Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

[libido] how long till sexdrive return after stopping PROPEC

Hi guys, I'm new here!

I have two questions:

the return of baldness - after how long?
    1. Let's say I stop taking Propecia/Finasteride now. How long does it usually take for new regrown hair to fall out again?
    A week? A month? Six months? A year?

the return of libido & sex drive - after how long?
    2. If I stop taking Propecia/Finasteride now, how long does it usually take until my libido and sex drive are on the usual level again?
    A week? A month? Six months? A year?

I have been on Propecia/Finasteride for about 9 months. My libido and sex drive right now are acceptable, but a bit weaker than before I began with these meds.

I know there's an unlucky minority who's libido doesn't return even after stopping the meds, but I'm pretty sure I'm not one of them.

Re: 2 questions on STOPPING Finasteride - shedding+libido return

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Combover
    Can't answer the libido question. Remember sex drive decreases with age! In regards to FIN i have read about people who have stopped it and it has taken them 2-3yrs to go back to baseline. All depends how aggressive your hairloss is.

2-3 years makes sense because I read somewhere that when hair is in resting phase it can stay that way for 2-3 years.

Re: 2 questions on STOPPING Finasteride - shedding+libido return

Wow that's a long time, not bad at all!
    Thanks for the info guys.

If anyone knows how long it takes for the sex drive to return, please do tell!

I'm curious for both personal experience and generel knowledge! =)

Re: [libido] how long till sexdrive return after stopping PROPEC

libido can come back within a week of quitting fin and it could never back.. for me it took a few months...

cant remember for sure but i think merck has now included permanent ed as a side effect of the drug

Quote Originally Posted by stoja
    cant remember for sure but i think merck has now included permanent ed as a side effect of the drug

No they didn't. They added to their product insert that men have reported persistent difficulty in obtaining erection after quitting Finasteride. Merck still stands by the results of their FDA trials, and states that side effects will go away after discontinuing medication.

The drug is out of your system in a couple days, and your DHT levels return to normal in a week or two at most. Side effects will go away by around a months time, maybe two if you were on it for a long time.

In terms of the hair you have kept, I think it takes about 6 months before you start seeing your hair fall out. After around a year or two, your hair will probably return to the state it would have been at if you had never taken Finasteride.

Taking fin over 3~4months, I got ED, watery semen, huge fatigue.
    I didn't test my T/estrogen ratio, but quite sure something went really wrong every since I took that sh*t. my sperm count has increased after 2months stopping fin, but I'm still suffering ED

Sorry to hear about the problems you experienced. You had your sperm count checked before and after having taken Finasteride? How much did your count drop after having taken it? I would be surprised if this was caused by Finasteride. I know there is a study out there that indicates taking it can decrease sperm quantity and quality while taking the drug, but this quickly returns to normal after discontinuation.

I have been on Fin for almost 5 months and I would say my sexual ability has improved since when I started. I would probably attribute this to having gotten into better shape and working out regularly, but I donít believe it Fin has affected me in any negative way. The only side effect I noticed was testicular ache a few weeks in, and thatís it. That and fantastic results for my hair!

But yeah, before I started on Fin, if I had even a couple drinks, it was next to impossible to get it up for pretty much the rest of the day. Last night I had 6 drinks, and was able to keep it up for over an hour with the girlfriend. Fin does increase testosterone for most guys, so I might attribute this to that fact. I think over the last 5 months my sex drive has been better overall than the 5 months preceding.

Thanks again for the info..all this talk makes me nervous. I think I'll stop FIN now and see how my hair develops in the next 12 months.

If my hair begins to fall out that would confirm that I have MPB..and then I'll have to decide what's more important to me. Normal libido levels or hair.. :>

Questions:
    Are you married?
    (if not)
    Would you attract more women with, or w/o hair?
    (if the answer is "with")
    Wouldn't that equal more chances at sex?
    Wouldn't that balance everything out?

As for me, I would rather have 80% of my sex drive and 80% of my hair instead of 100% sex drive and 20% of my hair.

Also, my hair is pretty closely tied to my self-image. If I don't feel like I look good, then I imagine that my sex-drive would also decrease because I don't feel like I'm attractive.

Just some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawtashk
    Questions:
    Are you married?
    (if not)
    Would you attract more women with, or w/o hair?
    (if the answer is "with")
    Wouldn't that equal more chances at sex?
    Wouldn't that balance everything out?

As for me, I would rather have 80% of my sex drive and 80% of my hair instead of 100% sex drive and 20% of my hair.

Also, my hair is pretty closely tied to my self-image. If I don't feel like I look good, then I imagine that my sex-drive would also decrease because I don't feel like I'm attractive.

Just some food for thought.
    That would be a fairly logical argument but it's based on a few unrealistic premises.

Firstly, you have no idea how much % of libido etc you might lose. In my case it completely ****ed me sexually. Im still struggling a year after cessation.

Secondly, it's based on the assumption fin will keep your hair. It might, but the results vary.

Overall, it's the unknown that is the most dangerous part. If fin ****s you up then all bets are off.