Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments

Creatine - Bad For Your Hair?

I've read various studies online about the use of creatine and whether or not it can effect hair loss. The two main arguments seem to be:

-that using creatine can accelerate baldness by producing more testosterone & DHT just simply by taking it regardless of how much you exercise or not.

-that creatine has no direct effect on hormones at all and the only reason that DHT & testosterone is increased is by the fact that you are able to exercise for longer & harder on creatine and that it is the exercise & muscle growth itself that boosts these hormones.

I've no idea which is right but I'd like to agree with the 2nd theory as in my case i dont think it would effect me so much as I mainly do cardio with a bit of boydweight exercise just to tone up and I'm not ever gonna end up a big musclehead like Arnie!

I bought some recently and used it twice so far and definetly noticed the difference in my workouts (was able to knock a couple of mins of my best 10k run time right away and pull ups / press ups were a lot easier) but I'm starting to worry that it's too good to be true. I'm on fin and have had decent results so far so I don't want to ruin them either.

Anyone used it before and noticed any effect on hair loss?

Re: Creatine - Bad For Your Hair?

I have been a frustrated bodybuilder since I was 15. Have used creatine since then.

No, it doesn't cause baldness. Unless it took 10 years to take effect (notice that correlating stuff is futile? )

Creatine is known to only work in anaerobic exercises. Anaerobic exercises are known to raise (slightly) levels of testosterone. There is your real correlation. I highly doubt there are any studies were they just gave creatine to some dudes and expected them to sit on their asses.

Very interesting.

This is the study mentioned in the articles

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19741313

RESULTS:
    After 7 days of creatine loading, or a further 14 days of creatine maintenance dose, serum T levels did not change. However, levels of DHT increased by 56% after 7 days of creatine loading and remained 40% above baseline after 14 days maintenance (P < 0.001). The ratio of DHT:T also increased by 36% after 7 days creatine supplementation and remained elevated by 22% after the maintenance dose (P < 0.01).

CONCLUSIONS:
    Creatine supplementation may, in part, act through an increased rate of conversion of T to DHT. Further investigation is warranted as a result of the high frequency of individuals using creatine supplementation and the long-term safety of alterations in circulating androgen composition. STATEMENT OF CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Although creatine is a widely used ergogenic aid, the mechanisms of action are incompletely understood, particularly in relation to dihydrotestosterone, and therefore the long-term clinical safety cannot be guaranteed.
    The loading dose was 25g of creatine and the maintenance dose was 5g.

To get 5g of creatine from your diet you'd have to eat a pound of red meat.

Food for thought, for those people that are too quick to dismiss the link between diet and hairloss.

Quote Originally Posted by sir chugalot

Food for thought, for those people that are too quick to dismiss the link between diet and hairloss.
    To get 5grams, you would need to eat more than 2 pounds of beef. Not even bodybuilders eat that much beef, they usually stick to eggs, fish and poultry for the majority of the protein intake
    And I think cooking meat destroys some of it, I might be wrong.

Also, consider that these were rugby players in competition.
    We all know that exercise (specially anaerobic exercise) increases Test and DHT.
    Is Creatine the real correlation or the fact that they increased their performance?

And here comes the inevitable question. Is it something to worry about it? Some people make it out to be like you are taking steroids. If the amount of Test was significant, everyone at the gym would look like a pro bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by bigentries

To get 5grams, you would need to eat more than 2 pounds of beef. Not even bodybuilders eat that much beef, they usually stick to eggs, fish and poultry for the majority of the protein intake
    And I think cooking meat destroys some of it, I might be wrong.
    I got the figure from this source

http://www.myfit.ca/foods_high_in_creatine.asp

After double checking on the net, except in rare cases more than 2lbs of beef sounds like the most realistic figure

I know the sample size is small but 56% is one hell of a leap for DHT, if that came out of performance gains alone, then surely there'd be a stronger link between hair loss and exercise.

More studies are needed, what's surprising in a way is that the body building community (which i'm not a part of) aren't all over this, as they love gathering info on this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bigentries
    No, it doesn't cause baldness. Unless it took 10 years to take effect (notice that correlating stuff is futile? )
    That's just the thing though, it might have done, the effects of DHT and therefore raised DHT are cumalitive all the time, some of use have had it in our systems for decades before noticing hair loss.

I got the figure from this source

http://www.myfit.ca/foods_high_in_creatine.asp

After double checking on the net, except in rare cases more than 2lbs of beef sounds like the most realistic figure

I know the sample size is small but 56% is one hell of a leap for DHT, if that came out of performance gains alone, then surely there'd be a stronger link between hair loss and exercise.

More studies are needed, what's surprising in a way is that the body building community (which i'm not a part of) aren't all over this, as they love gathering info on this kind of stuff.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3040039/

You can see that performance alone increases DHT by leaps

You probably don't see hair loss scares among bodybuilders because there is no real link. And bodybuilders are as paranoid as propecia victims

People freak out when they start to lose hair while taking steroids because there is a real correlation to the problem.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65971

There is a guy that is taking creatine, is huge, and having good results with min and saw palmetto

bull**** study .. was proved on bodybuilding.com in forum sections

Quote Originally Posted by thinninghairsucks
    bull**** study .. was proved on bodybuilding.com in forum sections
    Creatine research is full of controversial studies. The Caffeine connection still elicits forum fights and I think I first read about it in 2002.
    Loading phase debates are also fun to read