Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

What would cause all my eyebrows to fall out, and hair

I have diffusly been loosing my eyebrows and hair for about the last year and a half. My eyebrows sting and are red. I think it dermatits, I have been to the derms and they dont think that I have it bad enouf to lose hair. Anyway almost all the hair turn color, light brown at the root and then easily fall out. My hair falls out insanly well over 200 per day. I have had my thryoid checked last year and have been on a low dose of sythroid and everything is stabilized. The hair is not growing back however and when it does it is very thin and fall out. I am 37 and just found out I have low test levels and started trt therapy 4 week ago, I know it is not he test causing the hair loss because this was happening before the therapy started. I just buzzed my head and feel alittle better about my hair loss, ie I cant see it as much. Anyway does anyone have a clue, derms dont seem to know.

Re: What would cause all my eyebrows to fall out, and hair

Can someone please help. Everytime i touch my head at least 5 hairs come out. I lost over 50 eyebrows alone tonight. they really look different. I dont know what to do. Im getting pushed over the edge by something I never thought would happen. I think I could deal with the hairloss but this eyebrow thing is really becoming a mental and physical problem for me. Please help

This seems outside our area of expertise. It might be a combination of things alongside MPB, man. Sorry no one has helped.

Have you had your thyroid checked? If so, did they check your thyroid antibodies level? It could be a dermatitis or psoriasis too but usually your skin would be scaly,itchy, and red. Its sounds like some type of autoimmune reaction. Usually when the body rids itself of something like eyelashes or eyebrows without a known infectious cause it means autoimmune. Do you have any inflammation or pain in any body parts or organs?
    House, MD: "See, this is why I don't waste money on shrinks, cause you give me all this great insight for free."

yep, its a autoimmune condition. possibly alopecia areata or something else. Maybe some sort of heavy metal poisoning, because these things can build up in the blood, get excreted through hair, then hair gets rejected by immune system.

u need a doctor, theres nothing we can do for u here, we mainly r concerned with mpb.

Tell the doctor, ask for a blood test, check thyroid (T3, T4), liver function, ferritin, b12, ask for heavy metals test, but he might say no.etc, (the doctor will know wat tests to do) but make sure u get a blood test.

youll probably end up on a corticosteroid, or localized cortizone injections, possibly even temporary immune suppressors. theres also cortizone cremes.

If all comes back negative, and u dont get an answer (because cortizone and steroid teatment is only a temporary solution) then find a naturapath to do a hair analysis.

get one from company 'doctors data', U will need to see a health practitioner for this company, but other companies can be dodgy. It must be done with a mass spectrometer, older technology is unreliable.

Then if levels r high, u can use this as an indicator to know wat to test blood or urine for. (urine is a better indicator) blood doesnt hold heavy metals for very long as they settle in tissues.

If u find a likly culprit, theres either hospital given chelators, such as EDTA or DMSO, or more easily obtained supplments such as chlorella, glutathione, NAC, etc. when chelating always supplement with minerals, fibre and probiotics, + lots of water.

just some ideas to think about. but first go thru doctor, see how far u can get.

Hope this helps.

actually after re-reading ur original post, and realising ur already on testosterone, and steroids, ive changed my mind.

a few questions.

did u get hormone levels tested b4 u were put on testosterone?

are the steroids topical or oral, or Intravenous?

do u use anything topically for anti-fungal use?

perhaps a good idea would be to start using t-gel or nizoral, to kill any fungal infection u may have. alternatively add some tea tree oil to ur shampoo.

also maybe reduce the dose of testosterone.

And it may be a good idea to forget about it for 2-3 months. It might take a few months for these things to have an effect. Remember once somethings changed in the blood, and starts to stop or start hairloss, u have to wait for the next cycle of regrowth.

Man I have taken every shampoo, nizoral, coal tar, salistic acid, tea tree, every steroid cream, flouicidide, ect ect ect. I was taking thyroid meds for the last year and it did nothing but make me feel like ****. i actually stopped the thyroid meds and my levels are fine. My hair on my head is getting thin and falls out like crazy. My eyebrows burn and sting and then they fall out. i absolutly have some sort of dermatitis under them. I can brush out flakes ect. I take test injections every week. I know this can cause hair loss but my hair loss was worse when I wasnt taking it. My liver fuctions are slightly elevated but nothing severe. I have had every test known to man done on my thyroid, ana, t3 t4, tsh, thryoid antibodies, ect. EVERYTHING started after taking a low dose of accutane 20mgs per day for only 2 months. I wiegh 230btw. I work out all the time and eat proper. My face is exctremly red all the time. I have alot of pain on my scalp and my eyebrows followed by hair loss. I have lost over 50% of my head and eyebrow volume in the last year. I am certian I have a autoimmune problem but the docs say no. I have been to 4 derms and one endo. I was feeling tired and depressed, all thyroid symptoms but the medicine did not help. Thats when the started the testosterone therapy. Now my face is super greasy and I have acne, great.

Do you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis? I remember seeing your hair situation and it was similar to mine. I have Hashimoto's which is autoimmune and my hair loss pattern was similar to yours. I am on a low dose of synthroid too. At first the dose was too high and I felt very energenic and easily lost weight. Now my levels are normal but I still never feel perfect. So your thyroid levels may be off. I have had eyebrow hair loss too and my temporal points have thinned out alot. I don't have the red itchiness you have. Its most likely autoimmune what you have and gets worse with anxiety and stress due to the fact that you are losing hair. I have it too. I don't have pain or redness in my scalp or eyebrows though. Make sure you are taking omega 3's. They can help with your conditions.
    Look to control your stress and anxiety. I just did another round of PRP with Dr Greco and I already notice its making my hair look better. PRP works great with autoimmune related hair loss. I would go to a top notch endo if you can that is open to answer any questions you have. Sometimes you have to just keep searching until you find an endo you fee comfortable with. I have a great one and he answers all my questions without any hesitations.
    House, MD: "See, this is why I don't waste money on shrinks, cause you give me all this great insight for free."