Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Loss & Alopecia Information, Support, and Treatments
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Losing a beer belly

I'm generally fairly toned/slim....but have a beer belly.

I am vegetarian, and generally eat healthy (rarely eat fast food) but eat so damn much and drink a lot. Furthermore, as a vegetarian, my staple foods, potatoes, rice and pasta are full of carbs.

-So I'm going to gym twice a week
    -Eating less for breakfast and lunch with minimal carbs
    -Taking Phrase 2 'Carb Minder' tablets before dinner which apparently prevent absorbtion of up to 66% of carbs.
    -No more unhealthy snacks, crisps, sweets etc.

Is there anything else I can do, or any foods to avoid?

Thanks

Re: Losing a beer belly

Go to the gym more often or just walk more in your everyday life if possible. More salads and fruits instead of carbs.
    And i got no faith in your 66% carb tablet. it got to have some kind of side effect and if it do work and you stop taking it, your weight will just pop up fast again. Do it the real way without bs tablets.

Since you are a vegitarian i guess you take a multivitamin or b vitamin.

Thanks.

I already take multivitamins and try to walk to the station whenever possible.

As for the Carb Minder tablets, they are natural and proven by several clinical studies. However, I don't have much faith in them either, but they were on special offer so I figured what's the harm.

What exercises are good for specifically losing belly fat? Or is it just general cardio stuff such as running?

Step 1 .. stop being a vegetarian

Ignore this ^

You're basically eating a poor veggie diet.

Cut out the carbs (especially if it's white pasta) white rice and normal potatoes.

Have sweet potatoes (low gi, less holding onto fat) instead. Eat broccoli, pulses, more greens, chick peas, tofu.

Is there a particular reason you're a vegetarian? It's much easier to switch to a more protein and fat based diet if you weren't. Humans are omnivores for a reason.

^That's debatable but whatever..

If you're drinking a lot, that beer is sitting in your stomach at night and turning to fat.

Being a vegetarian is easy and it's more than easy enough to get enough protein if you're not an athlete (even then it's easy). Sounds to me like you have a bit of a carb addiction.

Stop drinking beer (until you're at your ideal weight then factor it in your calories for the day/week)

Cut out all pasta, rice, bread, white potatoes (for the time being at least, these things probably aren't helping your hair loss either)

Get a bunch of frozen veg, make stir fries (no noodles) curries etc. Add chick peas, soy beans into your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fundi
    I am vegetarian, and generally eat healthy
    Thanks
    Wait, which one is it? Unless you're a part of the very small % of the human species that thrives off of a vegetarian diet then you can't both be vegetarian and eating healthy.

If you're aiming for optimum health then you'll have to start consuming the foods that your body needs and that's largely animal based with 0% grains.

Although if you don't care about your muscle tone/heart health/cognitive functioning then don't worry about the meat, all you really need to do is cut out all of those carbs to get rid of the belly. "Beer belly" is really just "insulin resistance belly". ie: that's the start of metabolic syndrome.
    -Stopped my form of MPB through a simple diet change. At least 10% of the rest of you would respond from removing gluten from your diet as well.

-The modern day high carb diet is somewhat idiotic, out of the three caloric food sources it's the only one that the body has ZERO need for.

If i could give only one piece of advice, it would be to change your gym workout. No cardio (**** that), get a whole-body routine going and push yourself to the limit. Cardio is boring in the gym (running, rowing), instead play a new sport that you're interested in or an old one you love.

I stay fit because I ride my bike EVERYWHERE for cardio, and lift weights in the gym.

In terms of diet, always think more protein and less carbs. For veges chick peas are awesome, im not veggie but eat them almost every day.

I'll try and cover the points raised.

Being a vegetarian, mix between psychological and habit. I love the look and smell of meat, don't care about animals but can't bring myself to eat it.

I rarely eat junk food for things high in fat.

I do eat a lot of potatoes, rice and pasta but have started to cut down on this. And also, taking the pills I referred to containing Phase 2 before eating carbs and sea kelp.

I take protein shakes after working out containing minimal carbs.

I'm now also eating smaller portions.

So far, I've noticed, as well as my girlfriend, that my stomach looks less bloated. However, on the scales, I don't seem to have lost any weight. (Could be because of more muscle gained in my arms from working out).