Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Palmetto

Saw Palmetto

Is it fair to say that the general consensus on thsi forum is that Saw Palmetto is not that effective for hair loss and likely to give the sides of propecia anyway? For some reason I'm tempted to try it in a very small dosage along with nizoral as I no longer use minox.

Re: Saw Palmetto

I think it varies from operson to person. I've heard many say no it doesnt help...

BUT

I've heard of some where it does. And it's helped me. I compliment a low dose of Spiro with 2 pills of saw palmetto. When I add a few other compliments (MSM, Low carb diet, Nioxin vits, Keto 2% shampoo), I get as low as 5-10 hairs a day and fuzz in some areas.

I saw try it for yourself. Establish your baseline of shedding and growth (pictures) then try it for about 3 mos or a little more. If it doesn't help you then, it wont.

Can saw palmetto and Propecia be used in combination without and adverse effects? I just don't want to be killing myself with androgen stabilizers to the point of hair extinction!

Quote Originally Posted by diffuser2011
    Can saw palmetto and Propecia be used in combination without and adverse effects? I just don't want to be killing myself with androgen stabilizers to the point of hair extinction!
    Why would you want to use both? I'd be worried enough about the side effects of just one.

Well, just in case Saw Palmetto doesn't cut it? I mean, the hair supplement treatment I have is called 'Vita-Hair' and it contains the following:

Coenzyme Q10 15 MG
    Horsetail Extract 30 MG
    Saw Palmetto (Serenoa reopens) Berry Powder 30 MG
    Biotin Trituration Powder 30 MG
    Collagen Hydrolysate Powder 400 MG

You see all these other ingredients I want as well, and wonder if I should also throw in Propecia, I have 90 generic tabs of finpecia in the cabinet. It doesn't seem to really be working all that well (the finpecia) so I just started the above treatment. Any ideas?

If you take finasteride you don't need that other junk.

Just gave it a little more time to confirm.

I purchased the saw palmetto (whole berry with other anti androgrens pygeum, beta sistoral, etc 450mg ) from Walmart and it's further cut my shed by 50-80% (if i've eaten many carbs only 50 if low or no carbs the days before up to 80%). I use it as an adjunct and a prescription anti androgen in a very low dose as my primary. Also I took some pics about 2 mos ago and judging by them i have a little new growth in some areas. I'm going to take another pic in a few wks. But I can't say SP is solely the reason because i take several things. Just that it does cut my shedding by 50% because I've gone off of it twice (wanted to take as less stuff as possible so removed it thinking it didn't work) and both times my shed shot up by 50-80% and when I started retaking after about a month, shed reduction.

Again, I would try to take this as an adjunct BUT you can try it alone first if it doesnt do anything, do your prescription oral antiandrogen then add this say at night then judge.

All I can say is 2 x's has proven it works for me. Thank God because it was getting rough around here.

Recommended dose of saw palmetto is much too weak for any meaningful effect on MPB. A high amount would just be like finasteride so you may as well just try that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhairlosstalk
    Just gave it a little more time to confirm.

I purchased the saw palmetto (whole berry with other anti androgrens pygeum, beta sistoral, etc 450mg ) from Walmart and it's further cut my shed by 50-80% (if i've eaten many carbs only 50 if low or no carbs the days before up to 80%).
    He's right if you take saw palmetto take it at a larger dose. The pill that I get is 450mg PLUS other anti androgens (beta sitosterol, pygeum, lycopene, etc) it's not JUST saw palmetto.

vitamin C
    fo ti extract
    eclipta alba plant
    amla berry extract
    lingstrum fruit
    millet extract

Saw Palmetto works better, rather, is more effective in the earlier stages of hair loss; not so much in the advance stages.

Further, these types of herbs (e.g. beta sitosterol, pygeum, pumpkin seed extract, lycopene, etc.) lose their effectiveness in a relatively short period of time (I'd say, somewhere around three months or so). After which, users will inevitably increase their dosage, only to learn, sadly, that saw palmetto (and the like) are not dose dependent.