Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

Stimulants, blood circulation and hair loss

Hello,

I've been reading that minoxidil likely works because it is a vasodilator and increases blood flow to the scalp. I've also read that smoking is linked to hair loss in some way. As you may know, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, so it seems at least somewhat likely that this could be a mechanism that contributes to this effect (there are other speculated causes too). I smoke, but I am literally quitting right now because of this. However, I also take Adderall, which I'm not sure I'd want to stop taking because it is quite helpful. I only started taking it 3-4 months ago and recently I've noticed that my hair looks really bad, BUT I also started taking Propecia a month ago and began using Rogaine about a week ago, so this may be why I'm shedding so much (or maybe I'm just running my hands through my hair more to see if I notice a difference, who knows).

Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. If Rogaine is effective because it is a vasodilator, then isn't it reasonable to assume that vasoconstrictors (most stimulants) would work in the opposite way? Will the Adderall negate the effect of the Rogaine? Would taking Arginine help mitigate this?

2. Has anyone ever quit smoking and noticed that it helped grow some hair back or made it grow thicker (like Rogaine)? Does it cause a shed?

3. If blood circulation has a role in hair loss, why is it always denied so vehemently that cardiovascular health is related to it? I realize that DHT is the cause of hair loss, but if Rogaine works by increasing blood circulation, isn't it possible that exercise acts as a "natural Rogaine"? I notice that people with bad hair loss for their age seem to be out of shape often. Coincidence?

Re: Stimulants, blood circulation and hair loss

Something interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2715645/

Subcutaneous blood flow in early male pattern baldness.

Klemp P, et al.
    J Invest Dermatol. 1989 May;92(5):725-6.

Department of Dermatology, Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.

Abstract
    The subcutaneous blood flow (SBF) was measured by the 133Xe washout method in the scalp of 14 patients with early male pattern baldness. Control experiments were performed in 14 normal haired men matched for age. The SBF in the scalp of the normal individuals was about 10 times higher than previously reported SBF values in other anatomical regions. In patients with early male pattern baldness, SBF was 2.6 times lower than the values found in the normal individuals (13.7 +/- 9.6 vs 35.7 +/- 10.5 ml/100 g/min-1). This difference was statistically significant (p much less than 0.001). A reduced nutritive blood flow to the hair follicles might be a significant event in the pathogenesis of early male pattern baldness.

UK the Home of the worst HT surgeons in the world

This 'old wives tale' about lack of circulation causing hairloss is total Bull5hit.
    Dont you guys realise that more circulation = more DHT delivered to the follicles!

Do you honestly believe that there are healthy young men in their 20's like most of the posters on here (non smokers and non obese) who have a circulation problem?
    *Voice of reason on HLT since 2007*
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS
    I don't need to marry the woman I'll get HM for that. just need to have fun for a month till she finds out, and have a fast turnover rate if she dumps me. If the piece looks good turnover shouldnt b a issue. Just break contact with her & her friends if she has a bigmouth
    it is not your lack of drink, but muscles or face thats the reason. The only reason they'd want you to drink is so you focus on that and dont hit on them I don't even go to partys, at least not till I get more muscle on my arms.

Quote Originally Posted by kc444
    I've been reading that minoxidil likely works because it is a vasodilator and increases blood flow to the scalp.
    Not just EVERY vasodilator works to stimulate hair growth, just the ones in minoxidil's specific chemical family. Other vasodilators don't have that effect.

It's an old old myth that minoxidil works because of its effect on blood flow to the scalp, and one that we have to address on a fairly regular basis!
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.