Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

DHT Blocking Shampoos

Does anyone have experience with these? Positive or negative

Re: DHT Blocking Shampoos

Yes, they help but won't stop the problem by itself. I've used Revivogen, Revita, & Nizoral & have had the most benefit from Nizoral and/or Revita.

Revita
    61ovKphUJjL._SL1500_.jpg

So many more beneficial ingredients included in Revita along with Keto

Ingredients: Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Coco Glucoside, Caffeine, Pyrus Malus Seed Extract (Apple), Aspalathus Linearis (Rooibos/Red Tea) Leaf Extract (Roobios), Apple Polyphenol (Procyanidin B-2), Ketoconazole, Hydorlyzed Wheat Protein, Carnitine HCl, Ornitine HCl, Acetyl Cysteine, Dimethyl Sulfone (Methylsulfonyl Methane), Taurine, Emu Oil, Biotin (Vitamin H), Copper Peptides, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice (Spray Dried), Glycereth 7, Glycerin, Oleanolic Acid, Polyquaternium 10, Glycol Stearate, Menthyl Lactate (Menthol Derivative), EUK-134 (SOD Mimic/Spin Trap), PEG 150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, PEG 6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Menthol, Zinc PCA, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Tetrasodium EDTA, Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090).

Won't stop hairloss.

vitamin C
    fo ti extract
    eclipta alba plant
    amla berry extract
    lingstrum fruit
    Coenzyme Q10
    AminoMar®

I have used Revivogen's and Shen Min's in the past. Revivogen's smells better, but I think Shen Min's is just as effective for a 1/5 the price.

If it doesn't stop hairloss, what does it do?

DHT arrives at the hair follicle from the blood. not topically. All shampoo can do is block the DHT that makes it into the sebum.

topicals can work, but usually they need a transporter like a liposome. and i doubt shampoos have them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEscapist
    If it doesn't stop hairloss, what does it do?
    The most you can expect out of a good hair loss shampoo is to slow the hair loss process down by removing scalp DHT. They are a good compliment to any hair loss treatment protocol. Usually they are better and have more quality than most shampoos you buy in the store anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNatural
    I have used Revivogen's and Shen Min's in the past. Revivogen's smells better, but I think Shen Min's is just as effective for a 1/5 the price.
    Is this the shampoo you're using?
    Shen Min Vitalize Shampoo

Ingredients list:
    Water, sodium laureth sulfate (sls), aloe barbadensis leaf juice, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, lauryl glucoside, sodium PEG7 olive oil carboxylate, dimethyl sulfone (msm), glycerin, hydrolyzed wheat protein, oat kernal extract, rosemary oil, potassium chloride, PEG 400, sodium citrate, citric acid, diazolidinyl urea and iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, and fragrance.

Seems like a decent alternative to Revivogen shampoo because it has aloe & rosemary, but it also has SLS. I would pick Revivogen shampoo just because it has more ingredients to combat hair loss and has no SLS, but if it is working out for you then stick with it.

vitamin C
    fo ti extract
    eclipta alba plant
    amla berry extract
    lingstrum fruit
    Coenzyme Q10
    AminoMar®

Yeah, I like it. But I am not partial to any one shampoo now.

By the way, it is stated that Sodium Laureth Sulfate - SLES (contained in Shen Min's shampoo) should be differentiated from the harsher, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - SLS.

I can tell you that Shen Min's does not lather up as much as other shampoos that I use.

Quote Originally Posted by anxious1
    DHT arrives at the hair follicle from the blood. not topically.
    Actually, the blood doesn't have much to do with the "arrival" of DHT at the hair follicle. DHT is mostly generated inside hair follicle cells themselves, by the action of 5a-reductase on testosterone, which does enter the cells. That's why DHT isn't considered to be much of an endocrine hormone (one that travels large distances through the blood to various body locations), but mostly a paracrine or autocrine hormone (one that's physically produced where it's actually needed and used).
    1) No, damnit, finasteride for hairloss was NOT an "accidental discovery".
    2) No, you do NOT have to use minoxidil and Retin-A at the same time.
    3) No, washing your skin does NOT make it produce more sebum.

yes thats right sry.

Testosterone travels through the blood, and is synthesied into DHT at the follicle.

still think it should be called an endocrine hormone though. Dont think all of its interactions are paracrine, or autocrine.