with proscar it inhibited up to 89% DHT.. and was found to be effective in combating MPB
    What specifically are you talking about? MK-386? Where did you find that it was (supposedly) effective at combatting MPB? (Yes, I've read the study in which MK-386 was combined with finasteride, but I don't recall any mention of anything having to do with any effect on MPB!)

Quote Originally Posted by Haircut
    Why was MK-386 never pursued?
    I don't think they've ever found any specific use for MK-386. It doesn't work for MPB, and doesn't even work for acne (a famous study tested it a few years ago for acne, but was found not to do any good.)

Dutasteride inhibits types 1 and 2 of the 5AR enzyme resulting in up to 90% of DHT suppression. Finasteride targets only the type 2 class of the enzyme and gives approximately 70% DHT suppression. (correct me if I'm wrong this is all info from lecture this semester on BPH)

Affinity of dutasteride is much greater for 5AR hence the dosage difference of only 0.5mg Avodart vs. 5mg Proscar... It blows my mind that some people claim less sides using dut over fin?

Quote Originally Posted by el longhorn
    Dutasteride inhibits types 1 and 2 of the 5AR enzyme resulting in up to 90% of DHT suppression. Finasteride targets only the type 2 class of the enzyme and gives approximately 70% DHT suppression. (correct me if I'm wrong this is all info from lecture this semester on BPH)

Affinity of dutasteride is much greater for 5AR hence the dosage difference of only 0.5mg Avodart vs. 5mg Proscar... It blows my mind that some people claim less sides using dut over fin?
    I read somewhere that Finasteride targets Type 1 and Type 2. It has a very weak effect on binding to Type 1 where Dutasteride has a higher affinity to Type 1 (100 fold) as well as being more effective at binding to Type 2.

Quote Originally Posted by el longhorn
    Let's be clear about the LEVELS of those two separate enzymes affected by dutasteride and finasteride. At standard, recommended doses (0.5 mg/day), dutasteride inhibits about 98% to 99% of the type 2 enzyme, and about half of the type 1 enzyme. At 5 mg/day (the standard Proscar dosage), finasteride inhibits about 90% of the type 2 enzyme, and a small, insubstantial amount of the type 1 enzyme.