Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

Has anyone used any antibiotic nasal sprays for a runny nose

I don't know why someone would take a pill that is most concentrated in your digestive tract where all your good bacteria are, instead of applying antibiotics topically at the source with inhailers and nasal sprays.

I read mucus is a good thing. That is your bodies way of washing away bacteria. You do not want to dry your nose up. You want to drink more water and spray saline up there to help make your nose run even more so the bacteria get rinsed out.

I'd really like a spray that has an antibiotic in it too. No pills for me. I'm definitely going to experiment with inhaling lots of steam and rinsing my nose with warm salt water, but I'm thinking of getting some tea tree oil mouth rinse and diluting it down and adding that into the rinse too.

They actually sell natural nasal sprays that have various essential oils in them, to kill bacteria and fungus locally without messing up your digestive bacteria. I would not inhale too much, since it will go into your blood stream. But maybe rinsing the nasal cavity would do some good.

Any takers? The only risk is the cells that smell stuff are much more sensitive than other cells in your body, and can be killed much more easily by topicals. Zinc losanges are good for killing bacteria on the back of your throat, and ending sore throats, but they can kill your olefactory cells, which is why zinc nasal sprays have been removed from the market by FDA. Still, maybe something else is safer. Maybe they are just sensitive to zinc but not other stuff.

Please tell me your experiences.
    Support instant round robbin voting (Condorcet), which elects the candidate who would win every head to head race. Next best is Approval voting, which lets you vote for your favorite, or two you like equally, in addition to the lessor of evils you think you have to vote for, so you don't split votes like the current voting system. The major parties will always have power if voters are afraid to vote for any other than the big lessor of evils.

Re: Has anyone used any antibiotic nasal sprays for a runny nose

Well I did more reading. While my mucus was clear, that meant the infection was just viral or just starting. So antiseptics might not have done much back then.

My mucus started to turn yellow, which I read means that the infection is getting stronger and the fight has geared up.

Then my mucus turned green a day after. Green mucus may sound bad, but I read that green mucus means that your body is winning, and that the infection is coming to an end.

The site recommends against antibiotics except as a last resort, for example if you have pneumonia or something serious. It said antibiotics often do not do much, at least because doctors don't test the mucus to see what kind of bacteria is there before prescribing them.

Instead, it recommends I drink lots of water and breath steam to help my body clear out the infection. I'm going to drink hot sauce too.

While I was in the shower, I deliberately got warm water up my nose, buy snorting it. That was a bad idea. Instead of just rinsing my nasal cavity, a lot of the now infected water went down and into my lungs, spreading the infection to there. I was not coughing before that. If you do try to clean out your nose, squirt it, don't snort it.

As for the steam, instead of wasting water in the shower or standing over the stove, I plan to set up a rice cooker on my desk.
    Support instant round robbin voting (Condorcet), which elects the candidate who would win every head to head race. Next best is Approval voting, which lets you vote for your favorite, or two you like equally, in addition to the lessor of evils you think you have to vote for, so you don't split votes like the current voting system. The major parties will always have power if voters are afraid to vote for any other than the big lessor of evils.

I think having a fever greatly impairs my brain. Sometime I'll stair at my post and take a minute before realizing I have to hit "submit" instead of "log out". I hope my fever was not too high for too long, I did not take my temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by idontwanttobebalding
    This is what I use:

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/index.php

Just the Sinus Rinse. Never put tap water up your nose.....it hurts and you subject yourself to bad stuff.

I use either boiled water or filtered bottled water with the mix.

It really helps allergies and clogged noses. Don't do it if your ears are plugged. Very easy to use, my 8 yr. old does it on his own!
    Those products are awesome. I've had this chronic sinus condition for years and I've starting using a neti-pot and one of those squeeze bottles with saline/water a few years ago. I flush my sinuses out at least once every day and it really helps alleviate symptoms and gets a lot of crap out of there. I highly recommend this for anyone with sinus problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS
    When I feel my chest through my shirt, ther is meat there, and plenty, even if I'm not flexing. That is what the women want.

I'm almost over my cold. I only used antiseptics on my throat, but just saline up my nose. It did a great job of helping me clear out my dry nose. It dissolves all the stuff up in there so I can blow it out.

Main thing is don't sniff stuff back up your nose, and don't swallow what you cough. Get it all out, and drink enough water to keep it flowing. I wish I would have eaten some hot sauce too. Last night was the first night I was able to sleep through most of the night instead of waking up every 15 minutes to blow my nose.

Having my room hot was probably not a good idea. I think I got hyperthermia, which is much different than a fever. My brain is mostly recovered now.

And instead of spending hours in the shower, wasting water, or standing over a stove pot, you can set up a rice cooker or crock pot on your desk and inhale the steam there. I did that. Felt great.

The mentholatum I got was weak. I wanted some essential oils instead, but walmart was too far away.